PDA

View Full Version : pan nam wing chun

wingchunalex
02-17-2002, 10:41 PM
i was woundering about pan nam wing chun. my sifu said that the way he first learned wing chun it had eagle claw mixed in it and that it is simimilar to pan nam style. i was just woundering if anyone had any info on pan nam style or other wing chun styles that come from the same area.

reneritchie
02-18-2002, 07:09 AM
Hi Alex,

Most WCK that comes from Foshan is, in general, very similar to the Yip Man system, especially as seen in the Leung Sheung lineage. Most dramatic variations from this come from the integration of other related systems (hung fist, white crane, hakka, etc.)

Pan Nam was primarily a Hung Ga (Southern Siulam) and Qigong practictioner for many, many years who begean learning WCK from Jiu Chao (Jiu Wan's uncle), a student of Chan Wah-Shun's son, Chan Yiu-Min (Yip Man's sihing). He later continued with a student of Chan's named Lai Hip-Chi.

IMHO, his WCK shows his fondness for Hung Ga and Qigong, which is where the "eagle claw" and other flavors come through.

You can find some articles and notes at http://www.wingchunkuen.com/archives/systems

Rgds,

RR