PDA

View Full Version : capoiera

Starchaser107
02-18-2002, 01:01 AM
just started doing capoiera twice a week at this other place , in addition to my kungfu training, classess run for about two hours each and its a decent work out , its a different way of movement , im enjoying it alot. learning how to play the instruments and songs as well not just the movements, very cool . just sharing .
later.

Shaolin
02-18-2002, 01:28 AM
Traditionally a student would ask is first master for permision to study another art or under another teacher out of respect for that teacher.

Crimson Phoenix
02-18-2002, 03:41 AM
Shaolin, how would you know he didn't??
On a side note, I think this old mentality is past...I havee seen a lot of reputable teachers willing to become students again just to learn different things and encourage their old students to do the same and learn from whoever they can...

red_fists
02-18-2002, 03:48 AM
Hi.

The way I see it that you should tell your current teacher that you are taking another MA.

Why, your training and style will somehow be affected and your teacher should be aware of it.
Same if you got an Injury or a chance of circumstances.

Also your teacher might be able to help you combine both trainings to make them into your own system.

A lot of the old Masters often refered Students to other Masters/styles to complete their training.

Whatever you do, 1 style needs to be your mainstyle and everything else should be supplemental to that style.

And in order to do this you will need input from your teachers of the main style & other styles, as they might have information/suggestion that are not available to you as a Student.

Just my 0.2Yen worth.

Wong Ying Home
02-18-2002, 05:56 AM
Capoera is such a waste of a martial art, structurally weak,offers the body up for a mashing by any good martial artist, simply step in close down and stomp

mantis-1
02-18-2002, 06:53 AM
Most of my friends who do Capoeira don't do it for it's martial benefits, more as a social event. Although I have watched their master pull off some unbelivable kicks which ok may be very extravagant and not too much of a threat to some one with years of martial experience but if he got one through good night...

KnightSabre
02-18-2002, 07:31 AM
If I told my instructor that I wanted to do something like Tai Chi or Kung Fu on "other" days he will laugh at me.
However if I said I went to a boxing gym or maybe a wrestling gym he would be fine with it.
I guess he just doesn't take traditional arts seriously anymore.

apoweyn
02-18-2002, 07:45 AM
that's excellent. i've thought about doing that myself. i don't really care whether it works or not. it just looks like a lot of fun.
congratulations.

stuart b.

Xebsball
02-18-2002, 08:02 AM
Sabre, your instructor sucks ass :D

Shaolindynasty
02-18-2002, 08:39 AM
I didn't used to do it for "martial' benifits either even though it does work(see the other thread about it). It is allot of fun. The energy of the class is completely different to any other martial arts class I have seen. Good workout to, I doubt most of the people here could last a solid minute or two in the Hoda.

The people who "bashed" the art above obviously have no exprience in it. Don't knock it till you try it.

As far as teling your teacher. All I have to say is, why bother those days are dead. I doubt your sifu finds that disrespectful:rolleyes:

TheOnlyD
02-18-2002, 04:13 PM
Hey, I've been taking Capoeira for a year now and am going to my first Batizado soon. (I don't think I spelled that right...) And I jsut wanted to shard some stuff about Capoeria:

Yes, teh atmosphere of the class is VERY different form other Martial Arts. VERY relaxed and friendly. you feel as though you're part of a family, not a student of a master.

And hey, do NOT dis Capoeira as a Martial Art. Granted, when I first started I was a little skeptical, but after a year I consider myself as a Martial Artist. Capoeira DEFINATELY has some COmbat applications. yes, even against otehr martial arts. But I wouldn't be surprised if a kung fu master beat down the best Mestre in the world. But it can hold it's ground. I've seen my Mestre kick a guy across the room (literally) and he has jump kicked a man-size punching bag and it broke off the chain and flew into a mirror, breaking it.

It is a GREAT art.

JAZA
02-18-2002, 08:34 PM
Capoeria is Latin Blood, thats why the ambient and the fun.
Excellent work for legs.

KnightSabre
02-18-2002, 11:53 PM
Well my instructor grew up in a tough neighberhood in South Africa,he had to bounce for 4 years to earn a living and has been doing martial arts most of his life.

This includes traditional styles like karate,wing chun,praying mantis and more.He's done more than 10 years of boxing and has the rank of instructor in Muay Thai direct from Thailand.He also has a purple belt in BJJ under the Machados.

He has been in and witnessed hundreds of street fights including being outnumberred by 6 biker gang members(he survived and gave as much as he got).
He has witnessed many so called top karate or traditional instructors getting knocked out by street fighters.He says that boxing was his most valuable tool for street confrontaions.
If he has little faith in the traditional arts then it's from experience and not a biased view.

mantis-1
02-19-2002, 05:22 AM
Yo D where you from you sound familiar...where do you practice Capoeria

Starchaser107
02-21-2002, 12:37 AM
Wasnt aware that some might think its disrespectful, Dont you think thats a bit cult like ? I dunno , its not like im saying kungfu is lacking or anything. Secondly Im not being taught by a maestre , just a friend of mine whos at a higher level , and a travelling capoierista. Its a bit ridiculous to me to think one might percieve this as a betrayal , capoiera is a different ballgame from kungfu and its traditional so there wont be any interchanging of secrets or anything if thats what those who are concerned are worrying about.

As a martial art , Id say its not garbage and training in it strengthens things that one would not normally work. more knowlege is more power. like shoalin dynasty said dont knock till u try it.

Plus its significant for me to do this as the history of Capoiera comes from my own heritage . It started in slave camps , I appreciate that this came from my peoples , for those that cant identify.. tough

props to the chinese man for kungfu , okinawan man for karate korean man for taekwondo , im a black man so go figure why id want to do this.
peace.

Tvebak
02-21-2002, 01:16 PM
Capoeira has been influenced by all sorts of arts through history, so of course we have to be open and curious to the other arts that exist in my wiew.
Mestre Berilio told me that he found traces of both African, Portuguese and local indian MA in capoeira, and Bimba added throws from Batuque.
Today a lot of techs in modern capoeira comes from oriental MA and thats ok, i dont think that capoeira changes much more than any other MA its just that we are more aware of the changes.

Black Belt Jones 1
02-21-2002, 04:04 PM
A friend of mine used to have a roommate who was an exchange student from Sao Palo Brazil. He said that his father personnally wittnessed Rorion Gracie get knocked out cold by a Capoeistra many years ago. The Gracies of course would never admit to that probably but he said it is common knowledge among the martial arts crowd down there. Probably not advertised by anyone because of the Gracies' influence as well.

Stacey
02-21-2002, 08:01 PM
ba ba nu way, ba ba nu way ba ba ba, ba ba nu way,

Capiera is the worlds greatest art.

Actually I'm taking African dance and there is lots of kung fu there. Silk realing, spinning kicks, horse stance, front kicks. I love it.

Shaolindynasty
02-21-2002, 08:47 PM
Yeah some capoerista's are real scrappers. There are lots of challenges etc. between schools. I visited allot of schools in Brazil and some were flash others were very combat oriented like my Sifu's, Mestre Gato(master cat). He used allot of stop kicks to his students knees in the hoda. They also practiced with big kinves and sparks flew from them. I went into the hoda with razors between my toes there to. Very crazy stuff.

The cool thing about capoeria though is that they get together for what is called a batizado, after you test there is a huge celebration beetween different schools where they get together and have a hoda. For the people who tested they go in with a mestre and the mestre plays with them until they do a takedown then you get back up and they tie your new cord around your waist. Afterwards there is a feast with lots of women to! At least this was the case in Brazil. You also get etremely pumped in the hoda. Capoeria has an energy that I've yet to feel in any other martial art class.

Xebsball
02-21-2002, 08:56 PM
I feel tempted to correct your spelling :D

Shaolindynasty
02-21-2002, 09:08 PM
By all means please do!

also what is the orange juice from the fountain called I think it's

suco de laranja(sp?)

also I like the soda made from
Guanana(sp?)

Xebsball
02-21-2002, 09:30 PM
Ok :)

"Hoda" is spelled Roda. A direct translation to english would be wheel.

Suco de laranja is correct.

The soda one you mean is "Guaranį"

Shaolindynasty
02-21-2002, 09:36 PM
Thanks