PDA

View Full Version : Benifits of stance training?

Shaolindynasty
02-18-2002, 02:40 PM
I know what stance training is supposed to do for you but for those of you who do this training have you seen good results? What have the results been like in comparison to moving exercises?

Godzilla
02-18-2002, 03:32 PM
I believe my balance greatly improved from stance training. If lifted, I feel much more stable once my feet touch the ground again. I can find balance and the security of that balance quicker.

Godzilla

Braden
02-18-2002, 03:33 PM
Relaxation and structure. Means responsiveness and power. Wonderfull results.

Daredevil
02-18-2002, 03:34 PM
By my understanding ..

Stance training teaches you good structure and/or builds up internal strength. It gives you the necessary muscle development (which is secondary anyway, but one point) and acquired relaxation -- to really relax into your solid stance, not just an ability to suffer long in those awkward seeming stances.

I wouldn't square off stance training vs. moving training. First, you secure your stance with stance training. Then you take your developed structure into movement. You need both types of training to develop kung fu.

Like in so many instances of traditional trainign, stance training should be thought of as a method of training and not an end in itself.

fa_jing
02-18-2002, 03:35 PM
Yes, I've been doing serious stance training for about 1.5 years, I find it has helped my knees tremendously, and increased my kicking power against the air shield. I have more size and definition in my leg muscles. My wind has increased. Compared to weight lifting, which I have been away from for a long time, I'd say weight lifting made my leg muscles stronger in terms of lifting a heavy weight over a short distance for limited reps. Stance training increased my muscular endurance more, as well as my tendon strength, which means the stance training has done far more for the power of my kick. So if you want to lift weights or have big thighs, I recommend squatting heavy, while if you want a strong kick and strong knees, I recommend focusing more on stance training. That has been my experience. Horse Training has the added benefit of loosening my tight hips, and has helped my body structure and general posture far more than lifting weights. That said, as I mentioned in the other thread the stance traing should be followed by some kind of moving training so that you circulate the energy in your legs. I imagine that some could do this through meditation alone, but I am not qualified to comment.

-FJ

-FJ