PDA

View Full Version : OT: Water Supply

prana
02-18-2002, 06:44 PM
Al-Qaida terrorists have scoured the Web for information on the computerized systems that control water distribution and treatment, NIPC warns.
By Kevin Poulsen
Jan 30 2002 2:14PM PT

Members of Osama bin Laden's al-Qaida terrorist network have sought information on the Web about the networks that U.S. utility companies use to remotely control water supply distribution and treatment systems, according to a bulletin issued by the FBI's National Infrastructure Protection Center (NIPC) Wednesday.

"U.S. law enforcement and intelligence agencies have received indications that Al-Qaida members have sought information on Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems available on multiple SCADA-related Web sites," reads the bulletin. "They specifically sought information on water supply and wastewater management practices in the U.S. and abroad."

SCADA systems allow utility companies and municipalities to monitor and direct equipment at unmanned facilities from a central location. Dedicated communications channels link a control center to hundreds of "remote terminal units," which in turn control water pumps and other equipment.

The NIPC bulletin went to some 3,000 members of the center's InfraGard program, an information-sharing partnership between the NIPC and private industry.

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/319 for more

Budokan
02-19-2002, 08:58 AM
Dumping biologicals and plutonium into the aquifers could only help the horse pi$$ that passes for potable water here in Mississippi.

JasBourne
02-19-2002, 09:11 AM
huh. I thought the whole "pour LSD into the water supply" bit went out with the yippies in the 60's.

Weren't we totally paranoid of that for like 30 years? I would assume that messing with the water to the point where you could do significant damage would be very very difficult...

PHILBERT
02-19-2002, 12:09 PM
I don't see how it would really help. A few years ago there was a huge oil spill in the water supply that comes to my house, and none of the oil made it through the filters. They can clean out any biological disease just about.

Ray Pina
02-19-2002, 01:11 PM
... just about.