PDA

View Full Version : Baoding Balls

red_fists
02-19-2002, 12:41 AM
Hi.

How many of you use Baoding Balls, Dragon rings, Chin Na Bags or similar for your Chin Na training.

I am not talking the hollow ones with the Bells, but the heavy solid steel ones.

My Style uses the Balls, and so far I have not found many Practicioners that use them nor are aware of this training method.
Ours are 1.65 pound each, which is heavier than what I an find for sale online. :eek:

So let me know if you train similar to this.

vingtsunstudent
02-19-2002, 01:10 AM
this is not meant to be rude red fists but.......
in the one month you have been a member of this forum you have made more posts than i have in a year & a half.
so my question is.....when do you actually train?
it seems every time i check in you have a new topic posted & every time i go to read someones post you have an answer there,
again, i am not questioning your knowledge or really even the amount you post, i am probably more so asking what sort of good life do you have that you can afford to be at KFO all the time.
vts

red_fists
02-19-2002, 01:14 AM
vts.

I post mostly from Work, similar time to you Guys down under.

Also you will see the numer of posts drop in about 30 minutes as I head home.

My main training period is Weekends.
If you check you will see fewer posts on sundays & saturdays(JST).

;) ;)

P.S.: I consider your post rude.

vingtsunstudent
02-19-2002, 01:22 AM
that's because i actually am a rude SOB.
cool job anyways odviously.
some people have all the luck.
vts

red_fists
02-19-2002, 01:26 AM
vts.

My Job is assisting clients with installation and customizing of software we sell to them.

So a lot of boring Support work(Q & A) and standby at the office.
Not heading out much to Clients at the moment, most of the stuff is done via Mail and Net.So I get lots of PC-time at the office with not much to do. ;)

Having 18yrs of solid experience also helps in solving problems fast.

But great for doing research and annoying people like you. ;)
Also having a 24/7 connectionat home helps.

Ka
02-19-2002, 01:36 AM
Hey there
Yep I have used the balls but not through MA,I started using the iron balls(we got some truck wheel ball bearing) as part of finger training for climbing.More as a injury prevention and warm up device.We circle the 2 balls without letting them touch,change direction and turn the hand upside down.
Whats the go with the chinna bags?

red_fists
02-19-2002, 03:19 AM
Hi Ka.

Just got home. We do the same with the Balls, but got a specific breathing pattern.

Not sure exactly about your question
regarding the chinna bags.

But my Wife should have about 8 ready by the weekend, than it is time to fill them.

jon
02-19-2002, 05:37 AM
First off, i personaly enjoy your posts.
Im glad you find the time to get around the boards and ill often read a topic simply becouse i see your name as either the poster or if you have replied. I also post a LOT and sometimes feel foolish about it, in reality however i DO have a life and im sure so do you, if we choose to spend our free time posting then its only a bonus for any who wish to partake in debate. Dont feel guilty about doing what you enjoy, even if others fail to understand.

Regarding your question.
I have personaly been shown useage for the balls in my Hung Ga and as stated we try to do it without them touching.
However we also do them on the side and upside down and obviously then you NEED to have them touch i would think.
As for Chin Na bags we also use these, they are usualy about a foot square and 3 inches thick, canvas and filled with concreate mix. They can break fingers if your not carefull and we use them to strengthen our wrists and tiger claws.
We do both two man excercises and solitiary ones. We also use the same sacks for iron palm training and several other conditioning excercises.
Im not sure what you mean by dragon rings but Hung Ga traditionaly also uses iron rings for strengthening the forearms and also for conditioning the mind for battle.

P.S the balls make a nasty weapon if your that way inclined
;)

red_fists
02-19-2002, 07:04 AM
Hi Jon.

Thanks, for your kind words.

Dragon Rings are large rings that are bassically held only by the fingertips.

You could also use some very large wooden balls or similar.

Here the idea is to develop gripping/holding strength at the end of your fingers. So I don't think that weight is a major issue in the exercise.
I found one site that sells all 3 things discussed in this thread, but the link is back at the office.

Soon time to go to sleep over here. ;)
So I will post the link tomorrow from work.

Another tool we use is the Silk/Bamboo fan to start developing the Hand for the Jian Grip later on.
Very light, but the fan is either balanced in the Hand or only held by 2 Fingers.

Seeya.

P.S. We also use the Balls during Form practice. Normally we start using them about 1 ~1 1/2 yrs into the training.

red_fists
02-19-2002, 04:21 PM
Hi Jon and all.

Here is a link to a site that sells a wide range of MA Gear and weapons.

The link will drop you into their Chin-na Section.
They also have a range of Iron skill Goods and Jow.

WingLam (http://www.wle.com/store/chinna.html)

I haven't order from them yet, so can't give an opinion on their goods quality and service.

Ka
02-19-2002, 06:25 PM
Hey redfists
Whats the go,as in how do you use your Chin na bags?
Sorry a bit of Aussie slang for ya!
Jon
Haven't got down there yet but I will soon,in relation to the balls we grip them with our fingers to keep them separated.It sort of goes between thumb pinky and palm and the other three and palm.

red_fists
02-19-2002, 06:32 PM
Hi Ka.

I mostly use them for catching, but haven't tried the technique posted by shooter yet.

Bassically I throw them up and catch them in the same hand.

Very basic training at the moment.

Ka
02-19-2002, 06:52 PM
Wow quick reply,What sort of weight are we talking here?I take it they are sort of bean bag consistency?
thanks

red_fists
02-19-2002, 06:57 PM
Ka.

Oversized juggling balls(leather), bout 0.5kg at the moment.

Need to get some Lunch, speak to you later.

Shooter
02-19-2002, 06:59 PM
Here the idea is to develop gripping/holding strength at the end of your fingers. So I don't think that weight is a major issue in the exercise.

red_fists, did you notice that there are three graduations of medium (and weight) between beginner, intermediate, and advanced bags? There's a reason for that beyond what the practitioner's conditioning is in terms of toughness. ;)

red_fists
02-19-2002, 07:03 PM
Shooter.

With the Dragon Rings it goes small to larger, as well as an increase in weight.

Pls, reread my Post as the sentence you quoted was not about the Bags but about Dragon Rings.

Shooter
02-19-2002, 07:06 PM
ah...my mistake. Sorry about that. :)

red_fists
02-19-2002, 07:07 PM
No problem. ;)