PDA

View Full Version : 10 Seeds of Choy Lee Fut differant between lineages

Gwa Sow Chop
01-19-2001, 01:41 AM
Always found this interresting.
The founder Chan Heung stipulated 10 seeds of clf. These ten seeds are differant from lineage to lineage.
Here are a few examples:

10 SEEDS OF JEUNG HUNG SING CHOY LEE FUT

1. gwa choy back fist strike
2. sow choy sweeping punch
3. chop choy stabbing punch
4. pow choy uppercut punch
5. cop choy stamping punch
6. pek choy hammer strike
7. biu jong darting strike
8. chin jong crashing strike
9. chuen lau siezing hand
10. na sau grasping hand
btw....Tat Wong uses these 10, from what I am told. Makes sense because I believe his lineage is from jeung yim.

To further complicate the issue, my one of my bok sing clf sifu once told me that they only "recognized" eight seeds, and that the other two seed were in fact grabs or blocks.....and not true seeds. He said true seeds were strikes (his thoughts only.....not mine....:-) )
Gwa, Kup, Chap, Pow, Jong, Bin, Pek, Sow.

doc fai wong lineage.(from what I have heard)
chum la gwa sow chop pow cop biu jong den

By the way....my sifu told me that some schools use pek instead of chin because it works better in the poetry.
But one school uses the following seeds.....
cum, nah sow gwa chop pow jong been cop ding biu pek
They use pek and chin.....very confusing as they are the same strike, are they not?
(note 12...not 10!!!. ****... another wrinke here:-)

Anyone like to share their 2 cents on the seeds of clf??

GS

[This message was edited by Gwa Sow Chop on 01-19-01 at 05:55 PM.]

jdhowland
01-01-2013, 03:51 PM
There was one on the same subject just a couple of years ago but it turned bad quickly so I found this one. I was discussing the seed concepts with a student two nights ago and thought I would see if there are different takes on the CLF ten concepts.

Here's an addition: http://www.hungsingchoylayfut.com/desktop_007.htm

jdhowland
01-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Query:

Why is pun sau not an element even though it is one of the first techniques taught in both Chanfam and Jeung Hung Sing's branches? True, it is superficially similar to kam jeung but the applications are different.

hskwarrior
01-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Why is pun sau not an element even though it is one of the first techniques taught in both Chanfam and Jeung Hung Sing's branches? True, it is superficially similar to kam jeung but the applications are different.

pun meaning what? the way we use the kam jeung is as its mean to be....but the other similar one is meant to crush.

CLFNole
01-02-2013, 08:16 AM
Poon/Pun - inward circular block

And to the original poster Gwa Sow Chop - TMW line is really more from the Chan Koon Bak side of things. I am from his lineage (Lee Koon Hung) and although we are a mixed lineage most of our forms come from the Chan Koon Bak side but again it is mixed so probably concepts and techniques from both sides.

hskwarrior
01-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Poon/Pun - inward circular block

And to the original poster Gwa Sow Chop - TMW line is really more from the Chan Koon Bak side of things. I am from his lineage (Lee Koon Hung) and although we are a mixed lineage most of our forms come from the Chan Koon Bak side but again it is mixed so probably concepts and techniques from both sides.

oh ok i thought he was talkin bout poon.....thanks bro

CLFNole
01-02-2013, 08:35 AM
:eek::eek::D

hskwarrior
01-02-2013, 08:35 AM
I love workin on our Poon Tang. :eek::eek::D