PDA

View Full Version : Combat Judo Article

Black Jack
02-19-2002, 09:49 AM
As some of my study/training comes from WWI/II close combat and I also have a interest in its history, founders, pioneers, methods, in my research I came across this article that I thought some would find interesting.

Kano never intended his system to become a combative sport as we see it today, and from what I hear about judo today, some say it is hard to find a hardcore judo gym than one could find in the past, but a full-spectrum self defense system.

This was back when the terms Kodokan jujitsu and judo were used in the same context and when in the old western military circles it was just known as combat judo, as in the old 1940's b&w h2h book "Combat Judo" by a man I do not remeber at the moment as I am at work and not at home with my collection, I believe this close combat instructor called the shuto's, judo slashes.

This article also states what he believes are the ryu's Kano used to construct his judo system, those being kito and Tenshin-Shinyo Ryu.

I just thought some judo folks might like it.

www.blackbeltmag.com/archives/blackbelt/1992/jun92/combatjudo/combatjudo.html

shaolinboxer
02-19-2002, 11:34 AM
I'm sorry, but this article does not seem very accurate.

I believe there are better sources for this material than black belt magazine.

Ryu
02-19-2002, 11:55 AM
I've seen this site before. :)

Not bad, but not all that impressive to me either. Still interesting though.

Ryu

Hercules
02-19-2002, 12:20 PM
Black Jack,
Have you tried looking into the works of Fairburns and Sykes. They were, some say, the founders of the modern self protection movement. The were trained in Shanghai in various Chinese and Japanese styles including Judo, and have mentioned the Combat Judo you refer to in some of their writings. It would be interesting as they were training around the time of Kano, so maybe they were getting it a little less diluted.

Hercules.

Budokan
02-19-2002, 12:51 PM
Black Belt Magazine doesn't have a track record of being historically accurate. See if you can't run this info down from some other source...?

Black Jack
02-19-2002, 01:38 PM
Guys,

I know that blackbelt mag has a rep for sheer horse-crap, I only posted the article as a point of interest, nothing more or nothing less.

Myself, I know better than to follow a bb article, its just something for others to make judgements on, something to share as I have been known to do from time to time.

Hercules, Yes, I know about Fairbairn and Sykes, plus a host of other players in that field, Fairbairns certificate was signed by Kano himself back in the day, which made me wonder about the connection in this bb article and what was being taught back then.

Here is something I don't understand, why do a number of people on this board state something is inaccurate, but they don't state why and how, then they just disappear.

This is just an article, nothing more and nothing less, when I am presenting a subject I want to debate, I always back it up with data.

I don't know what inaccuracies your looking for but here is an article by Kano himself (1887) which states which ryus he learned from as well as another article pointing out some of the listed sidenotes in the BB article.

http://judoinfo.com/kano6.htm

http://judoinfo.com/jhist.htm

Both talk about the striking aspects of the system, its founding jujitsu ryu's like Kito, Tenshin-Shinyo, and others like Kushinryu and Sekiguchi ryu.