PDA

View Full Version : Where do you go......

Arhat of Fury
02-19-2002, 01:09 PM
Where do you go mentally right before engaging in a fight.
Not looking for answers like" Im just waiting for him to move so I can kill him". Im looking for more of spiritual answers. It is well known that a true kung fu stylist practices to be very calm during a fight and to work off of natural reactions that have been embedded in the brain through rigourus training. Where does your mind go to remain calm so as to not think and not frustrate the minds involuntary command oin the body. Do you train for this?How?

I will share mine a little later!

AOF

Ray Pina
02-19-2002, 01:24 PM
My nerves are more of a "I better not lose to this guy" sort, rather then "Man, that guy is big."

I get antsy before a training bought, when I know I'm up next ... or will be soon. But, once up, I just watch the guy. I don't try to calm myself down, rather prepare, brace myself. I stay loose, but at the same time brace myself in case soemthing does come through. I think my #1 advantage, is that often I can turn a bad situation into a good one. I just need to get my hands on 'em, and soemtimes that process can get bumpy.

I think staying calm, and being bale to take a shot are important. OF coarse, not getting hit is ideal, but the other guy is training too.

The street is different. No time to think. You may see it esculating, but when you are involved, one brief moment to say, OK, its going to happen, here we go.

As a kid I worried about not coming home with a bloody nose or black eye. After all, my dad worked hard to pay for Karate lessons. Now, as a young man, street altercations are more serious. And if I was to get into one now, it would most liely be because of a mugging or random act of violence on the subway with tough guys. In that case, I'm going all out and then downgrading the violence as necessary if I gane control.

PhoenixPangaryk
02-19-2002, 01:32 PM
Assuming this is a serious altercation.

I attempt to establish quick triggers that promote me moving into a tunnel. Emotions like fear and anger are very good if channeled correctly. This tunnel is very focussed and can be very dark. No attachments to the emotions any longer, just reactive, destructive, penetrating energy.

The triggers I use promote the 'fight' switch rather than the 'flight' switch. Once the fight switch is fully engaged, I am fully engaged with the 'enemies' energies and very dangerous and focussed. Engagement of energy is key and will/intent are vital to have correct action.

I could elaborate, but no need to at this time. You may want to ask Sam Wiley his opinion on this one. You may find his approach interesting.

Best Regards
Phoenix

Xebsball
02-19-2002, 01:34 PM
Keep the mind clear, calm and empty.
Analyze your oponent and your surrounds with your senses (eyes, ear and stuff).

If you have really learned the stuff it will come out naturally with no thinking at all when the action begins.

KC Elbows
02-19-2002, 01:42 PM
I agree with the calm and centered thing. When I do well, this is usually the state I'm in, really awake, like in certain meditations.

When I do poorly(sometimes against my sifu, I psych myself out, and often I make the mistakes that get me collapsed, and he hardly has to do a thing), I lose that state, and come from fear or anger: either one is less useful to me in fighting than calm.

Justa Man
02-19-2002, 02:31 PM
hmmm...i just absorb myself into the moment as best i can, at the same time as removing myself from the moment. my opponent no longer is a person, and neither am i. i don't mean to bite bruce, but "I" doesn't exist during a fight. I look to move with him like we are dancing and hopefully my martial reactions work. I've been approached by brother students, who after watching me spar, say "wow, you did a great job." and my gut response has always been to say, "really?", cuz there was so little i remembered. i sometimes take on this quick mindset before sparring that i am a cat and the other person is a mouse, and it is only natural that i thrash this mouse to pieces.
i train this by meditating everyday, and by visualizing myself kicking butt.

respectmankind
02-19-2002, 02:42 PM
Detachment from all else, in that I lose anything that would hold me back from doing what is most effective.