PDA

View Full Version : OT: Bye, Bye, DVD.

red_fists
02-19-2002, 09:39 PM
Hey you Guys.

Been reading the News.

DVD's are a goner, the latest hottest thing are "Blue Ray discs".

Re-Recordable and about 6 times the capacity of a DVD same disk size though.

Players should be soon available.

It was developed by Korean, Japanese and European Companies.

David Jamieson
02-19-2002, 09:45 PM
It's only a matter of time until we are born into life support boxes with virtual reality as our only way of experiencing life.

We will not know that we are in these boxes though and.... wait a minute, that sounds like the matrix...

nevermind.
peace

fmann
02-19-2002, 09:50 PM
And while the rest of the world was adopting CD's, music stores in America only sold tapes...

DVD's are still going to be here for awhile.

kungfu cowboy
02-19-2002, 09:52 PM
Well, I'm going to have the electroneurological contents of my brain dowloaded into an organic supercomputer and then transform into a self-contained portion of the electromagnetic spectrum and shot into space for deep interstellar travel.

Nexus
02-19-2002, 09:55 PM
At which point "actual" intelligent life will find your brain matter and transform it into a basketball at the local alien b-ball rec center.

kungfu cowboy
02-19-2002, 10:04 PM
I sure hope there's a lucrative contract involved!

Budokan
02-20-2002, 08:36 AM
LOL!

Highlander
02-20-2002, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by red_fists
Hey you Guys.

Been reading the News.

DVD's are a goner, the latest hottest thing are "Blue Ray discs".

Re-Recordable and about 6 times the capacity of a DVD same disk size though.

Players should be soon available.

It was developed by Korean, Japanese and European Companies.

Did the story say anything about bringing back 8-tracks?

Budokan
02-20-2002, 08:48 AM
I won't be satisfied until they bring back the Victrola and the old 78s.

Ray Pina
02-20-2002, 09:06 AM
Of coarse. Of coarse. I just got a DVD.

I get atari, they come out with Commadow 64. I get an Apple, they come out with NIntendo. I get Nintendo they come out with Sega. I get Sega, they get Play Station.

I stopped at Playstation.

But now I see I'm cursed for life with this d amn technology. Hard to stay stoked when there is soemthing much better out.

TigerJaw
02-20-2002, 09:42 AM
These discs have been in development for a long while, ever since the first blue light emmitting semi-conductors were made by the Japanese fellow, Fujimoto I think was his name.

Fear not, the beuty of disk based media is that they are backwards compatible. All DVD players can play store-bought CD's. Some perform well enough to be the main CD player in a high-end stereo, soon the CD player will become obselete but CD's won't for a lot longer.

The next generation of DVD players will play DVDs, VCD, CD etc so you won't have to buy your movie collection all over again. Besides, these lasers have limited lifetime so they're a long way from going into production.

raving_limerick
02-20-2002, 11:31 AM
yeah, but will we ever see them in the US? The entertainment industry HATES any new form of media that is re-recordable- CD-Rs, DVD-Rs, etc...

My guess is that we won't see this here in the states until the new technology is almost obsolete itself.

Kumkuat
02-20-2002, 01:35 PM
yeah, not to mention mini discs. Those things are pimp. I don't know why it isn't very popular outside Japan.