PDA

View Full Version : Dog Attacks!!

sticky fingers
02-20-2002, 07:04 AM
I've read somewhere that if a dog attacks you, offer your forearm(preferably wrapped by a jacket) and when it bites immediately hook your other forearm around the back of its neck, while pushing your bitten forearm further into its mouth. Then crank its head backwards and hopefully you'll break its neck. Or bite off its nose. Can anybody verify if this works? Are there any arts that train in countering dog attacks? Are there any other techniques I can try on my neighbor's cute Lhasa Apso?

Dog attacks are as real as any human attack. This is the latest from CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2002/LAW/02/19/dog.mauling.trial/index.html

This is the breed that attacked. Would you rather face an unarmed 200lb man high on speed or a 100lb+ one of these:
http://www.dogocanario.org/

I'll take my chances on the man ( I can outrun him)

Snapper
02-20-2002, 07:18 AM
I can verify that this does not work. . . . When dogs knawed half of my arm of I remembered the gem of information above unfortunately it only had the effect of agrovating the dogs more........ For the full story of my dog related struggle please see pages 2 and 3 of my thread titled "Why will nobody fight me"

red5angel
02-20-2002, 07:34 AM
I was noticing something along this vein the other day. Dogs tend to fight 'visually'. I noticed with my dog, when playing I can flick my hand out about shoulder length and he will watch it, taking his eyes off of me, and specifically my legs. I tried it again, just giving him a quick but gentl nudge with my leg and caught him wit hthe 'kick'. I would be willing to bet that this may work in an attack situation.
Obviously animals are unpredictable and it may not work. I had a similar experince to what you describe, the dog went after me, I instinctively put my arm out and he grabbed my forearm. I used the oppurtunity to grab him by the scruff of the neck and basically flip him over, sitting on him. At that point he let go, I got him by the throat and gave hime a good swat or two across the head, he scrambled out and took off. I still have some small scars.
I think the problem with fighting an animal like that is dogs in general seem to be able to ignore things that humans sometimes have a problem with. That and a lot of people I think give themselves a better chance against animals in thier mind. My brother for example is convinced that if he were ever attacked by a dog he would "just do this..." or "just do that....its just a dog".
I train dogs. most of which are small cuddly house dogs, but I know dogs are quick, and they are tough. I would rather be fighting a 250 lb man then a 100 lb dog.

JasBourne
02-20-2002, 07:59 AM
The dog will latch on to something. When it does, poke its eyes out. That's also a good way to get sharks to let go.

Badger
02-20-2002, 08:00 AM
Just throw out a handfull of Hostess Fruit Pies to the dogs.
They seem to work in every situation.

Badger

JWTAYLOR
02-20-2002, 08:17 AM
Do a search for this within this site. There was a big argument on it a year or two ago with some good information. I think it was posted in the "reality" forum.

If you can't find it, I'll be happy to go over my experiences raising Greaty Danes, Rottys, and Pit Bulls.

JWT

Water Dragon
02-20-2002, 08:33 AM
Just kick the dog in the head. Or carry a pocket knife.

guohuen
02-20-2002, 08:44 AM
The only way I've been able to get a dogs fangs out of me was with a back heel kick to the stomach. Took the fight right out of him. Tore my forearm up good first.

Crimson Phoenix
02-20-2002, 09:13 AM
I know of a guy who it happened to, the dog (a german sheperd I think) bit his arm, and the guy told me he choked the dog by pushing his arm inside the dog's mouth while at the same time wrapping his legs around his belly and squeezing real hard.
The dog choked eventually, the guy had a nasty scar left, but he was alive, kicking, and didn't lose the usage of his arm.

Highlander
02-20-2002, 09:18 AM
Never been attacked by a dog, or at least not that I can remember clearly, but I do have a dog and here are some observations.

1) When my dog was a puppy I taught him not to bite. He would bite onto my arm and I would gently push it back into his mouth. This would cause his mouth to open to a point where it was uncomfortable. Pretty soon he stopped biting. However, I don't know if this would work on a highly motivated, angry or fear biting dog.

2) Secondly, when a dog bite, the bite is a puncture wound. Once the bite is applied the dog will jerk back and forth to get a ripping effect and this is where the major damage is done. Hypothetically, the more we resist this thrashing, the more damage will occur. Has anyone considered going with the dogs force and using it against him, similar to the way we would against a person?

sanchezero
02-20-2002, 09:21 AM
I had an altercation with a dog that went poorly in my teenage years and I spent some time trying to figure out a better tactic than just getting eaten. :)

If you can, keep the dog off you and beat it until it bails. This probably wont work if you're unarmed and it's bigger than a beagle. So, you'll need to give it something to keep it occupied; unfortunately this is usually an arm. You have to time this carefully b/c most of their damage is inflicted by the shaking they do after they lock on. The initial bite from most :( dogs won't do too much damage.

As soon as it locks grab its lower jaw with your free hand and force your fingers deep into its mouth and get the tongue. Pressure on the the tongue seems to really loosen 'em up. Combine this with lifting them off their front feet so they lose traction.

From this point you can pretty much do whatever you need to do.

This all comes from my own experimentation with a few ghetto guard dogs. I am not a dog trainer and these dogs were not trained attack dogs, just angry and beaten. So, apply salt liberally.

I think the big problem comes with multiple dogs as that is all too likely. I see roving packs even in major cities. You pretty much fu(ked then, eh?

rubthebuddha
02-20-2002, 10:58 AM
i've found that, if you can, offering up a forearm wrapped in a jacket or something is really helpful. had my friend's shephard attack me, and while he was ruining my sweatshirt, i gave him a really hard palm to the ribs. knocked the wind, the fight and the snot (literally) right out of him. that gave me a chance to pin and restrain him a bit. wound up wrapping the mutt up in a bug throw rug.

basically, don't bother hitting them on the back. you're going to need to go for the head, neck and underbelly do do a proper amount of damage.

Rolling Elbow
02-20-2002, 11:03 AM
"if" and "but"..,

those are always great but I might as well add my two cents. I have heard that ripping their front legs apart will collapse their chest and kill them. They have week legs, that is no doubt in any dog when they are not standing on them. Granted you have to watch your face and neck..if a dog grabs one of your foreams then make the move to grab the other leg and hold on until you can tare it or cause him to trip..if he stubmles, i would suggest applying pressure with the knees to the whole body and watching the snapping jaws..pin the back, ribs and neck and at least his jaws have less range....then what? lol, beats me, chain punch?

S.Teebas
02-20-2002, 11:05 AM
that gave me a chance to pin and restrain him a bit

Interesting, becasue we are so much bigger than dogs (well most of them) this is a viable option. Where as if it was somthing bigger or stronger than ourselfs striking, i believe, would be the best option.

Does this relate to human fighting. (ie, striking vs grapling) If you are stronger then wresteling is a good option but for most others who dont fit in this category then striking etc may be a better option to subdue the agressor...

What do you think?

red5angel
02-20-2002, 11:14 AM
The problem is there are a lot of if ands and buts.
Waterdragon said the same thing my brother would say, "Just kick it in the head". Well, If you have ever tried to kck a dog, you will see why this is most of the time not an option, they tend to scramble out of the way, you possibly landing a weak blow, and they they ar ein again before you can react. Running long distance on a team around my neighborhood has shown me this time and again.
I think for myself, my tactic will be to first just try to intimidate the dog, sometimes, if you make yourself bigger, yell really loud, the dog will back off. If he doesnt, I will wait, and if he manages to get a hold of me, I will also be able to get a hold of him, then I will fight like him, savage and without any real motivation other then to do as much damage as possible.

rubthebuddha
02-20-2002, 11:51 AM
teebas: i restrained the dog (about 80-90 lbs. -- a beefy shep) because i knew that if i injured or killed it, i'd have lost a frisbee buddy (him) and probably a good friend (the owner). the dog was coming after me and i was taking my sweatshirt off. i had enough time to stuff the shirt in the dogs face as it jumped and palm it's stomach in a way akin to an uppercut. i got a couple nasty cuts from his claws, but it kept his face away from me while i hit him and then restrained him with my body weight (about 145 at the time). he wound up with some bruised ribs, and he's still a little shy around me, but everytime i see him, i make sure that he spends a goodly amount of time getting some attention. after that, he's curled up at my feet like he always did.

lowsweep
02-20-2002, 12:11 PM
A dog's nose is extremely sensitive. I was always told to hit the nose if at all possible. This should either scare the dog away or at very least send him into a fit of sneezing (im serious, and it does work, I've used it), giving you time to get a lock, pound him, whatever you like. I have never tried the choke with one forearm in the dogs mouth and one behind his head, but I have shoved a hand that was being biten down a dogs throat and they stop very fast, believe me. The only lock I have found effective on a dog is both hands around his neck and hang on for dear life, cutting off the air supply through the throat. It's not easy to do if the dog catches on, they instinctively tuck their chin. If you can get it, the dog will scratch, bite, claw, anything to get out, and whatever you do don't let him! I have never fought a trained dog so I wouldn't know what to do in that situation. There was a good thread in the street fightin/reality forum a while back and you might try a search.

txwingchun
02-20-2002, 12:12 PM
My neighbors weiner dog charged at me I stared him down. But the monster still came at me, I don't remember much after that. Just a blur of fur and claws when I came too I was bruised but otherwise alright and the weiner dog was nowhere in sight.

Black Jack
02-20-2002, 12:41 PM
Best bet if forced to face a strong and determined dog is a blade.

My breed is the APBT, have been around them a LOT my whole life, I have grown up with them, I have owned them, I do own them, IMHO the best dog hands down.

Most gentle dog in the world, but if any of my family was attacked, lets just say you would need a knife and even then you would come out messed up, if come out at all, once one of these dogs has a grip on you, your pretty screwed.

Talk about pressure points, these dogs could teach Dillman the real stuff.

I have also encountered a number of other dogs, both trained in ring work, like the mondo sport, or in defensive work, or just testing out there first bite. American Bulldogs, Olde English BullDogges, American Banddogs, Cane Corso's, Neo's, Irish Strattforshire Terriers, Presa Canarios, Rotts, Shepards, Akitia's, Brazillan Mastiffs, Dobs.

Presa Canarios are the new fad, I have mixed performance reviews about them myself, handsome animals and tough as nails.

OC Spray can work on somedogs but the best bet is IMHO a blade if you HAVE to go close quaters.

Aramus
02-20-2002, 12:56 PM
My mother grew up on a farm. There were cats, dogs, horses, etc. If a dog got to playful she would use a spear hand to shove down the dogs mouth. The dog wouldn't be able bite down and start to choke. After that the dogs tended not to want to bite. She also got in a fight with a neighbor dog. She used the same tactic and slammed her hand into the german sheppards mouth choking it. This allowed her father time to run over and knock the dog over and assert his alpha dog status (ie I rule and will kill you). She had a scar on her face where the dog tried to latch on. She was very young

My friends Tae Kwon Do instructor in High school took out a rabid dog in the neighborhood. The dog jumped at him, he knocked it down with some sort of double hand strike and then poked out the dogs eyes and kicked it away. Shortly after, the dog laid down, all the fight out of him and was captured and destroyed.

When I was younger (12ish) I had to out run or kick down dogs around my neighborhood as they ran at me on my bike. I think they were just trying to protect "their territory" although that sometimes included the road. I think they were content to see me ride off.
I guess if I was attacked I would continously strike the dog with elbows, fist, knee, foot, etc. and try to take out the dogs eyes if given an opportunity.

Peace ...and I hope no one gets attacked by dogs.

JasBourne
02-20-2002, 12:58 PM
Poke 'em in the eyeballs. There is no animal in the world that will not recoil in excrutiating pain if you burst the eyeball itself, and it is a very delicate organ, so one good poke is enough for painful and permanent damage. That's why we have 'no eye gouging' rules everywhere.

:D

KC Elbows
02-20-2002, 01:05 PM
Jas, don't say "eyegouge" around the MMA's. It gets 'em all riled up.;)

Nexus
02-20-2002, 01:08 PM
I've been attacked by a dog before, and when its coming at you full force you don't have a lot of time to think about the maneuver you are going to do. This one was a huge Chinese Fighting Pit Bull, about the size of a german sheppard. It jumped at me, and I put my right arm in front of and it snapped onto my arm around me wrist. I then rolled backwards and kicked it on the underside of its head, snapping its jaw and head upwards and causing it to release. As I rolled backwards I completed the roll so I landed on my feet, and the dog was stunned for a moment whereas I took off over this hill between the dog and the road. It was a tight spot.

As for how to deal with the dog if you have time, break its legs. As someone already said, dogs have week legs, you can grab them on the front and twist them inward and they will break or you can pull them fast and quickly outward.

Just don't run, dogs are fast and will take out your ankles/legs.

The same Dog that bit me ended up attacking a kid in the street nearby my house a few months after my attack and tore up his legs, ripped off his nose, and bit apart the top of his head.

The kid ended up with over 1,000 stitches before the dog was put down.

- Nexus

Black Jack
02-20-2002, 01:52 PM
"Chinese Fighting Pit Bull"

Do you mean a Tosa??????

They are the fighting dogs used in Japan, they mostly go against uphill gamebred pits, and are being bread with some gamebreds themselves to produce a tougher dog.

The Tosa though as massive, 150lbs plus dogs, freakin huge, this was either a young toso, or something else.

Highlander
02-20-2002, 02:45 PM
Just a little insight about dog attacks.

I don't know if this will be helpful to anyone, but someone mentioned problems with dogs when riding bikes and I have had problem in the past when riding my motorcycle. What is taught in the motorcycle training classes is that dogs attack along a straight line. That is they judge your speed and pick an intercept point. So when you see a potential threat, slow and then when you get close speed up. I have had to use this and it worked, at least on a motorcycle. So the next time you are approached by a suspicious dog watch the line it takes to approach. Unless you are completely stopped, it will be a line to an intercept point. Have you noticed that if you just stop the dog will stop briefly. It has to readjust it's line.

Like I said, I don't know if this will help anyone on foot, but I thought I'd throw it out there and it may spark some ideas from other people.

Or you could just poke 'em in the eyes. ;)

Fu-Pow
02-20-2002, 06:06 PM
There was a story in Taiji magazine not to long ago about Chen Fake's altercation with a dog. Apparently, a rabid dog attacked him. At the last minute before the dog reached him he put is hand up redirecting the dogs attention upward. In that instant that the dog lift it's head he kicked it under the jaw, sending it flying 20 ft in the air and killing it.

Don't know if that would work if you weren't Chen Fake....

Anyways, I think that pound for pound animals are much stronger than humans....