PDA

View Full Version : Chi and the loss of limbs

Snapper
02-20-2002, 07:07 AM
After many years of experiencing chi, i was in an accident whereby my arm was unfortunately ripped off. since this experience i want to ask you if anyone else has this similar experience.
As all of us who practice the internal arts know, chi can be felt through out the entire body (all limbs). Since the loss of my arm however i have been able to regain the feeling of chi where my arm once was. I feel i may have tapped into a new level of 'chi experience'!

Does anyone else have this same experience as me?

Kempo Guy
02-20-2002, 09:36 AM
Although I haven't experienced this personally, my father lost his leg in an accident several years ago. He also feels his "limb" that's no longer there. For instance, he says he can wiggle the toes he no longer has.

Also, whenever he is close to high current powerlines he gets serious pain in his "leg". (Don't know if this is a common occurance though...)

I have met and spoken to many people who has lost limbs (my father is quite active with this community) and almost all of them have told me they have experienced similar things.

Don't know if this helps at all, but thought I'd share what I've been told.

KG

Cody
02-20-2002, 09:36 AM
While my experience does not encompass yours, I do have an idea.
I don't think it is uncommon to have any variety of sensations where a limb once was. Has to do with neural connections I believe. Been a long time since I've done any reading along those lines. I would tend to include any other sensations, especially any related to innervating muscles which are no longer there, as part of this phenomenon. So, I wouldn't exactly call it a new level, but a different kind of experience due to your training.

wishing you well,
Cody

Nexus
02-20-2002, 01:56 PM
You can knock people out using your invisible limb. They'll never see it coming!

KC Elbows
02-20-2002, 02:35 PM
OK, you actually got me laughing, Snapper.

Let me guess, you've got your phantom middle finger extended right now?

Tell us about the dogs again. I love that one.

red_fists
02-20-2002, 02:39 PM
Kempo Guy.

What you described is called "Phantom Pain" or "Phantom Limb".
It is a very common among amputees.

It can be so bad that People will even try to use that limb.

Example:
Leg Amputee wakes up, sits up in bed and tries to stand and walk, falls over.

I believe there are some methods that can help, but would need to do a bit of searching in my archives.

bamboo_ leaf
02-20-2002, 04:54 PM
red fist, beat me to it, :)

I have heard that they call this phantom limb and it is a common experience with people who lose limbs.

What is interesting is the explanation of why or what is really being felt.

As I understand it, it makes perfect sense in relation to what is written about shen, yi, chi.

Apparently when we are young the mind has to map the body with its awareness of the body. There are cases where for some reason this doesn’t happen. For those people they have to directly look at the limb to move it other wise they have no sense of it.

We are always talking about mind, intention and energy. I think this is a very good example of what is really happening. First in sprit, then in mind this leads the chi to activate the movement.

I think for much of what is called internal practice it is a way of getting in touch with that awareness and directly increasing this feeling. Eventfully learning how to sense and manipulate others on this level.

sorry to hear about the loss.

Nexus
02-20-2002, 04:59 PM
It's not a complete loss, bamboo the one-sided taoist. :)

KC Elbows
02-21-2002, 01:11 PM
I'm begging you guys, ask him how he lost his arm. The story is just classic, though I would've taken "John Deere" as my handle were this my troll, but I'm just nitpicking.

OK, I'll do it.

Snapper, how did you lose your arm?

Kempo Guy
02-21-2002, 02:07 PM
red_fists,
Yes, phantom pains, that's what my dad calls it. I just couldn't think of it when I was writing it. If you find some information in terms of the methods that may help, please let me know.

Bamboo Leaf,
What you're saying makes sense. Never actually thought of it that way.

KG

CD Lee
02-21-2002, 05:59 PM
I think surely they banned this guy. They have deleted all his posts which became frankly disturbing. He may not answer. Needless to say, he is a fraud. KC, since they deleted all of his posts, and he probably won't get to reply, please tell us. Was it not a pack of wild dogs that ate his arm off or something? :D

red_fists
02-21-2002, 06:13 PM
Kempo Guy.

I don't think there is a cure as yet, still not understood enough.

Here are some links that might help:

http://www.amputee-online.com/amputee/phantom.html

http://www.stoppain.org/pain_medicine/phantom.html

http://www.farabloc.com/mUBC.html

http://www.cheshire-med.com/pr
ograms/farnum/amputee/pain.html

I also think that acupuncture can also help.
Actually there is a lot of info out there on it and a lot of research done.

Personally, I would shy away from drugs and rather try some natural/alternative remedies.

Hope this helps.

red_fists
02-21-2002, 06:20 PM
Kempo Guy.

I will also ask the one Lady at my Kwoon if Tai Chi has helped her ease the pain.

That will be tomorrow JST.

Kempo Guy
02-21-2002, 06:36 PM
red_fists,

Thanks for the links! I'll pass those on to my dad. I'm sure he'll appreciate it. My father has never used any pain killers to alleviate his phantom pains, however has considered acupuncture...

Thanks again.
KG

Snapper
02-22-2002, 07:19 AM
Sorry KC Elbows.
The story about losing the arm was a flash of insiration I can't remember the wording. Maybe you should petition the moderators to give you a copy

KC Elbows
02-22-2002, 03:27 PM
CD, its a difficult story for him to tell. You see, he was working the thresher, it was a hot day, and, god this part is really hard for him to tell, but he had just got done cleaning the hot dog juicer, and his arm was just covered in weiner water...this is making me cry right now...anyway, he had just finished with...that, and he was working the thrasher when his cufflink was dragged into the machine, and, oh god this is awful...pardon me, its just so much...anyway, his arm was really chewed up, and see, his dad kept this pack of half-starved chinese fighting dogs...and they had come around, hoping to score some weiner water....

I can't go on. Oh, the humanity.:eek:

CD Lee
02-22-2002, 10:59 PM
:D 'Cmon! You gotta finish!!!!!!

Snapper
02-23-2002, 03:56 AM
KCELBOWS:
Now that is not a very acurate retelling of the story...........
My bullsh*t stories are alot better than that.
Come on if you are gonna retell the story at least make it good :D

KC Elbows
02-23-2002, 08:31 AM
You're right, Snapper, I forgot to point out that you were in a tutu at the time...any way, poor Snapper was staggering away from the thresher and just crying out...cause the weiner water was really stinging his arm, which was just hanging on by little stringy bits...

...oh god, I just can't do it.