PDA

View Full Version : Could some of the more experienced martial artist on the board tell us what to look for and how to t

FIRE HAWK
04-20-2001, 07:17 PM
What are the signs that a school is a McDojo or a McKwoon.

WongFeHung
04-20-2001, 11:44 PM
watch the students. On the whole, if you see many students wearing lots of different ranks, but with very little skill, it means that the school is a belt factory. Don't make this assumption by looking at one student who might not be gifted, or posess natural ability, or that the school has a ranking system(many traditional schools now have adopted this)but that on the whole, there is a lack of foundation training, and technique being taught.

WongFeHung
04-20-2001, 11:58 PM
here's some more: beware of the hard sell. Used car salesmen or Health Club salesmen turned martial arts instructors-closed-door sales-high pressure. Now, again, don't get confused with a teacher using enthusiasm to sell what he believes in, or contracts either. Sifus deserve to make a living, and deserve to get paid for their time and effort, and students should pay tuition on time, and with consistancy. Contracts ensure this, but do beware of a binding contract, or one that signs you up with a bank -as opposed to a tuition billing service. There should be a method of cancellation should problems arise. I'm not too keen on limiting this to a medical condition, or moving either. I feel that if a student really doesn't like it here, he shouldn't be forced to stay. This leads to griping either in the lockerroom, on the floor, or by parents in the reception area, and this disention spreads like cancer. Cut it out. When these guys leave your school, they badmouth your school and your character to anyone and everyone. Not a good thing.

Water Dragon
04-21-2001, 02:38 AM
I feel, when you see the real thing you know it. It may take a while to get to this point but eventually you can just tell what is real and what is not. It doesn't mean you're good yourself yet, but the ability to differentiate is an achievement in itself, IMHO.

Although there are many styles, they all depend on the strong beating the weak and the slow falling to the quick. These are not related to the power that must be learned -- Taiji Classics

UberShaman
04-22-2001, 05:09 PM
One of the surest signs is if they promise youll reach a black belt within a certain time frame. I remember one school that advertised only two years and 2000 dollars and you to can be a black belt. Another symptom is if you have to buy your supplies from the school itself, usually at vastly inflated prices. Unfortunetly, you have to know real martial arts before you can easily spot
the fast food versions and this is what they bank on.

wisdom mind
04-22-2001, 09:52 PM
i couldnt resist:)

if you feel in your heart its wack then leave

if they pressure you to join too much, belittling you if you choose not to train.

if the sifu cant fight.

if the top student is weak...

Lucky Red
04-23-2001, 11:36 PM
here is some

1. u learn a new very difficult and advanced technique every time practice it twice

2.they force the word street effective down youre
head more than 100 times during a Practice houre
this may not be fake but then again it is assumpition i would have made if u learn alot of techniques each time

Evil grows deep in shallow Minds

WongFeHung
04-25-2001, 05:30 AM
we sell weapons and supplies to our students and discourage them from buying it themselves for a few reasons. One, I am friends with the supplier and I can go into their basement warehouse and go through each and every weapon to choose only the best ones for myself and my students. They, on the other hand will have to take whatever they give them. I know a little about weapons, and can spot good quality from poor, balanced from imbalanced. I also get better prices for them than they can get-sure I get a profit,I'm entitled, I go into Chinatown, do the work, pay the parking, gas, deal with the bumper to bumper traffic, but they still save $$$, and get higher quality than most people. Also, when it comes to sparring gear, I only use the bestfor my guys, and will not allow my students to use something that offers less than proper protection. Sure it costs a little more, but it's a whole lot cheaper than the emergancy room. Besides, if taken care of, it will last many years and ends up being a good deal. BUT-there are definately schools that sell garbage at high prices just because they went and had their name screened on it-beware of this. Problem is, the beginner doesn't know good quality from bad. It's like buying a used car, and we all know that story.Mty students trust me, and know that I want the best for them. In our school, there are no hidden costs. I tell them outright before they sign up,, that over the course of three to five years, they will have to invest in gear, training weapons, test fees, and uniforms. We are very up front about this.

meltdawn
04-25-2001, 06:09 AM
Don't go if they have a picture of Don Knotts on the altar.

Don't go if you smell Pier 1 Imports Vanilla incense.

Don't go if they make you wear spandex.

Don't go if they sell t-shirts with CardioGrrl as the mascot.

Don't go if the teacher wears orange robes, shaves his head and is not Chinese.

Don't go if they have Bingo Night.

Don't go if the calligraphy on the school motto is upside down.

Don't go if they sell ninja uniforms.

"Waiting is bad." - Musashi

joedoe
04-25-2001, 08:14 AM
If it says US Shaolin-Do :D

-------------------------------------
You have no chance to survive - make your time.

8stepsifu
04-26-2001, 07:15 AM
If it simply says "Kung Fu"

If they have no lineage.

If you pay a certain amount of money for your next belt rank (and then you can take as long as you want to get there) and then OH look how fast you are progressing!!

If it is a mix of 8 styles that the instructor knows nothing about.

If they learned their Tai Chi from a videotape.

don't worry be happy

dunbarj01
04-26-2001, 08:08 AM
When you ask: what style of Taichi do you teach?

And they give you a quizzical look.