PDA

View Full Version : Your first time experiences of teaching ??

stuartm
02-21-2002, 02:41 AM
Dear All,

I was wondering how many of the Sifu's on this forum felt during the first lesson of their clubs.

While i have trained people privately and as an assistant instructor, it was my first night teaching in my own right last week and it was a bizarre experience.

What were your experiences. Here are some of mine:

1. Patience - I 'd forgotten how diificult it is for beginners to comprehend the basics of WC. Despite it being a straightforward system, the teacher still needs to understand how alien it his to his new students. Yee Gee Kim Yeung Ma - is mind boggling to newbies. Quite funny to see how long they can sit in the stance !

2. Comprehension of time - Am i going too slow or too fast ??

3. Motivation - I suppose this rlates to the above. I know that students need to concentrate on basics, but at the same time you are conscious that you need to keep people interested. Ultimate they have come there to learn self-defence, and students soon get fed up with stepping, punching, turning and then more stepping !!

4. Anti-climax - As a teacher you are deperate to get people interested and progressing as quickly as possible. Once you experience all of the above, you realise its going to be a long haul. As such, at the end of the lesson I felt a bit flat and that the lesson had gone really badly - however i realise in hindsight that you need to be patient in developing your own school.

5. Student discipline - I think i was quite lucky in this respect. I had 9 students on my first night, all male , all beginners. However, one or two had done martial arts before and so there confidence was higher and they were naturally more aggressive. The majority there were still lacking in confidence and so it was essential that those with experience 'took it easy' on those less experienced.

Im sure as time goes on things will get easier, and no doubt many of you here have had similar experiences.

I would be most grateful if you were willing to share them !

Thanks all, Stuart

Nat from UK
02-21-2002, 06:07 AM
Firstly Good Luck and I hope everything goes well for you. :)

It will all be worth it when one of your students, (not the gifted ones, the other type of student) finally gets it, the penny drops, you get the smile and the "aaaaah I get it" and you know that they actually do get it !! - Then it will all be worth it.

Nat from UK

stuartm
02-21-2002, 08:57 AM
Cheers Nat !!

sanchezero
02-21-2002, 02:16 PM
This is an off-topic and somewhat intrusive question, so I won't be offended if you blow it off.:)

How did you get nine guys on your 1st night? That seems really good. I ask b/c I have a kungfu brother that will be teaching soon and I'm just curious about the marketing new teachers do.

Oh, oh, heres another one...Do you have your own space or areyou sharing? Whats your space like?

While I have taught classes in my school, I'm not a sifu and I'm not sure I have the nerve or drive (?) to give it a go. Such a commitment. My hat is off to you. :)

Congrats and best of luck.

WCFighter
02-22-2002, 08:04 AM
Teaching new students does takes a lot of patience, but it
is worth it when they finally get it.

Someone asked about advertising.

I have found that advertising in the local newspapers for
1 day is pretty expensive, and you really do not get a lot of
responses. If you have the money, then try advertising on a
regular basis.

I teach in a room I rent from a community center, and I find that
leaving fliers in different places inside the community center
(weight room, etc) attracts a lot of people. Also placing them
on bulletin boards in pharmacies, and grocery stores etc.

If your town has Community Center Seasonal Recreational Guides that come out every 3 to 4 months, then it may be worth it for you to advertise in them because people keep them around
for months, unlike newspapers.

And don't forget word of mouth. If some of your new students
are truly excited about their classes, then they will tell their friends about it.

:)

jesper
02-22-2002, 12:52 PM
Get hold of a camera. Tape yourself doing instructions, its a must if you really want to improve your teaching.
Its also good to show your students their moves once in a while. A bit of tape speaks volumes, when you show them their mistakes.

Always have a clear plan as to what to teach. Divide your classes up into very specific subclasses:

Fx for a two hour class.

20 min basic (kick/punch)
20 min footwork
60 min differentiated train (each train according to their level)
20 min sparring/conditioning.

Remember to be prepared before every class.

Follow these advise and you will quickly feel an improvement in your teaching.

Lastly, teaching isnt easy, it takes a while to learn, so just hang in there

stuartm
02-23-2002, 04:50 AM
Hi Sanchezero / All,

Thanks for the comments of support !

I did quite a lot of marketing before i opened - about a month in advance. I put up flyers in shops, local colleges / university and Chinese restaurants who are always happy to help those who promote Chinese culture.

I als set up a small website and linked to it from good WC sites. I also announced it on this forum if anyone remembers.

I rent a local church hall which is really nice - spacious, wooden floor, changing facilities and they let me keep my dummy there permanently.

I was really pleased with 9 on my first night - id be more than happy if i had 9 regulars n the future, As im sure most of you will agree its better to have 4/5 quality students than 20 no-hopers !

Thanks Jesper by the way - the taping idea sounds like common sense!

Best Wishes, Stuart

whippinghand
02-24-2002, 01:09 AM
Consider everything you knew up until now as bull. As much sense as it made to you, as much as it seemed true to you, as much as you believed it. Consider it bull.

Hopefully, teaching will change your view of Wing Chun as you know it. Don't pass on your misconceptions, nor your self-deceptions.

Matrix
02-24-2002, 08:17 AM
If you consider it bull, what are you teaching :confused:

I agree that your point of view will change when you teach, but I'm somewhat baffled by your opening remark.

Matrix

whippinghand
02-24-2002, 03:10 PM
only the opening remark?

S.Teebas
02-24-2002, 03:23 PM
i only taught beginners for a while, teaching greatly improves what you already know....my advise to you is make sure you have time for yourself too! (keep learning!)

Matrix
02-24-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by whippinghand
only the opening remark? Yes. I guess the moderator edited out the real content. ;)