PDA

View Full Version : How often do your gains go up?

CrazyDan
02-21-2002, 01:19 PM
I've knida been stuck with the same weight for a while, but changed things a little bit in my workout, so hopefully my gains will go up :)

How often do your gains go up?

lowsweep
02-21-2002, 04:38 PM
For dumbell bench press, I try to do 5 pounds more (per dumbell) every two weeks. Curls are a little slower, 5 pounds every three weeks about, but that one varies more since I switch up workouts more for biceps, I find it harder to make gains with them. I had to stop squats and deadlifts, and won't be able to do them until sometime in early march when I either get myself a barbell or a weight room membership, so I can't say what my gains lately have been for those.
Everyone has a genetic limit on their strength. Basically, your gains slow down as you approach this limit. To keep gains as high as possible, switch up routines often (everyone will tell you something different, I do as soon as my gains begin to slow, usually about every two months, less with curls). Always try new stuff, if you do a pyramid for a while, try a reverse pyramid. Switch up positions, lifts, sets, anything to confuse your body and make it keep gaining.

IronFist
02-21-2002, 08:22 PM
Hey, if you don't have a barbell for squats or deadlifts you could always do weightless one legged squats.

Iron

IronFist
02-21-2002, 08:24 PM
btw, don't worry about genetic limit unless you've been lifting seriously for at least 10-20 years, and most likely even then you won't be at your genetic limit.

Iron

Ford Prefect
02-22-2002, 07:48 AM
My lifts steadily increase. Re genetics: It's widely accepted that everybody has the genetic capability of hitting "elite" class power lifting numbers (ie 600-700 lbs squat/dead and 400-500 lbs bench) You just need the right way to train.