PDA

View Full Version : Focus

zen_celt
02-21-2002, 04:18 PM
Hi everyone,
I was wondering what kind of meditation/focusing exercises everyone here does to help concentrate on their MA during practice. Usually I can do just fine by going into the workout since I just automatically start focusing on my movements and such, but lately I've found that it doesn't work. I went outside and was practicing for an hour or so before I quit because I couldn't concentrate and wasn't getting any productive work done. I can't even keep my mind clear in class anymore. :mad:
So, if anyone has some good breathing techniques or stretching, or meditation, or whatever, please help me. This is driving me nuts. Thanks in advance.
-ZC

respectmankind
02-21-2002, 04:34 PM
i focuse on my body, and relaxing to the point that i not even my eyes blink when touched

prana
02-21-2002, 04:50 PM
9 round breath exercise.

Imagine

Inhale through your right nostril, and out through your right
Inhale through your right nostril and out through both
Inhale through your right nostril and out through left

Inhale through your left nostril and out through your left
Inhale through your left nostril and out through your right
Inhale through your left nostril and out through your right

Inhale through both nostrils and out through your right
Inhale through both nostrils and out through your left
Inhale through both and out through both

With each inhalation, breathe in great white blissful light, using only your visualisation. With each exhalation, breathe out all youy darkness as grey or black smoke. Your breathe should be relaxed...
Or the other is just to sit down , and relax and be happy because you realise the that human mind is like a weak candle flame in a storm, wind blows it goes, never still. And if you keep watching it like that, you are strengthening your mind... just let the thoughts come, you sit down and watch them come and go, without becoming with the thoughts.

zen_celt
02-21-2002, 05:26 PM
prana,
I do something simiar to that already and it works most of the time..I think I'll try it again.
BTW, how do you breathe through one nostril?
Thanks
-ZC

prana
02-21-2002, 05:51 PM
great question.

It usually suffices to simple use your intend and visualisation. But remember, it is just not air you are breathing in, but white blissful peaceful energy, and releasing the stress, bad, negative, hindering thougths.

Some people use their fingers of their right hand, the index and the pinky to block one or ther other nostril, the palms facing outwards.

Stacey
02-21-2002, 07:12 PM
RespectMK.....hmmm. Is that perhaps too lax. Tai chi classics refer to lax, but agile and allert, are you this or rather dormant.

I'm sure that is a very high level of relaxation, but I had this funny thought of someone so droned out that they get pummled 20 times and fly against the wall without any normal human reaction.

Just a strance though, I'm sure you would turn though, touching my eyes creeps me out, I can't wear contacts.

JasBourne
02-21-2002, 07:26 PM
Get a hot tub and a good Swedish massage, then go out on the town with friends. You're too wound up.

;)

sanchezero
02-22-2002, 12:01 AM
Kinda agreeing with Jas here...

You may have plateaued. You may be bored.

Try to work on something completely new/different. If you cand do that take a few days off and play video games, eat and 'emit ging' ;) You should be OK after a bit of a break.

respectmankind
02-22-2002, 12:47 AM
I do it to A) refresh my muscles, so they are relaxed, less injury, B) help me get into the mind set that i use to fight with