PDA

View Full Version : Choy Li Fut questions

EAZ
02-22-2002, 07:00 AM
Hi,

I do not practice this style, but would like to know the following, if any CLF students out there are willing to help me.

1. Is there a lot of jumping (forward or backward) in CLF forms, or is it exclusively on the ground?

2. Does CLF have a form called four horses charging or something to that effect?

3. Does CLF have a form called 3 attacks / defences or anything sounding like this? (it may have a lot simultaneous kick with 2 hands hitting out straight forward)

4. What of a form called 5 elements?

Thanks

GOLDEN ARMOR
02-22-2002, 09:45 AM
I havn't been training long but from what iv'e seen so far CLF is mainly a grounded style but it does have a few jumping techs. that iv'e seen. In the 5 wheel fist there's 2 jumping sweeps & in the sand bag form there is a jumping tech. too. Also iv'e seen them in the intermediate forms & on chinese new year i seen the white hair form performed that had jumping. So yes there is jumping in CLF but from what iv'e seen its not overdone.

2. The form is called Sze Mourn Kiu Jo Sarng Ma (4 Door Bridging, Running the Live Horse) or "Running Horse Form" If this is the one. There's a article on clfma.com, looks like a cool set for footwork & bridging the gap.

3. I have read that that there is a form with the no. 3 in it & that CLF is influenced by the Art of Numbers.(Shu-Shu)

4. I havn't heard of a 5 element set but the 5 Elements are mentioned on the same place i read about the numbers sets.
clfma.com u should ask these questions there.

Fu-Pow
02-22-2002, 11:29 AM
I may have confused people talking about "jumping in" in the other post. I'm not literally talking about jumping up in the air (although CLF does have techniques like this) but rather throwing your whole body weight behind what your doing. Thats not to say that you are just " throwing yourself " at your opponent, but your arms, waist and body mass all work together to generate power. When you do this you maintain a low stance but jump a bit forward on your lead leg, then back foot slides up. It happens very fast and it is not really a jump actually more of a "skip" because one leg stays on the ground and all times.

This kind of attacking is very powerful. But it is definitely slower than other styles and if your not careful you can throw yourself off balance. In real life close application I would guess these types of movements would be for "finishing" the opponent rather than as a lead in.

Arhat of Fury
02-22-2002, 11:31 AM
To my knowledge(in my branch) there are aerial kicks as well as in air straight forward kicks. As far as the gymnastic type tornado kicks and such, CLF does not contain these flowery moves. CLF was developed to fight off an ambush, this means many fast deadly pressure point strikes that are practical and decisive.

Amitoufu,

AOF

EAZ
02-25-2002, 08:25 AM
Yes Fu Pow I was led to thinking that you actually meant jumping in your previous post. Thank you for clearing that up.

Arhat of Fury
02-25-2002, 09:40 AM
I am no inspector gadget, but what previous post of Fu Pows are we talking about?
:confused:

AOF

EAZ
02-25-2002, 10:41 AM
see CLF and Wing Chun comparison thread