PDA

View Full Version : Silk Reeling

batesy
02-22-2002, 12:26 PM
While training Chen style single-hand silk reeling last night I began to feel that my arms became very light, almost hollow. I was making a lot of effort to move from the centre so I'm guessing I was doing something right. I have only been doing Chen taiji for about 6 months so I'm an infant and was hoping for some idea of what was going on physically and perhaps in terms of energy movement. I only see my Chen teacher once a month so subsequently have to work a lot on my own. Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Batesy

Water Dragon
02-22-2002, 12:34 PM
You're beginning to develop your body connections. Whatyou're feeling is a result of better blood flow through the arms. You probably wont be able to do it again, you'll try to hard. Don't worry about it, that's how it goes.

A couple month backs I found my Jing and was able to actually fold the heavy bag when I hit it. That's gone now :(

Nexus
02-22-2002, 01:58 PM
Tap into the tao and wow!

I've had a few formless moments, they are all inspiring!

kungfu cowboy
02-22-2002, 07:07 PM
And it tastes like chicken!

bamboo_ leaf
02-22-2002, 07:29 PM
;)

Out of the formless depths a laugh arose

chen zhen
02-24-2002, 12:04 PM
******... I practiced Tai Chi for almost a year 2 times a week and I never had felings like that... I feel very frustrated right now...(punches fist through wall in frustration)

Kumkuat
02-24-2002, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I felt that too-- on the very first day I began taiji long ago. So I know I didn't do anything right, my posture was probably crap, but I still felt that. At that time, I thought I figured out something, but it probably was nothing.

Crimson Phoenix
02-25-2002, 02:19 AM
Chen Zhen, if you can already punch your fists through walls, you needn't be so hard on yourself ;)

Kaitain(UK)
02-25-2002, 06:04 AM
a couple of times I've managed to throw someone off balance in pushing hands without any exertion at all - as though they threw themselves off-balance. I didn't even feel like I added to their force or anything - it genuinely shocked me as much as it shocked them - they hadn't felt anything either - it just happened.

Never once been able to deliberately reproduce it :( - coolest feeling in the world though :)

bamboo_ leaf
02-25-2002, 08:42 AM
“A couple of times I've managed to throw someone off balance in pushing hands without any exertion at all - as though they threw themselves off-balance”

aah the heart of the matter, pushing is not pushing after all.

they did but you lead them there. This is very hard to work with because as you said it feels like nothing. Try not pushing and just follow the emptiness and firmness of the others changes. as well as responding with change to the others force.

It requires that your balance and ability to change, non use of force, as well as real softness be very good or least better then the others.

If you try to do it, it won’t happen. Just listen and wait for the change with no thought in mind. Most important you must relax more. there are other aspects but if you can do this, it is already very good :)

TaiChiBob
02-25-2002, 09:13 AM
Greetings..

Grasping, we cannot hold
holding, we cannot keep
keeping, we cannot have
only in releasing
will the process flow
only in forgetting
can we truly know

Grasping for something is an affirmation that we don't already have it.. We have all things already.. needing only the awareness to access them.. we call that training.. That training is both physical , to hone the tools we use to express our awareness.. and spiritual, to hone the awareness itself

Those flashes of clarity and the subsequent manifestation of true Chi connectivity are just glimpses of the full potential.. Keep the faith, in the words of a great Master.. "ask believing, and it is already done".. Train, knowing that you are moving toward that which you already are.. and, your arrival is directly proportionate with the degree to which you believe it.. it's not "magic", it's more than that.. it's LIFE..

Be well, do good deeds (deeds define us)..