PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Boards!

Tinman
02-22-2002, 05:35 PM
Last night I crushed through 3 boards with a punch.Then sliced right through 4 with the Knife edge.
Deadly hard combat.That's what it is in Goju ryu Karate.
How many boards does a kung fu guy go through?If any.
Karate,tough as nails.

Tinman
02-22-2002, 05:42 PM
I'm just excited about last night.

Shaolindynasty
02-22-2002, 05:50 PM
"How many boards does a kung fu guy go through?If any"

None we usually don't waist our time with macho displays like that and if we do we use bricks:D

Ryu
02-22-2002, 05:50 PM
Real fighters punch through opponents.
I ground and pounded my training partner.

Get lost troll.

Ryu

jon
02-22-2002, 06:20 PM
"Last night I crushed through 3 boards with a punch.Then sliced right through 4 with the Knife edge."
* I just use a saw;)

Break though with an egg in your hand without cracking the shell and you will be my hero.

Punch a hole [not tear] though a piece of paper held in one hand i will respect you.

Smash a wallnut suspended by a string using a pheonix eye you have my blessing.

Rip chunks out of door frames using tiger claws and ill be proud.

Catch fish from a pond using your bare hands and ill bow down.

Tear a phone book in half using only your hands and ill get out of your way.

Punch a hole though a door using a crane fist and ill humble myself before you.

Untill then stop hurting innocent peices of wood...
Stop pretending your above KF guys.

PS all of these things can be done and several by my sifu or sigung.

jon
02-22-2002, 06:23 PM
Congratulations on your break.
Ive done a bit of wood breaking in the past myself, im glad your enjoying your training.
What you have discribed provided your not using board spacers or oven baked boards is quite a decent break for the techniques you have used.

Ish
02-22-2002, 07:32 PM
how thick were the boards

African Tiger
02-22-2002, 10:46 PM
How about putting out a candle from ten feet away? Or setting newspaper on fire, using only Qi?

20 years from now, your hands will be as rough as sandpaper. You'll have scar tissue up the ying yang, arthritis, an extra set of what appears to be knuckles - which in fact will be calcium deposits, you won't be able to make a fist, and simple acts just as playing "five finger kung fu" will be painful, if not just plain impossible.

This is the gift of external only martial arts.

Shaolin
02-22-2002, 11:29 PM
Try breaking a cinder block top with a 1inch punch stud. More chi, train harder!

don bohrer
02-22-2002, 11:43 PM
Tinman,

Keep on breaking. It's a good way to show you can generate power based on proper body alignment and good technique.

Merryprankster
02-22-2002, 11:57 PM
The only time I'll ever worry about breaking a board is if it attacks me first....

CrushingFist
02-22-2002, 11:58 PM
proper body alignment? ya rite, it just means you can smash your fist into boards really fast ...it means nothing more especially cuz karate guys usually use spaces which makes it easier.

lay a brick on it's side, 1/2 on half off a table, with nothing ontop of it, and knife hand the part haging off and break it, then i'll be impressed.

don bohrer
02-23-2002, 12:11 AM
Ok, Im on the band wagon! Lets just skip breaking wood all together and start out with concrete. Hell why dont we just throw a litte rebar in there while were at it. How many of you guys that put down breaking actually do any? Just because somebody is a little excited about a break doesn't mean they're trying to impress! :rolleyes:

Merryprankster
02-23-2002, 12:12 AM
Crushing Fist

---which would have even more to do with generation of speed than the boards. How is it "different" other than being a more difficult feat?

Ryu
02-23-2002, 12:30 AM
Actually Don, people are giving him a hard time because Ral...I mean Tinman has already been seen as a troll on this forum.

Ryu

don bohrer
02-23-2002, 12:37 AM
Ryu,

My apologies to each one of you. Guess I got hooked! :D

respectmankind
02-23-2002, 03:16 AM
Assuming you are not a troll, then I would offer this. Keep on 'breaking', but not for practice, more of a gage of progress in your striking ability. Also, understand that a board does not in anyway simulate how the human body shall react to a blow, and with a board you have time to focus and 'plan' the strike, thus making it more effecient and more powerful. If you can get your hands on some cattle remains, beat that, it should simulate a human body well enough (that was a joke, as I run up the steps and dance with my arms in the air at my accomplishment)

sanchezero
02-23-2002, 09:38 AM
I once broke a board. It was a salt treated 2x4 and if you know wood you know how wet they can be. I'd never broken anything other than sticks as a kid, but my dad challenged me to it. :rolleyes:

I, being a sneaky cheater set its supports pretty far apart to make it easier. I mean, he won't know the difference, eh? When I broke it part of it stayed connected, a thin strip, and the ends flew up and hit me on both sides of my head. :cool:

I've never tried to break anything else.

I have torn the whitepages in half (about 2 inches). I think thats more a trick than a power thing. Its not EZ but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

Now the Yellow Pages...

Budokan
02-23-2002, 10:45 AM
Yes, tearing phone books in half is a magicians trick. Even a wimp can do it, if you know how to appy the right torque. It's not a good feat to demonstrate strength for those in the know. Average Joes are impressed by it, however.

Tinman
02-23-2002, 02:27 PM
I just think kung fu sucks.
I see it as it is and speak what I see.
I might rant once in a wile and get a little kocky but I don't see any kung fu guys breaking boards.
My class has already broke bricks before and Ice slabs.
and the boards are spaced.

red_fists
02-23-2002, 02:39 PM
Tinman.

Don't space the Boards.
Turn every 2nd Board 90 Degrees and try to break them again.

Better have an Ambulance standing by to take your Fist to be reconstructed after that.

While I respect JMA, I don't care for their breaking displays nor their 105 continous highkicks.
It's all Flash.

Neither is useful in combat, and are only used to show off. Or as a measure how fr you have proceeded in your Art.

BTW, most of the Boards in breaking Demos are prepped so that they will break nicely and with little effort. :p :p

BTW, you said you think Kung Fu sucks.
Sad, very sad, considering Kara-Te evolved from it via To-Te in Okinawa.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Tinman
02-23-2002, 02:48 PM
Karate is no way all flash.
It's kung fu that's flash with it's ballet.and when breaking boards you better know how to punch correctly.There is talent in that not just brute strength.

Asia
02-23-2002, 02:48 PM
I just think kung fu sucks.

Tinman you realize KARATE is just the Okinawan interpretation of Fukien White Crane Kung Fu!!!!! What do you thing th BUBISHI is?

Punch a hole [not tear] though a piece of paper held in one hand i will respect you.

Smash a wallnut suspended by a string using a pheonix eye you have my blessing.

Rip chunks out of door frames using tiger claws and ill be proud.

Catch fish from a pond using your bare hands and ill bow down.

Tear a phone book in half using only your hands and ill get out of your way.

Punch a hole though a door using a crane fist and ill humble myself before you.

Jon,

You owe me RESPECT, PROUD, BOW DOWN, and GET OUT OF MY WAY!!! (Punched through a door using seiken does that count! Scared the mess out of my cousins!!! The should have known I was crazy when I put a sword through a door because I was ****ed)

Give me something HARD to do!!:D

red_fists
02-23-2002, 02:50 PM
Tinman.

One question.
If you think "Kung Fu sucks" , what are you doing on a Board that is mostly for Kung Fu arts??

Unless you want to troll the Board and just try to upset everybody.

Better head over to other Boards that do JMA.

Ryu
02-23-2002, 02:54 PM
*cough cough* troll *cough* *cough*

Sorry something stuck in my throat.

Ryu

jon
02-23-2002, 03:19 PM
Asia
You are my new online hero :)

Asia
02-23-2002, 03:34 PM
Jon,

Maybe you I will get the chance to be your hero in the flesh. I am planning a trip to Aussieland next year. I have a little <cough> ninja to put in his place!!! If I don't get to him this year!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!:D

red_fists
02-23-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Tinman
Karate is no way all flash.
It's kung fu that's flash with it's ballet.and when breaking boards you better know how to punch correctly.There is talent in that not just brute strength.

Tinman.
Wearing Obi. having dozens of Certificates,etc..

What are those??

Kung Fu from which Kara-Te developed from doesn't use Belt ranks, as neither did the Okinawans before the arts were Japanized.

Goju Ryu is one art that is still closely follows Kempo(Chuan Fa) rules and guidelines.

CanadianBadAss
02-23-2002, 06:06 PM
"I might rant once in a wile and get a little kocky but I don't see any kung fu guys breaking boards. "

Why do you guys even reply seriously to this crap? Every one knows karate's a weak low level MA(Even the guys who practice it...). It's obvous that he's joking...

Merryprankster
02-23-2002, 08:20 PM
Ahhhhhh....

So now we're getting into the low level and high level MA thing. I see.

Nice.

Would you tell me what constitutes low and high level MA?

CanadianBadAss
02-23-2002, 11:49 PM
I was joking a bit there, but I gues a "low level martial art" would be like a MA thats just based on purly "external" forms... And now you'll ask what "external" means? well... i don't know... leave me alone... go ask some one else questions....

Merryprankster
02-23-2002, 11:51 PM
If you can't back it up, don't claim it :)

I'm not really digging on you, I just wonder where everybody is coming from sometimes.

jon
02-24-2002, 02:26 AM
Asia
* If you get down here look me up, its always good to meet and train:D
Just dont rock the boat with all that stompin on the way down here:p
Ive seen you Baji guys i know what your up to;)

Jeff Liboiron
02-24-2002, 10:49 AM
Man, if you karate guys keep this up, there's gonna be no more forests.

Chinwoo-er
02-24-2002, 11:21 AM
Just a few irrelvent points

(1) what's with the board breaking ? Seriously, how often do we "karate chop" an opponent. Or have an opponent stand there for a minute while we gather our will and strength and what-have-you

(2) Breaking boards does not mean breaking humans. When you punch a board, it snaps. When you punch a human body, it recoils and flatterns and compromise quite a bit of that power.

I could easily turn the argument around.

I've never seen karateka break iron with their heads
I've never seen karateka support themselves on the tip of a spear
I've never seen karateka slap bags for palm conditioning
I've never seen karateka play with a 6kg ball while touching it only with their finger tips and not with their palms
I've never seen karateka undo knots of a massive rope, tied by several men
I've never seen karateka break glass cups like paper cups.
I've never seen karateka.............need I go on ??

and just to add to the flavor, I have never seen a DECENT karateka who does not take kung fu seriously !!! :D

man karate must suck, mustn't it ?

btw, is it comments like these that starts wars.
Judging something else using the understanding and values system of another.............big mistake.

Chinwoo-er

Chinwoo-er
02-24-2002, 11:30 AM
Tinman, even IF you do believe that kung fu sucks, what's the point of telling us ?
a truely confident person who is set on his value needs not prove himself. For that which is true will always remain true. No matter how it is debated.
If karate is better than Kung fu by so much, there is no point to telling us. You might as well let little ignorant people like us stay ignorant. You are the one who is holding the "truth". What's the point of putting icing on top of it by imposing it on us ?
The reason I believe is that somewhere in your mind, you doubt that claim. And you need to act upon it to reassure yourself.

( Kind of like a bully picking on people to prove to himself he has power )

CanadianBadAss
02-24-2002, 05:22 PM
I think your posts diserve their own thread

sanchezero
02-24-2002, 11:03 PM
Merry -

Just so you know, low level MA is what YOU do and hi level is what I do. ;)

Or at least thats what my sifu says...nyuk nyuk nyuk.

red_fists
02-24-2002, 11:06 PM
Hi.

I thought the distinction was on how low I can get my butt during Tai Chi Forms.

In which case I am doing high level and my Sifu is doing Low Level.
;)