PDA

View Full Version : Random Useless MA observations

Merryprankster
02-23-2002, 04:56 AM
Here are some probably useless reflections. Some are mildly serious, others are lighthearted.

Ya know how many people seem to think that boxing relies on physical strength for power? Wow. After getting repeatedly whacked on the head by my trainer because I wasn't fast enough, I was told to relax and get looser. I was "sticking" too long because I was tensing up in the upper body. Dave proceeded to tell me that power comes from speed and proper body alignment on impact and that speed comes from being relaxed until the moment of impact. My alignment was good, but I'm not loose enough. Hmm. Sounds like a lot of what I read on here.

Headgear does nothing to alleviate the always vaguely surprising shock of getting hit in the face.

Cardio doesn't transfer- I can grapple for an hour straight with no real problems, but it's a "fits and spurts," kind of game. Stand-up striking I can last about oh, 3 3 minute rounds staying reasonably busy and using a level of footwork and movement that my trainer finds acceptable (read, a LOT).

Boxing gloves, used repeatedly, smell far worse than my kneepads, and I can't wash the gloves.

If 90% of the training halls out there don't offer the "real deal," how is it that everybody seems to have found the other 10%?

Hard work isn't fun. It really isn't. Anybody who says they enjoy grueling physical punishment is lying to you or needs their head examined. On the other hand, we like the results :)

I rolled for about 2 minutes, playing around, with our newly promoted BJJ Blackbelt, Fabone. There is a certain beauty in feeling so helpless that all you can do is laugh as you're being creamed.

Judo hurts. Even with a crash pad.

I watched a 48 yr old man, blind in one eye, with 1.5 years of experience who weighs 148 lbs, calmly and effortlessly handle a person 25 years his junior and 60 lbs heavier. This distinguished gent had absolutely zero talent when he came in and since then, managed to win his age and weight category in the blue belt division in the Worlds... while he was a white belt. For dessert, he placed 2nd in the open weight class in his age category, losing to a man who outweighed him by 100 lbs, and who also held a black belt in Judo. He also wiped out a couple or three young whippersnappers on the way to winning a local tournament. The obvious, sappy remark is that dedication will take you far.... but in a competitive environment like BJJ, relentlessness is closer to it.

Corrolary to above statement--beware old-man strength. It's ruthless and it will roll right over you if you get in the way of the goal.

When ego checks in, the person checks out... and they never come back. Screw 'em. Don't need those types at the gym anyway.

Despite what anyone here might claim, we're all competitive ass-holes or we wouldn't do what we do.

Lastly, Ryu makes baby Jesus cry. :D

qeySuS
02-23-2002, 08:47 AM
Your right hard work sucks ass, but when your in the sauna afterwards with your teammates talking about how horrible it was and how it feels soooooo god to relax it's all worth while ;)

Also after having spent more then my share of going to sleep because i'm mentally tired, going to sleep because i'm physically exchausted is a very nice thing. but during the training, you sooo wanna say "I'll just rest for a min now you go ahead" but you dont, cuz you dont wanna be the only pu$$y not working ;)

Going standup and always working is hard stuff, what's even harder is when you have to work against two opponents (my old teacher used to make us do that) for about 1-2 minutes, your ALWAYS blocking or attacking and moving like crazy, then again maybe i'm just out of shape.

jun_erh
02-23-2002, 10:44 AM
I was reading in onr of those reality books that when sparring starts is when teachers lose the most students. I guess that wouldn't really apply to BJJ

Budokan
02-23-2002, 10:48 AM
"Despite what anyone here might claim, we're all competitive ass-holes or we wouldn't do what we do."

How true!

:D

And Ryu, you stop making Baby Jesus cry! That's mean!:mad:

yenhoi
02-23-2002, 11:22 AM
Ryu is a pagan.

SevenStar
02-23-2002, 09:54 PM
"If 90% of the training halls out there don't offer the "real deal," how is it that everybody seems to have found the other 10%?"

LOL:D :D

Merryprankster
02-23-2002, 09:55 PM
I have to say sevenstar, I wrote that one with you in mind.

SevenStar
02-23-2002, 10:07 PM
*gary coleman voice*

What you talkin 'bout MP

Merryprankster
02-23-2002, 10:12 PM
I'm sorry---I just realized how that must have read.

I meant that I thought you would think it was funny. :D

SevenStar
02-23-2002, 10:14 PM
I fell out of my chair when I read it - literally!

rogue
02-24-2002, 06:36 PM
"dedication will take you far.... but in a competitive environment like BJJ, relentlessness is closer to it"

I love that, but could we paraphrase that to read "dedication will take you far.... but relentlessness will take you further."?

Merryprankster
02-24-2002, 07:47 PM
I don't see why not rogue.

rogue
02-24-2002, 08:02 PM
That's a really good saying on anykind of training.

Sharky
02-24-2002, 08:12 PM
"dedication will take you far.... but relentlessness will take you further"

Indeed. I will use this in some kind of rap. Good.

Good.

rogue
02-24-2002, 08:19 PM
But who get's writing credit, Prankster for the original or me for the generic? Or do we both get royalties? :D

Sharky
02-24-2002, 08:22 PM
If i were a nice person, i would split it 60/40 prankster/rogue.

But i will no doubt pass it off as my own thinking.

Indeed.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-24-2002, 10:24 PM
... least your honest bout it.

rogue
02-25-2002, 09:46 AM
I guess that's how Prankster and I will split the beat down on you Doris Kearns Goodwin wanna be! :P