PDA

View Full Version : Positive Wah Lum Thread

Jack Squat
02-23-2002, 11:05 AM
Ok guys, here we go.....

I know that MC learned a Shaolin form (emptyhand) in the 80's called Shau Hung Chan. It dated back to the T'ang Dynasty and was very traditional. My question is this: Is this the same form that TF did so well? Or did TF learn that one in China?

Also, I have some info that states that Ching Yeung was a member of the I Ho Chuan society. The I Ho Chuan society was a secret society that participated in the infamous "Boxer Rebellion". Has anyone else heard this? (This may be common knowledge, I don't know). If this is true, does anyone have information/insight on the implications of this? For example, is the I Ho Chuan society known for longfist or maybe even Southern systems? (which may help account for the Southern influence in the WL system)

Any and all replies will be appreciated.

Jack

SaMantis
02-23-2002, 12:27 PM
Not sure about Shau Hung Chan, but ...

I did look up some info on Ching Yeung (abbot of the Wah Lum temple who taught Lee Kwan Shan). It was sketchy, but did say that CY was a stick fighter with the secret society and knew a Shaolin stick form.

Implications? Well, other martial artists probably took refuge at Wah Lum around the same time, so CY could have picked up some additional skills. Also, I wonder if I Ho Chuan drew members from different MA styles, or if they all studied the same system?

As far as Southern influence -- I think Hua Lin said that Master Chan's family style (Mok Gar?) is southern, and Wah Lum has a close relationship with Lee Koon Hung Choy Lay Fut. So perhaps much of the southern flavor is 6th generation forward?

Good thread, JS, thanks for starting it up.

Sam

woliveri
02-23-2002, 01:13 PM
The form that TF did he called 5 animals I believe. I have it on tape (I think I still have it somewhere). This was not learned from MC as far as I know. I think he knew this form before coming to WL but I could be wrong.

Olethros
02-24-2002, 09:36 AM
I have heard rumors that Chan Pui and some sifu's are in the process of writing a book about Lee Kwan Shan. I bet when that book comes out it will answer alot of the question raised on this forum about LKS/Ching Yeung, etc.

yu shan
02-24-2002, 09:15 PM
Woliveri
I personally saw T.F. do this 5 animals at the Temple! What an inspiration. I also have him on video in China kicking butt. I believe he learned this form from a dignitary visiting Spendid China.

Olethros
This book on LKS/Chng Young would be very interesting, both for the die hards and the skeptics.

whitewhirlwhind
02-25-2002, 08:32 PM
Some of my positive Wah Lum experiences: Unlimited workout schedule at the school. One-on-one training. Body conditioning—don’t hit my boys, though, please.:eek: I’m faster, stronger, quicker, and more powerful than I ever was. My sihings spar with me, and they hit me much less now. I learn applications every class. I discover applications and show them to my sifu and sihings for critiques. I fight much better, but I learn not to fight. I have another family. I get a good physical workout every class. I am in China studying (with my sifu’s blessing and support). I learn how to curb negative behaviors. I’ve learned forms from my SiGung. I learn Chinese history and philosophy. I develop and practic fellowship. I run faster. I have fun with my kung fu family outside of classes. I discover and learn to develop my strengths and strengthen my weaknesses. My better half touches me more. I learned to do drywall. People at work commented on my positive disposition and actions. My fundamental thinking changed for the better; I am a better person.:)

SaMantis
02-25-2002, 10:43 PM
Good post, WW. I've had almost the same experiences.

Except I haven't learned to do drywall yet ... is that an advanced form? :D

9dragonshijin
02-26-2002, 03:47 AM
ww

So you're saying that you have gotten a lot more reading done? Well enjoy it while it lasts ...ironhead awaits. HAHAHAHAHAHA(breath)HAHAHAHAHA(cough).D'OH!

9dragonshijin
02-26-2002, 03:57 AM
P.S.
JUst wondering, do you still have your 4 day weekends there?:D

whitewhirlwhind
02-26-2002, 04:59 AM
Thank you, SaM. I am glad we shared such experiences. I don't think all sifu's mastered "drywall" yet; I was fortunate to get one who did! I can ask if it will be taught as a seminar soon?:)

My brother 9dragonshijin, I do miss you and the family! I am glad ironhead has not beaten you. There may be hope for me! I am sorry I will not be there on the 31st; send me pictures--bloody or no.:p

I want to read in bed, but I don't know who is watching!

What is a weekend? I've forgotten already. I cannot wait to get back so I can rest! At the rate I am going, I will be ready for the '08 olympics (old slow-guy division). Of course, the smackdowns given here are different than yours, but they are smackdowns nonetheless.

Alas, I cannot fly yet; but I was forced to start some "tumbling boxing." The nine year olds here are tough; I hope I do not get another scar over my eye!

I was officially adopted by a Chinese family. They gave me a Chinese name. It is Zhang Yang Mai (pinyin here). It means "walks like a soldier in the sun"--or there abouts. I like the name; I think it means I have good posture.

I think I should stop now. People may learn that Wah Lum is a friendly and caring environment.:)

Smack ironhead for me!

Mantis_Hand
02-26-2002, 09:43 AM
the thread is titled, Positive Wah Lum Experience... does Wah Lum get a lot of crap around here from people?

I've been with the Wah Lum for two years now and I can only sum up my experiences by quoting WhiteWhirlWind - being a member of the Wah Lum has bettered my a thousand fold.

I owe a lot to Master Chan and my Sifu.

18elders
02-26-2002, 07:43 PM
TF learned the 5 animal form from a guy in virginia.

Here's a funny story for you with TF.
It was the closing ceremony for the 93 shaolin international tournament. We went out for dinner before the ceremony and
we were celebrating with alot of Qingdao beer, well TF celebrated a bit too much. During the ceremony he had to go to the little boys room but since we were outside he didn't know where it was. He said he would be right back.
Over an hour passed and it was almost the end of the ceremony, our guide was getting nervous because TF was missing, he was looking all over for him.
Then TF came staggering back to us with blood dripping from his forehead. While he was watering the bushes he passed out and fell hitting his head on the ground. He layed there until he woke up. We wondered if anyone watered him while he layed there?

Then another time when we were in Orlando, we went out to club Juana. Again he had a few beers, while we had some entertainment at our table he fell asleep with his head resting against his arm. His mouth was open and he continued to drool the rest of the night. We told the entertainment that TF thought they were so hot he was drooling over them!

yu shan
02-26-2002, 10:00 PM
18 Elders
Who did TF learn 5 animals from in Virginia? Guess I got my signals crossed. He blew the Chinese away with that form! TF couldn`t handle the alcohol, fall asleep at Club Juana,NEVER!

Ken Fei Hung
02-26-2002, 10:26 PM
I just wanted to say some positive things about Wah Lum.
I'll start with how great, I think my sifu is and how much I respect him.
Also that I have some older brothers that I look up to.
And I think Wah Lum its self is awsome. I just wish I would have started sooner.

Whitewhirlwhind... HEy man I hope china is treating you well,

and that your traing is going well also.

If you get the chance email me.

woliveri
02-27-2002, 08:33 AM
Whitewhirlwhind... HEy man I hope china is treating you well,

Whitewhirlwhind, what are you doing in China, training? Business? What parts of China and for how long? I plan to make it there for an extended period soon.

China Village
02-27-2002, 01:18 PM
Just wondering if you have attended any demos over in China??

whitewhirlwhind
02-27-2002, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the positive WL posts everyone. It makes me feel all warm inside while I am in the cold.

KenFH, I get to train with your boys here. Maybe they can tighten up my version of their "16 hands." I will try to find a secret manual for you!:D

Woliveri, I am training and studying--both my business. I will be in and around Beijing with some time spent in Henan and Shandong. I am here for another three months. If you come, e-mail me. I would love to hear some of your positive WL stories. It will enrich my WL history since you know and practiced with some people I know and others that left before me.

CV, I saw some contemporary and traditional wushu/kung fu/boxing. I saw the opera. I saw a dragon dance (wow!). And there is a great Wong Fei Heng soap opera on the television. I want to see lion dancers, too.

:)

China Village
02-28-2002, 02:55 PM
You're an idiot. I was just wondering if you were starting sh*t between Wah Lum and Pong Lai in China. You're also very conceited. Of course your sparring partners hit you less. I wouldn't punch you if my d*ck was in your mouth either. You might bite it off. Stay away from the nine year old boys in China. You might get used to it. That sh*t's not legal here in America. Then again, you've got Ken F*g Hung to bang back in the states you lying weirdo.

SaMantis
02-28-2002, 03:56 PM
Wow, I think the NPM forum just set a record ... 14 posts before the troll came in to play.

China Village, are you sure you're not jut sow? Because that last post sure resembled him. :mad:

Chad
02-28-2002, 08:42 PM
Samantis, 1st of all i am not china village. i do not know who this person is. this is the first post i have made in a long time and just to set the record straight, i don't really care about the affairs of either wah lum or pong lai. i left the system in '97, although i was "thrown out" last year. i have no interest in WL or anyone involved. i harbor no ill will torwards anyone, although i didn't personally like a few here and their, i had my reasons. i was asked questions and i answered them based on my experiences and opinions. if anyone doesn't like that, oh well, it's a free country. as for china village, like i said i don't know who this person is, but i know it is not me, so from now on i would appreciate you or anyone else from WL noy trying to pin some one flamming you on me. i study another system now and am very happy and i wish the same for all CMA's out there. i wish everyone at WL continued succes in the future.

China Village
02-28-2002, 10:35 PM
SaMantis
I'm not Jutsow. Don't know who he is, and I don't care. I don't know why you insist on chiming in on every post with your nonsensical babble. I sent a message to whitwhirlwind, and nobody else, yet you feel you have to defend him. Are you part of this incestual family he's saying hi to? I really don't have any problem with any of your silly kung fu styles. I just have a problem with people like whitewhiner claiming to be martial artists, when they are just trolls themselves. He talks about how great his system is, and defends it with vigor. This I have no problem with. What I do have a problem with is him acting like the high and mighty monk when he himself fabricated a story to bash another system. Then he and his cronies turn around and point the finger at the other side as the evil ones. Even Northernmantis admitted he was wrong and apolagized which is something whitewetwilly has STILL NEVER DONE!

So come on Whitewetdream, tell us another story. Or be a man and own up to what you've done. Maybe then somebody will take you seriously. Until then you are nothing but my unwiped a*shole ---- FULL OF SH*T

SaMantis
02-28-2002, 10:53 PM
Chad,

My apologies for mistaking you for CV. I won't do it again.

Best of luck in your future training.

Sam

Chad
03-01-2002, 05:27 AM
SaMantis, thank you. my issues with WL are over. i am concentrating on my life and my gung fu in a possitive manner. anyways this will be my last post. good luck to all and train hard.

NorthernMantis
03-01-2002, 06:51 AM
For a Judoka who knows nothing about cma China Village sure spends a lot of time in the northern mantis forum, especially in the wah lum threads.I wonder why?:D Hey I know how to find out if this guy is th real jut sow.

Hey CV what's your oppinion on kenpo?

note:You must remeber that there are two jutsow's

Jutsow and jut sow are two diferent people:cool:

China Village
03-01-2002, 08:19 AM
I don't give a fu*k about Kung Fu. I don't give a f*ck about kempo. I think we should all take tae bo and be happy........... Why is it that whenever somebody insults whitewh*rebag everybody defends him but himself. When do you see me post NorthernMantis? Not when people ask anything about Kung Fu history. Not when people ask anything about Kung Fu application. No.....I only respond when people are being big headed and hypocritical. If whitewishingwell apolagizes to everybody here for the lies he has told, then I'll apolagize for following him around and bashing him, but not until then. He needs to stop being a faceless coward and own up to what he's done. NortherMantis, I told you who I was once already. That is more than I can say for whitewhiffleball who claims to be an independant observer when he's really part of a school he's talking up, and uses his lies to bash another school. It doesn't take a Kung Fu student to know that's wrong. In fact, it doesn't even take a martial artist to know that's wrong. I just happen to be one. I have no problem with anybody but whitewhirlwind, but that could change if you idiots start defending him knowing what he's done.

P.S. - where's Whitewindbag in all of this? What does he have to say? We'll probably never find out since he's too much of a coward to reply. I guess Kung Fu really has taught him to run away faster.

Frogman
03-01-2002, 10:34 AM
CV
RibHit
:p

NorthernMantis
03-01-2002, 04:09 PM
Why are you getting so defesnive CV?It was just a comment.

I only respond when people are being big headed and hypocritical

Have you seen the southern board lately??That place has triple the amount of big headedness and hypocrisy.How come I don't see you responding in there?If you don't care about kung fu then why are you wasting your time on kfo and especially on the northernmantis board?

You have 11 posts so far and they're all in the northern mantis thread.Not only that but all of them except one are just to poke fun off and half were meant towards me.How come they all have to be wah lum related?What about the other mantis styles that have politics also?

The only time when I have seen you post was when it was about wah lum related.You say you're a Judoka who cares less for kung fu and hates hypocrisy yet there is tons more in the other boards but you only stay in the wl threads.That tells me that tells me that something is up and it sure aint the roof.

Why is it that whenever somebody insults whitewh*rebag everybody defends him but himself

Don't know the guy and don't care.

I don't condone what www did nor do I defend the guy.

I think everyone knows by now what this character is about.

I don't give a **** about kempo

Man you sound so much like jutsow right now:D

No problem dude no harm done.I understand what you meant. Peace.

NorthernMantis
03-01-2002, 04:16 PM
In order to keep the thread on topic I will restart it again.

I would like to say that the instructors are great and always took time to help me out with any question that I had in mind (although it might have drove them kind of crazy).

The training great but man is it tough.A friend of mine's had joined class and he said he had never sweat so hard before.:D Everyone is like family to me and I have made some of the best friends I could ever have.Real pals.

China Village
03-01-2002, 07:59 PM
You're right, I should get on other people's cases. I'll get to them as soon as whitewhirlwind apolagizes. I hope you personally didn't take any offense from my post. It was not directed at you. Like I said earlier, I respect you for being man enough to admint to your faults. Just like I'm man enough to admit to mine. I know I can be trollish sometimes, and as I said before I'm willing to say I'm sorry for trolling if whitewhirlwind will say he's sorry for it too.

NorthernMantis
03-02-2002, 11:45 AM
lol don't take it out of proportion CV.It's cool.Hey I'm guilty of doing not so good things myself.:cool:

SaMantis
03-02-2002, 08:16 PM
OK, back to the positive thread ...

I just got back from the Orlando beer festival, where I just developed one hellacool drunken form. At least I think I have... I'm doing drunken Say Lok in front of the mirror right now ... :D

China Village
03-02-2002, 09:44 PM
Who really cares?

PlayingMantis
03-02-2002, 11:09 PM
Brad hahahahahahha *breathe* bwhabwhabwhabwhabwahaha *cough*..9dragonshijin is a blockhead...hehehehehe *sneeze* *sniffle* *ooze* *hiccup* d'uhhhhhh oh? Loser.......

Oh yah...... Brad you cannot keep me down. Because you will never be able to identify me, I do not think you can keep me from posting. I'll be watching you, you will not be watching me.

To the rest of you:
Although I was on a long hiatus, I decided to look back and see if there was any useful martial arts information. Surprisingly? I found none. Even without me catalyzing your quibbles, you guys cannot seem to get along. Evidently I am not the problem. It seems to me that the trouble stems from Tampa *cough* whitewhirlwhind *cough*. This whole thread seems like a ill-contrived P.R. ploy to boost your egos and system's guise. Therefore, I have made my triumphant return.

Northernmantis: It is commendable that you acknowledge you headstrong ways, which are ultimately hindered by your shortcomings(yes this is in reference to your physical stature, you angry little child). You cannot use your heritage as a crutch for your behavior. Your list was a menial waste of time. No one cared and no one respects you. NEVER DO THAT AGAIN. Later Dopey (*reference to Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs)

Whitewhirlwhind: Who cares that your in China? Big **** deal. This was suppose to be a positive wah lum thread. Not a look at me I'm bigger stronger and faster ego feeding thread. What exactly were your intentions? What the hell is ironhead and why is it waiting for you? Does 9dragonshijin give it to you well or something? Maybe you give it to him? Is this a special technique or training? Wow, your school sure is liberal....is that the positive point that you were trying to make??

Olethros: Shut up! It's better for people to simply think you're a fool rather than you confirming it by posting.

Ken Fei hung: Isn't that a little presumptuous? Can you really compare yourself to a chinese legion. I guess when you base your life around a cartoon and live in your own dream world you can? You seem pretty proud of the fact you live in a broken white body? (read his profile, its good for a laugh). Tip: Spell check/grammar check does wonders.

Samantis: Get a life, you give anyone that practices martial arts a reason to quit. It is because your practicing at work that we look like weirdos. Not to mention you go off and practice while drunk. For Shame.

ChinaVillage: Who the hell do you think you are. You did not show up until after I called these people out. You are based off my observations. I noted that it was whitewhirlwhind's fault that this got started. I called for his apology (see "An open apology..."). Whitewhirlwhind is my ***** and possibly 9dragonshijin's *****? and Kao ken is his *****? Anyways what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to mount my high horse in order to gain some noteriety? Points have already been made...by me. Nevertheless you seem to rehash them in a never-ending loop. Your are just repeating what I stated in lewder/raunchier manner. You are not my associate, nor are you my peer. I wrote a poem far before you did, however, I was not the first, 8secretherbs was. Your poem is simply a shameless attack upon whitwhirlwhind, who had you followed his progression already apologized. ******* We are not equals, I am far greater than you. I am currently using 20% brain power, whereas, you are lucky if you are using 10% , which is probably 9.5% bong resin and low rent cheap alcohol.

8secretherbs
03-02-2002, 11:24 PM
I thought I was forgotten......
What is first?
Maybe you thought prior to my thought
maybe my thought preceded that thought
Does thought exist ?
I don't exist
What exists?
Do questions exist?
do we question rhetorical questions?
Why do we question that which we question?
Does any of it really matter?
What is matter?
Nevermind
What is the mind?
no matter
the brain is true
thought is the unexplained
does it then have no truth?
Am i thinking?
is thought made by me?you? him? fish? us?
How many toes does a three toed sloth have? (Olethros?)
Are oranges really orange?
Are they decieving you too?
Who can I trust? Not you. Not me. Not fish.
Can I get some ironhead?
Who am I? Where's Waldo? Why did we forget him too?

PlayingMantis
03-02-2002, 11:33 PM
8secretherbs: Wow! that was really really out there. If I wasn't you I probably wouldn't have understood it. Good thing you are me. That's what you are. I really talk weird. Wait you really talk weird. Do we really talk? Oops wrong post........ Isn't funny how the good goes bad. Or maybe the bad is really good and the good is really bad. Its all chicannery. All of it.......

Hahaha I'm pretty funny aren't I. What a whack job.... reminds of you all that have wasted your time reading what I type.:p

NorthernMantis
03-03-2002, 08:56 AM
aaahhh the beauty of the ignore button.Pressing in 5..4..3..2..1..good bye playing mantis.:D

Oh and by the way is anyone here going to go to the Nick Scrima tournamen in St. Petersburgh?I'm planning on going I just need to round up some money.Hopefully I can get enough to sparr if not then it's forms for me.Hope to meet some of you there.

:cool:

NorthernMantis
03-03-2002, 09:14 AM
lol! Hey CV I think you answer to us because secretly you love mantis kung fu.:D

Gotta give it to you judo guys, you guys have some grip. A couple of weeks ago I was helping my older kung fu brother help a guy out on his form because he was busy with another guy. Well anyways I go and correct the guy on the form and then I show him the application of the techniques.Then I show him a simple move where you clean off at the wrist to defend againts wrist grabs (which has worked very well many times before) and the guys hand wouldn't budge.It took me me like 2 or 3 more tries for it to actually work.I look at the guy and said good grip and he smiles and said I used to take judo.Cool story huh?:cool:

SaMantis
03-03-2002, 12:54 PM
LOL, CV, I didn't know you had a thing for Hua Lin Laoshi! That explains everything ...

NM, I'm planning on going to St. Pete, although it may just be to cheer on my Wah Lum brothers & sisters.

China Village
03-03-2002, 01:33 PM
You've found me out. I do have a "thing" for Hua Lin. I've been wanting to get in his a*s for years. Maybe once you pull your head out there will be some room in there for me.

yu shan
03-03-2002, 07:48 PM
NorthernMantis and SaMantis
I`m going to attend N Scrima`s tourny, it would be nice to meet and have fellowship. NM Vamos a encontrarhos paracenar ese fin de semana.

SaMantis
03-03-2002, 08:13 PM
thanks, yu shan. I look forward to seeing you there!

NorthernMantis
03-04-2002, 01:44 PM
Cool I'll see you there.There might be a chance that I might not show up though since I might have to assist my school in a kung fu show at the Univerity of Miami.We'll see what hapens.

Hope to meet you there.

yu shan
03-08-2002, 09:09 PM
NorthernMantis
Wouldn`t you rather represent your school in an international tournament, then a local show? I`m sure you can find someone to fill-in for you. Don`t you want to meet us Pong Lai guys, and see we are not a bunch of a**holes. Te debo una comida afuera en el pueblo.

NorthernMantis
03-09-2002, 12:14 PM
lol I never said that about the PL guys yu shan. I don't think it will be on the same day so there's a good chance for me to come. If I do come I'll take you up on the food.;)

yu shan
03-10-2002, 04:53 PM
NorthernMantis&SaMantis,
What are your favorite hand forms and weapons forms? And do you train in the Lions yet?
See ya.