PDA

View Full Version : There's something wrong with the search function

chen zhen
02-23-2002, 12:37 PM
You know the search function in the bottom of the page? well, it's stupid! It can't find words that are under 4 letters long. And that is not very practical when it's on a kung fu forum where you are going to search for chinese words which tends to be small! for example: if you search for the word "hung gar" it says:" the word "gar" is under the minimum limit of 4 letters" So then, moderators, please change this!

jaz1069
02-24-2002, 07:44 AM
chen zhen:

You are correct and it drive me nuts!

I was too frusterated to write anything about it though.
I see that this post has made it to the bottom of the page.

Perhaps if we keep commenting and keep it on the top of the page, forum folks will finally fix it.

Closed circuit to Moderators:
If your upcoming Forum upgrade does not cover this issue perhaps you may want to adjust that before doing the upgrade?

John

jaz1069
02-25-2002, 06:30 AM
Don't want this to disapear until the problem is fixed!:D

ewallace
02-25-2002, 10:09 AM
Can't even run a search for Tai Chi. That ain't cool.

wufupaul
02-25-2002, 12:47 PM
Just bumping up, hehe. I noticed it too, they intentionally don't let you use the little words like tai chi, dim mak, ba gau, because they don't want people to learn about the deadliest stuff,haha:D

jaz1069
02-25-2002, 11:02 PM
Dear Mr. Moderator:

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away, the search function worked fine. Now you have a new setup and it does not.

Please fix.

Thanks!

John

ewallace
02-26-2002, 12:16 PM
I cannot search for moo doe. Weak.

jaz1069
02-27-2002, 06:37 AM
"this is ground control to Mister Ching

"please fix the search en-gine

:D :) :( :o :p ;) :cool: :rolleyes: :mad: :confused:

dubj
02-27-2002, 11:11 AM
Agreed

jaz1069
02-27-2002, 03:18 PM
<ehhh - heah>

Don't forget about this!:confused:

Xebsball
02-27-2002, 03:32 PM
Please fix and ill mail you a cookie.

Kristoffer
02-28-2002, 03:49 AM
I'll mail ya my old socks

kungfu cowboy
02-28-2002, 06:19 AM
My guess is nobody cares and it won't get fixed. Just like the ability to post images.

dubj
03-01-2002, 09:32 PM
I had to bring it back because it looks like no one is doing anything.

Leonidas
03-02-2002, 12:44 AM
I'll sign this petition. The search is p!ss!ng me off too because you have to find a way around it to get what you want. Like searching for Internal Arts instead of Tai Chi which limits the results. Most of the chinese words i know are 3 letters. Can you turn on the IMG function. I had this cool pic lined up to fit my name.

chen zhen
03-02-2002, 11:43 AM
There is also another thing about the new search function... it can't find old threads! one day I was searcing for an old thread where firehawk had posted an interesting article about southern mantis. It has just disappeared! that goes for the political threads around the time of september last year too.

CrushingFist
03-02-2002, 12:07 PM
just bringing it up to the top again, someoen really should fix it, i emailed kung fu magazine about it and they never sent me a reply...but i think we should all post individual postings saying "FIX THE SEARCH SO THERE IS NO 4 WORD MINIMUM" and then reply to each others postings so there will be like 10 postings like that at the top of the page constantly....thats the only way to get things done if they don't wanna read our EMail. i realize it's a B1TCH move, but hey....whacha gonna do otherwise?

Leonidas
03-02-2002, 06:49 PM
I dont think it's working out how you planned..........

CrushingFist
03-02-2002, 11:29 PM
if some ppl would make the EFFORT it mIGHT!

where's your post man!? don't you wanna see the search function fixed? i know i do! c'mon GROUP EFFORT GUYS!

Leonidas
03-03-2002, 02:12 AM
well yea, thats why i'm signing this one. People are barely looking at this page. This will go back to the top though.

Leonidas
03-03-2002, 07:43 PM
kinda defeats the purpose if its moved to a forum that nobody reads. So much for power of the people, if no one really gives a sh!t.....................

GeneChing
03-04-2002, 11:46 AM
Kind of the main forum moderators to kick this down to me...

The search engine is a built-in function of vBulletin. We are aware of the problem but at this time, it is beyond our control.

With a forum of our magnitude, we require a professional service that is affordable. Those of you who have been here a while remember when we had to transfer forums twice before. To be frank, the problem is money. It costs a fair chunk of change to run this kind of forum. Our previous hosts we're just about to move us to an $800+ a month program because of our growth - far beyond our budget for this project, which is why we switched for vBulletin. vBulletin is far from perfect, but it's the best we can afford at this time. The recent update was to solve something much more problematic - the moderation controls were offline. Now they're online, which is why you are seeing threads move, deletions and banning. Hopefully, we can update the search next, but it relies a lot on vBulletin to make the upgrade.

Leonidas
03-04-2002, 10:38 PM
Thanx Gene. Atleast you took the time to respond. The search engine is not that big of a problem but it gets annoying. We all appreciate the board though. I guess we have to deal with it folks.

GeneChing
03-05-2002, 10:41 AM
It is definately something we are looking into. I was hoping there would be an upgrade in our recent upgrade, but no. I want that search function as badly as you do. Keep your fingers crossed.

GeneChing
03-12-2002, 10:18 AM
As it stands, the search engine is internally set to allow a minimum of 4 and maximun of 20, with wild cards. Did that change anything? Doesn't look like it. It's some kind of internal bug to the system. There is another update available - we are looking into if this will improve the situation. Thanks for your patience all.

GeneChing
03-22-2002, 04:25 PM
I think we got it working properly.