PDA

View Full Version : 4 seasons united martial arts K.F.

7kicks
02-23-2002, 08:01 PM
Just wanted to know if anyone out there has had any dealings good or bad or knows about the kung fu taught there. The name of the school is 4 seasons united martial arts it is located in Lexington Kentucky. The style is Sil Lum and they teach both northern and southern styles but they do not specify the exact styles. The lineage comes from a gentleman by the name of DR. Winglou NG a.k.a. John NG who passed it down to a Sifu John Dufresne. any info would be helpful. The website ishttp://www.4smma.com .

David Jamieson
02-23-2002, 09:29 PM
Says at the site they teach wing chun, Chin Na, Chinese wrestling (fast? Shuai Jaio? ??) and Wu Shu (Wu Shu has a standardized curriculum for both northern and southern competrition forms).

The site looks like their real focus is mma.

peace

BeiKongHui
02-23-2002, 10:51 PM
It's a MMA school. If you want Ng's kung fu go to Dragon on Southland. If you want to learn MMA or NHB type fighting or JKD then 4 Seasons is the best in the area.

BeiKongHui
02-23-2002, 10:57 PM
The Chinese art of trapping, Wing Chun, is taught and utilized between the mid-range and close-range. Learn to trap and control your attackers limbs while applying devastating close range strikes.

Guys, you don't trap in Wing Chun that's JKD. There is no trapping in Wing Chun so obviously it is not the chinese "art of trapping".

Crimson Phoenix
02-24-2002, 07:55 AM
No trapping in WC?? Huuuhhh...weird...are you sure??
There's trapping in White Crane, why not in Wing Chun??

BeiKongHui
02-24-2002, 08:30 AM
Yeah, I'm sure. Trapping is chasing hands which goes against Wing Chun principles. The only people who think there is trapping in WC are those with a low skill level or no understanding of the art. If you don't believe me ask on the WC forum.

Crimson Phoenix
02-24-2002, 08:43 AM
I believe you, I'm far enough ignorant about Wing Chun to claim anything about it...it's just that to me trapping is far from being low level tech, and can use very refined concepts like sensitivity training and sticking hands to be exploited...plus I have seen exponents of Wing Chun do it, and these guys seemed to be considered very good by the WC community...at least theywere impressive to me...an I believe that trapping isn't necessarily "push hard to stick his arm against his body", but would be qualified as "trapping" in any situation in which by superior mastery you render someone unable or uneasy to move for a time long enough for you to strike safely...

Anyone care to share their opinion on that??

dezhen2001
02-24-2002, 09:26 AM
i'm only a beginner at WC (18 months only - i wish much longer :(), but i thought the main purpose with WC was to get to and control the centre?

You can stick and 'trap' (wan lan sau?) but that's only a means to an end (to get to and control the centre), not the end. If you need to stick, fine but if the centre is open you should just hit there ;)

I've only ever heard it called 'trapping' by JKD guys though...

david

BeiKongHui
02-24-2002, 09:45 AM
dezhen2001-You are correct. Trapping is a JKD *******ization of Fann Sau which means sealing the limbs. As I'm sure you know in WC we wouldn't try to go after the hands to tie them up. We'd just move in and hit.

Crimson Phoenix-I don't know about trapping in other arts but it is considered fairly low level in WC because it's attacking the limb not the body, it is inefficient and impractical in street fighting and it's more in line with WC theory to move in past the gaurd and attack with short power as opposed to attacking the gaurd. Also, the WC Sifu's in the magazines and books don't always show things like they really are. For an article you have to do the A+B=C type technique thing but in most actual WC classes preprogrammed responses are frowned upon. We attempt to apply certain principles to an action as oppsed to a preconcieved set of actions. I hope that makes sense. I am sure a more eloquent person from the WC forum could explain it better.

JasBourne
02-26-2002, 11:53 AM
These guys are MMA/BJJ, it says it right there all over the website. They don't know squat about CMA.