PDA

View Full Version : ER..... UK guys!???

DelicateSound
02-24-2002, 07:40 AM
Can anyone here recommend any Wing Chun schools in the Midlands. I live in Stoke-on-Trent at the moment, but will soon be going to Birmingham University. I've always wanted to learn Wing Chun, but have never found a decent school in my area.

Anyone know of anywhere? Or any sites with UK listings?

I'm not bothered about particular systems [no political rants, OK!! :D]

Thanking you in advance - Delicate!

dezhen2001
02-24-2002, 10:17 AM
There are actually quite a lot of WC clubs around the West Midlands... I haven't been to any as i have my own Sifu up in Manchester. Some with a good reputation are:

Shaun Rawcliffes school in Birmingham
http://www.wingchun.co.uk

James Sinclair has schools around the midlands
http://www.ukwckfa.ndirect.co.uk

a branch of the Tse Qigong Centre run my Mike Baker
http://www.qimagazine.com

I don't really know about the rest, or how to contact them... Have you tried looking in the back of Combat magazine or anything? Or using Google or Yahoo for a search? You could try the BCCMA as well...?
I couldn't tell ya the prices or anything. Depends on what you're looking for really? Is it more hands on sparring straight away? or is it more technique and principle based?

Anyway, good luck with wing chun and Uni!

david

popsider
02-24-2002, 04:31 PM
Is there a Birmingham instructor called Colin Bell??

BTW - James Sinclair's association has a very active club at Birmingham University.

Sleepflower
02-25-2002, 03:20 AM
Can I ask who your teacher is in Manchester?

dezhen2001
02-25-2002, 08:47 AM
Although i didn't really want to mention any names (as this is meant to be a non-political thread), i train with the Tse Qigong Centre in Manchester. I think there are also various other schools in and around there, but i'm not sure(?)
You can look at the website at the above link.

Are you looking for a class? Or do you already have a Sifu there?

david

DelicateSound
02-25-2002, 01:03 PM
Cheers Dehzen and All!!:D

Your school looks d a m n good. I swear I've sen Michael Tse in Combat - doing some Hard Qigong stuff.

Sifu Rawcliffes school looks good. Trained by Ip Chun made me think "Holy Sh!t!!!"

Looks professional though. And professional usually equals pricey....... :( On a student budget.........

.......wait! Jesus F*cking Christ!! 2 hours for £5.00! I pay more than that now!

OK - I'm there.

stuartm
02-26-2002, 01:37 AM
£5 a lesson is standard these days and is a small price to pay for 2 hours of quality Wing Chun.

Good luck with your training !

Best Wishes, Stuart

popsider
02-26-2002, 03:00 AM
He was saying £5 was cheap - I agree it is - although the price is irrelevant if the quality is not there - what price wasting several evenings a week for 3 years ?

Luckily (or is it good judgement) I think you are making a good choice - good luck.

dezhen2001
02-26-2002, 06:41 AM
Hi Delicate, what can i say apart from ---> :cool: But just because my Sifu and Sigong are pretty good doesn't mean that i will ever be!

I'm trying to train the hard qigong right now as well as my wing chun (which is now on the back burner)... that's why i have to get up at 5am every day (ok - i'm lazy - 5.30) :(

I think you should check out what's available. I'm sure you have enough experience to make a good choice. Price is a major factor for us students though... I usually only see my Sifu every other month, but have more than enough to be practising until i see him again.

well, good luck with the search,
david

DelicateSound
02-26-2002, 01:50 PM
David - I remember ages ago how you told me about your morning "routine"!

Whilst I don't quite get up at 5am [nutcase] I do get up at 6.30 and do 30 mins practise [mostly stretching and forms].

It actually helps me wake up and has improved my sleep :D

I'm still registered with a really good style now [which I should go back to!!] but something makes me want to do Wing Chun.

Maybe it's....[cue dramatic cheesy orchestral music] MY DESTINY!!

Sorry........ Cheers for the advice! :)

dezhen2001
02-26-2002, 02:18 PM
No worries mate!

well, my test is on May 4th, then i can have a lie in for a while! I'm not a nutcase (yet), but the motivation for me is the fact that i will be getting bricks and other nasty things broken on various parts of my body. Kinda makes u want to train hard right ;)
Especially when it's my Sifu who will probably be doing the breaking... :eek:

Do you still do Lau Gar? I've seen a little, looks kinda cool if u ask me. I mean the 'traditional' side - not the 'kickboxing' of course.

I'm sure you'll have a good time at Uni: all the cheap alcohol at the SU, parties etc... oh, and a little bit of study :D

david

DelicateSound
03-07-2002, 12:02 PM
Good luck in the test [although remember - we all make our own luck! :D]

As soon as I've finished my A-levels I'll be the same, I just have to make sure I get to Uni - some of the women I saw at the open day - I mean.... [slap] ........ there's a great martial arts community there too. :)

I haven't been to Lau Gar since Xmas - It's a great style, but I had trouble getting there cause of work. I still want to do WC though - always have, I just need to find a school. At the moment I'm doing a bit of Judo - so at least I'm crosstraining [and getting my ass kicked]

As for the "Kickboxing" - all I can say is "grrrr". Traditional Martial Arts all the way.

dezhen2001
03-07-2002, 02:45 PM
Yup - Uni is great for... [slap]... studying :D

Creating our own luck is good, i just hope i have lots when the test comes!

easy,
david

DelicateSound
03-09-2002, 02:13 PM
Hey Dehzen! Just bought a book by Ip Chun and Michael Tse. Mighty fine it is too! :D

The idea of going to Uni to study... [shudder]...........

I'm there for the chicks, the drink, the Kung Fu and most importantly, the ability to create a disturbance via a Jackson Soloist and a Marshall JSM stack......... :) Mmmmm

dezhen2001
03-10-2002, 08:20 AM
creating a disturbance is even better if you live in Halls for the first year :D (hundreds of students in small cramped rooms beside/close to each other=majorly plssed off people when it's noisy:D)

hey - in first year there's no study - it's climatising to the environment ;)

david