PDA

View Full Version : Turning the Small Wheel??

yangster
02-24-2002, 03:36 PM
Can anyone explain the significance and how one would learn to
"turn the small wheel"?

Recently had a person show this technique by doing a little bump and grind type movement with the hips (have to admit it looked kinda silly).

Imagine it has something to do with the dan tien but none of the tai chi books I own reference this movement.

taooftaichi
02-25-2002, 06:48 PM
I believe you may be talking about an exercise designed to develop the ability to isolate different parts of the abdominal muscles (which is not 100% possible, rather you can emphasize certain parts). This is done to gain additional conditioning (strength and flexibility) in the waist. This exercise is also believed to grant additional control of chi development and concentration. (There are similiar exercises that are performed in Yoga).

Initially, the movement is quite overt, in order to become familiar with the feeling and technique (that is probably the level of skill you saw being demonstrated). Over time the amount of external movement is greatly reduced (while maintaining the internal movement) to the point where it is no longer visible to the untrained eye. At this stage the practitioner simply appears to move with more flow and grace than others.

Some teachers call this "turning the Tai Chi ball"

red_fists
02-25-2002, 07:06 PM
Hi yangster.

Can I ask you a simple question.

The Park where I train we got one Guy
who is good. (Not TCC though)

At the beginning of the workout he does someting that sounds similar to what you are describing.

He stands in "Hug a Tree", but palms are parrallel to each other, than he moves his Butt/hips either in a figure 8 or tracing the Yin Yang symbol motion.

Very small movement, not much to see.
But he is very soft and fluid.
Is it similar??

Water Dragon
02-26-2002, 08:21 AM
1. The opening and closing of the kua. This ones pretty simple and the first mechanic I was taught. It's basically just opening and closing the hip joint.

2. Dan Tien power. The Dan Tien area is just a bunch of muscle. I think I have it pegged to a combination of the abdominal wall in conjunction with the erector spinae (those two long muscles that go down the spine.) It DOES feel like a ball though. Maybe something to do with those two muscle groups working together?

3. Segmenting the torso. The Hsing Yi guys call this the Dragon's Body or the intercostal method. This is basically learning how to turn the upper torso (intent in the shoulders) one way while the lower torso (intent in the hip) stays the same or moves the other way.

These all work and work well together. I was taught one at a time and have a suspicion that you really do need to make one automatic before working on the next. I'm not sure if they should be taught in any specific oreder though. Or if they are, if it would change the power mechanic.

Water Dragon
02-26-2002, 08:22 AM
Oh yeah. I was always taught that the Taiji ball is mechanic #2 above.

yangster
02-26-2002, 08:19 PM
Thanks for all the information - gives new meaning to that little saying "The more I learn, the less I know" :D

Is this type of training typically taught in tai chi or would I be more likely to find it in a Qigong or Bagua type setting?

The "turning the tai chi ball" that I've learned is done in a standing position, holding the ball and turning side to side while the hands changed from yin to yang. Is this just a very basic precursor or something totally different?

yangster
02-26-2002, 08:41 PM
Sounds a lot like what I was shown.

Didn't think about it before but the hips did seem to trace a small, fluid looking figure 8. His hands were on his hips but I think that was so I could see what his hips were doing.

Any idea what the guy in the park trains in?

red_fists
02-26-2002, 08:46 PM
Hi Yangster.

Not sure will try to ask him on Sunday.

Another friend of mine once spoke to him and said that he did some form of Wu-shu.

But than my friends Japanese is rather pathetic.

TaiChiBob
02-27-2002, 04:27 PM
Greetings..

It is my understanding that this training is essential in transfering "Earth energy" through your center and directing it upward and outward.. It is integral to the eight Chen silk-reeling exercises that i am familiar with.. as you direct your energy(Chi) through the Dantien you may accentuate a certain portion of the figure 8 according to "intent" and desired results.. however, as i learned it, it is a tracing of two Tai Chi symbols (Yin Yang), one inverted and superimposed on the other.. the result is a large circle with the figure 8 inside.. from this figure all directions are represented, both large and small.. The waist (Dantien) area leads the torso/arm/hand expression of the same figure, assuring that the arms and hands don't cross the centerline, and adding to the physical momentum.. as you become adept at the physical motions, begin to let the mind direct the movement.. great surprises await the patient student..

Be well..