PDA

View Full Version : 8 Cardinal Points of 8 Step Praying Mantis

EARTH DRAGON
02-24-2002, 03:48 PM
Most systems have a set of fighting rules that function in the form of combat. I have yet to see any that applies so well as 8 steps besides that of Tai Chi Chuan's "classics". I have listed ours and wondered if you could list yours and or comment on the ones listed below.

1. Continuous movement with each technique giving birth to the next.

2. Close with the enenmy using the long hand, then destoy the enemy at close range using the short hand.

3. Attack high to open the low, attack low to open the high.

4. When attacking left defend the right , when attacking right defend the left.

5. Attack and defend simultainously, since all actions are neither offensive noe defensive.

6. Actions must be natual and reflexive, dont think act.

7. Stay relaxed and always change the stepping pattern.

8. In action there is stillness, in stillness there is action.

Stacey
02-24-2002, 08:54 PM
I saw an article about it over the summer

grifter721
02-28-2002, 12:49 PM
Those are basically the same as 7 star.

DO you guys have the 12 soft methods and 8 hard?

EARTH DRAGON
02-28-2002, 06:48 PM
Yes we have the 12 flexible and the 8 rigid same thing I believe. Do you have any other priciples that you follow? How have you used these in fighting?

grifter721
02-28-2002, 08:21 PM
12 flexible tech eh. Flexible meaning soft techniques? Or evasive ones?
Well in fighting/sparring I usually try and get myslef into a good position , and have a good stance. I think that should be taken into consideration as a principle, hard stances make you better balanced againts an aggresive and strong opponent. Many people lose sight of the fact that a key proponent in Mantis is our footwork, quick and deceptive. Yet strong in nature. Many Mantis practioners forget about that and once they run into a GOOD fighter they will defiently have problems.
Another pinciple I'd say is important is the constant attack, continuous flowing as you said. Pressure is hard to combat.

I would also like to say that a good kung fu guy has eyes around the back of his head, many people focus on the moves they are going to try instead of watching what your opponent wants to do. Once you map out their movement it is over. Good Kf guy will control the fight like a movie.

I'll add some more 2 cents later.

grifter721
03-01-2002, 02:56 AM
hey Earth Dragon I am looking into starting some Quigong classes ion the summer what should I look for in the eteacher?

EARTH DRAGON
03-01-2002, 10:02 AM
Well It really depends on many things like what kind of qigong, purpose, what reason, and so on...

I would say personally find a chinese teacher, that doent mean that just becuse they are chinese they are good. Or that if they are not chinese they are not . But if I wanted to learn how to cook italian food I would learn from an italian.

Find out what kind of qigong they offer. I perfer medical to learn how to eventually become a doctor or O.M.D. But most teachers teach only selfcultivating excersises, which is OK but it will limit you. My teacher teaches personal and medical. The medical goes far beyond the level of personal, and is much more interesting and in depth.

Ask to feel thier chi in a demonstration or chi manipulation. You should be able to feel the energy immediatly. and ask about projection. Most qigong teachers in the US know only about internal for health, but not external for healing.

Ask what is the highest level of qigong they teach.

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head but please let me know what you find.. PS where do you live? good luck!

grifter721
03-02-2002, 03:24 PM
I live in Toronto.

The classes start in APril for it is a summer community thing you know. So I wont be abale to talk to anyone about it till then. But thank you for info.
I will get back to you about Mantis principles though, a lot of our stuff is the same so it seems.