PDA

View Full Version : good lion dancers in the U.S.

once ronin
02-25-2002, 01:31 AM
chinese new years season lion dance is almost over. any good lion dance performances in the U.S? on the poles or ground.....

fiercest tiger
02-25-2002, 05:13 AM
check out the YAU KUNG MUN kung fu in san fran, VANCOUVER etc, they are the best lion and dragon dancers in the U.S!

ykmusa.com:D

once ronin
02-25-2002, 10:28 PM
WHAT IS IT THAT MAKES THEM SO GOOD? is there a video or web site thats shows them playing?

churn-ging
02-26-2002, 02:06 AM
What makes Yau Kung Moon so good in the United States is because they where three time national champions!

Also, cause I grew up watching them perform at all the major festivals here!:D

fiercest tiger
02-26-2002, 04:17 AM
LOL, thats why!

thanks for the back up, churn ging! where do u live?

cheers
FT:D

once ronin
02-26-2002, 10:31 AM
did this national competition put out a video for sale? what lion dance tournament was it and where was it?

fiercest tiger
02-26-2002, 04:12 PM
Dont know what tourney, but ykm is world famous and have won many times in maylasia and singapore for the world champion ships. also malaysia are the best at the moment i think!

cya
FT:)

BSH
02-26-2002, 04:34 PM
What makes a good lion dance?? Easy, a good horsestance.

ji way lung
02-28-2002, 07:08 AM
Yep Malaysia are the world champions, Kung Sen Keng is their name. I posted a link on the main forum a few weeks ago, with video clips of the world championships held in Malaysia, they perform on the jongs only though. I have a tape of a traditional competition, I think Leung Ting's White Crane won, can't remember for sure, but they should have if they didn't! This must have been 10 years ago though, but I don't have an exact date.

Ah yes, stances very important, but you need to know how to manipulate the head well too!

Anyway YKMUSA have excellent lion dancing from what I've seen, and White Crane in San Fran as well, they had their 60th anniversay (or was it 30?) a couple of mths ago, so they had 60 lion heads out to celebrate it. And teams in Texas seem to be pretty good as well.

supfujow
02-28-2002, 11:24 AM
http://www.hungfist.com/

http://www.shaolinhunggar.com:D

Je Lei Sifu
02-28-2002, 08:59 PM
Wong's Chinese Boxing has some of the best traditional lion dancing I have every seen. Excellent Dai Fut and drum play.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu