PDA

View Full Version : does anyone know

fiercest tiger
02-25-2002, 05:21 AM
Has anyone ever used metholated spirits to fill there dit dar jow?

i have heard some people has, can you tell me if thats true or if it works as good as normal alcohol.

also is it bad to use it?

:)

fiercest tiger
02-25-2002, 03:19 PM
:) anyone here can help?

Crimson Phoenix
02-25-2002, 03:49 PM
You mean mentholated? I guess it couldn't be bad...maybe harder on the skin, but definitely I think it would make a nice jow...
Do not use methanol though :eek:

Mojo
02-25-2002, 03:54 PM
The late Henry Chung from Wing-On herbs in L.A.s chinatown used to put menthol into his own personal formula.

prana
02-25-2002, 06:48 PM
taking this out of my "behind" but isn't Methylated Spirits supposed to be toxic, where as Ethanol (Ethyl Alcohol) is less toxic ?

Just wondering. Any Chemistry gurus here ? I left my brains in year 7 :(

lazybones
02-25-2002, 07:04 PM
Here is a useful weblink :

http://www.pharmacy.ualberta.ca/pharm403/Oct-31-Methanol-Poisoning.pdf

I am not 100% sure but I am pretty sure that methanol is a component of methylated spirits. I guess it comes down to whether or not the methanol is metabolised by your body if you only rub the methanol on your skin. The article mentions that you can get methanol toxicity through the skin by working with paint thinners for an extended period of time. Hope this helps,

tnwingtsun
02-25-2002, 09:01 PM
Are we talking about the same thing as Wood Alcohol or the

the stuff thats in Ben Gay???

If you're looking for a solvent or a carrying agent I can think of better and safer compounds.

Besides,your Ozzy beer is much more stronger!!!!!

fiercest tiger
02-26-2002, 05:23 AM
you will taste the difference when i come over from a victoria bitter to a forsters lager.

later
FT

Buby
02-26-2002, 07:23 AM
Have you ever tried 151 Puerto Rican Rum in your jow? It's 151 proof and one of the strongest things you can drink without burning a hole in your stomach(although when you drink it feels like it's burning right through your throat and stomach .... Ahhh, the good ole days:D )

Take care,
Buby

tnwingtsun
02-28-2002, 10:13 PM
Lets be friendly for the moment.

"my uncle only uses xo brandy.expensive or what?but then he swears by quality.does anybody know the differences?"

It was funny when you suggested that you were one of my Sifu's students.

XO is a dead give away that you were full of BS on being one of Wong Sifu's students,lol!

But XO would be good as any carrier or solvent,just not to cost efficent where other compounds would do the job just as good.

But I like your taste!
:D

Has Anybody that makes JOW ever tried "DMSO" as a solvent?

I've used it(and another form of it that didn't have the "smell") for other stuff(figure that one out)

BTW,at the Chinese New Years dinner with Sifu,which part of Sam-mun did I do wrong??

PS,you uncle sounds like a good one,good for you!

anton
03-01-2002, 01:26 AM
I wouldn't recommend using metho for dit da. Use ethanol or something with a high ethanol content - the cheapest vodka at your local bottleshop will do the trick :)

P.S. - VB rules!!

Crimson Phoenix
03-01-2002, 03:26 AM
DMSO???? DiMethyl Sulfoxide?? You gotta be kidding!!!
I use it a lot, a solvent for biochemistry, or as an anti-freeze to keep cells in liquid nitrogen...
I can't stand the smell and texture of it accckkkkkk
Never use it in your jows, it can be quite harmful...

Using XO is a darn good idea though, who knows, maybe some components in it could indeed be very beneficial (XO contains an incredible amount of different molecules, polyphenols, aromatic etc...).
A jow with XO can only be a good jow :D

Kristoffer
03-01-2002, 04:16 AM
I have NO idea of what this thread is about.. seriously. Don't get a word of this. need more english classes :rolleyes:

xiong
03-01-2002, 07:53 AM
Although I am not a fermentation scientist I was a professional brewer so I'll give my two cents.

Methanol- highly toxic, I believe it is what they refer to as "wood grain" alcohol. I would stay away from this as you can not normally buy this for uses other than stripping paint.

Ethanol- least toxic, obviously we all drink this. As far as using expensive alcohol in your jow, that's up to you. I use Louis XIII (just kidding). <Kristoffer, the XO, VS, VSOP are all designations for Cognac, which is distilled from champagne, I also do not know exactly what they stand for but they are expensive>

Isopropanol- somewhat toxic, also reffered to as isopropyl alcohol or "rubbing" alcohol. You can get this in any drug store and obviously it is safe to put on your skin, thats what it's for. I believe it will cause blindness if drunk but is not quite as lethal as methanol.

There you have it, hope that clears things up. For those who don't want to read it all: Methanol=Death

Crimson Phoenix
03-01-2002, 09:17 AM
Extra Old...Very Superior...Very Superior Old P (Pell? Pale?? sp???)...