PDA

View Full Version : What is aiki-jujitsu?

koycymru
02-25-2002, 07:45 AM
?

shaolinboxer
02-25-2002, 08:40 AM
Aiki-jujitsu is an old japanese martial art brought to light by Sokaku Takeda, Soke of the Daito-Ryu school.

It is considered the main predecessor to aikido.

It is broken into several series of "teachings" designed to instill the capability to use ki as a means to defeat an opponent...throws, pins, breaks, controls, strikes, sword, knife, rope tying (binding),...it is a very comprehensive art.

Although more people are studying it today, it is still very hard to find legitimate instruction. Most aiki-jujitsu you see in the US is aikido or hapkido with some striking tossed in, but not really aiki-jiujitsu.

Depending on the aikido school, some dojos still reflect the content of aiki-jujitsu.

sean_stonehart
02-25-2002, 10:16 AM
Go to www.e-budo.com & check out the jujUtsu section. There are practioners of Daito Ryu Aiki jujUtsu there. They can answer any question you might have.

Why do I spell jujUtsu like that? Because that's not the bast-ar-dization of the spelling by the Brazilians.

koycymru
02-25-2002, 10:54 AM
U have a point. :]

KC Elbows
02-25-2002, 10:58 AM
So it is important to stick with the b@st@rdizations westerners first used for the style?:D

shaolinboxer
02-25-2002, 11:29 AM
Haha, right on KC. Jujutsu, jiu-jitsu, jujitsu....it's become a way for posters to say "my knowledge is more authentic".

I say jujitsu because it was what I learned long long ago, and it just stuck. Jujutsu is, however, academically correct.

KC Elbows
02-25-2002, 11:37 AM
Is it true that ju-jutsu was developed so that samarai in armor could fight open handed, or was it only for those samarai in armoUr?:D

And how is wing chun spelled? I swore I thought there was a T in there.

shaolinboxer
02-25-2002, 11:39 AM
Isn't it spelled vingtsun?

KC Elbows
02-25-2002, 11:40 AM
Is that the art that emin bozteppe and Leung Ting invented?

[INSERT RIOTING HERE]

sean_stonehart
02-25-2002, 12:00 PM
KC... yes, jujutsu was an unarmed fighting art used by samurai. It contains(ed) other things as striking/bone breaking (koppo), nerve & pressure attack (kosshi), etc...

As far as the bas-tard-iz-ing of it, it just annoys me. It's a pet peeve of mine. Besides, from what I've heard from other folks that speak Japanese, 'jitsu' means truth or something like that. I speak dojo & restaurant Japanese only. :cool:

yenhoi
02-25-2002, 02:07 PM
If you dont like how other people romanize things then you should develope a convient way of typing in japanese, or chinese and then sell it to the rest of us.

Pet peve, lol.

Leonidas
02-25-2002, 05:25 PM
You can't really flame him for that. It's the correct romanization no matter how you wanna spell it. Theres no Kenjitsu, Bujitsu, Iaijitsu, Taijitsu or any other jitsu, so why is the rule different for Jujutsu.

anton
02-25-2002, 06:24 PM
how would you write it in hiragana? ji-u ji-u-tsu?

Leonidas
02-25-2002, 11:07 PM
Beats me.....All the Japanese words i know are about Martials arts. I'm gonna take classes in some langauage soon but that nots gonna help you now is it. Ah well

Somebody will answer you soon.

red_fists
02-25-2002, 11:15 PM
Some Info on Japanese.

There are a few systems that are used to romanise Japanese writing.
Both are based on phonetic pronounciation, hence the difference.

I found that the one taught in the US differs from the one taught in Japan.
Atleast what my US buddies living in Japan told me.

So Jutsu could be Ju-tsu or Jiutsu

Jitsu is a different word and uses a different Kanji.

To give you an Idea there were 2 versions of Seibukan out there, might still be.
Correct one, and the wrong one that translated into "Sex way House" and BOTH are romanised into "Sei-Bu-Kan".

You can't tell the difference or true meaning unless you look at the Kanji/Chinese Characters.
So it depends on which romanisation system you use, but "Jitsu" is wrong from a Japanese language point of view.

anton
02-26-2002, 06:52 AM
Yeah that makes sense (wish I'd kept learning Japanese at school). I guess to be most accurate it'd have to be either
jujutsu or jiujiutsu.