PDA

View Full Version : JMA school questions

Chinwoo-er
02-25-2002, 09:14 AM
It had just occured to me.........

I have never seen a JMA school which teaches "japanese arts". No I am not degrading schools here and starting a fight. I mean teaching comprehensive japanese arts. That includes strikings ( similar to karate ), grappling, wrestling ( similar to judo + jujitsu ), a large range of weapons of sword, sai, chucks, spear, naginata, etc etc. philosophy, internal power, breathing,

I was wondering, has anyone here seen a school which teachings " Budo" as a whole and not just one part of it like karate or judo ?

I mean, in CMA, all those things are taught under a particular style. And that style has a set of principles which is displayed through all those aspects of combat. As anyone seen a style of JMA which has such a comprohensive stock ?

Chinwoo-er.

shaolinboxer
02-25-2002, 09:31 AM
http://www.nyseibukan.com/

Tomiki Aikido combines Aikido and Judo.

http://www.kokushibudo.com/

The above has it all...

So, there ya go.

Chinwoo-er
02-25-2002, 09:43 AM
both of those schools still lacks weapons training.......which is one of the key things which JMA does. Separate empty hands and weapons. And even when they have weapons, they separate the sword with other things.

shaolinboxer
02-25-2002, 10:05 AM
"even when they have weapons, they separate the sword with other things."

? I'm not sure what you mean by that statement.

Try reading "Secrets of the Samurai" for further insight into the different Ryu.

Also, you are mixing Japanese styles w/ Okinawan.

The older styles of jujutsu may be the answer to your question. Try looking at www.koryu.com

Chinwoo-er
02-25-2002, 10:16 AM
let me elaborate.

This isn't something which is exclusive to Japan. It is in Europe as well, the "sword" hold a very unique status in the weapons rack. So the training of the sword is always much more focussed than of other weapons. I understand the cultural significance of the sword in the Japanese MA. But the separation is there.
In CMA, the primary weapons are the dao, jian, gun, jiang. But even so, the significances they hold are not as distincted from other weapons than that of the japanese sword.

Anthroman
02-25-2002, 10:34 AM
I know, at least, in the Aikido and Aikijutsu schools I've trained in
we trained in striking (particularly more in the aikijutsu then aikido however), grappling, very limited amounts of kicking and sword, jo, knife, kubotan/yawara, and even a little training in bo. Sword training is particularly important in this context because alot of the techniques and body mechanics developed out of sword work. So if you do sword work it helps to improve your empty hand technique. We would do these weapons in training with other weapons and with empty hand technique.

In my aikjutsu some discussion in class was made of martial philosophy, particularly involving the idea of breaking away from a win/lose dicothomy and moving into a stop the conflict idea mindset. In the aikido the philosophy tends to be more of a harmony between attacker and the person attacking. Both arts did have some work on internal power and breathing althought to a much lesser extent then I've seen in the chinese martial art i've studied (ba gua zhang).
So just a reflection of my own personal experience in response to your question
Anthroman