PDA

View Full Version : My new workout plan

KC Elbows
02-25-2002, 09:54 AM
Because of temporary health problems, I've had to scale down my workout/practice. Any impact(jumping, hard striking) is out, as it seems to really affect my side(mystery pain and pressure in my right side, seeing a doctor, but no leads as of yet). Anyway, here's my workout, any input is appreciated:

-Chi kung for 45 minutes

-walking on the treadmill for about 30 minutes, from a slow walk to a very fast walk and back down

-Light ab workout, mostly crunches, side crunches, plus back extensions(60 of each)

-50 push ups

-30 minutes of stance(a routine, more for mechanics than for strength)

Right now, I'm concentrating on losing a few pounds(maybe ten) while I am unable to do a heavy workout.

Paul
02-25-2002, 12:58 PM
Have you considered adding any higher intensity non-impact stuff like swimming or cycling(stationary bike even)? You don't really have anything there that is going to get your heart rate up very much. Maybe that's your goal?

KC Elbows
02-25-2002, 03:06 PM
Good idea. Glad you thought of it. That'll beef it up a little.

Might be a good excuse to become a better swimmer.

Brian_CA
02-25-2002, 11:44 PM
Before I make this suggestion, let me give my credentials. I am a professional certified Yoga instructor in the bay area, who works in many of the health and fitness clubs in the San Francisco area. I work with athletes of all levels on a daily basis, with a focus on rehabbing sports related injures. In addition, I am hung gar practitioner of 12 years.

I would suggest that you find a good yoga school or teacher, (some of the best work in health clubs and gyms)! And do a basic yoga class for a while. Avoid the Astanga series.

Try to work with your injury for a while. Explore what motions irritate the injury and stop doing them. Until your injury heals, avoid extended cycling (spinning classes), heavy weight lifting, extended walking machines (i.e., treadmills, stairmasters) and heavy martial arts practice for a while.

Swimming is great during rehab. Think low impact. GET INTO A GOOD YOGA CLASS! Try to practice yoga 2-3 times a week for month, then up it to 3-5 times a week in the second month.

See how you feel at the end the two months. More then likely, your injury will feel better. If it doesn't feel 100% then repeat the process above until it does.

Hope this helps.

Brian
San Francisco, CA

guohuen
02-26-2002, 08:17 AM
Sounds great KC. A suggestion. Increase your stance training by 5 mins.

KC Elbows
02-26-2002, 08:22 AM
Brian,
Its not a sports-related injury. However, the yoga thing isn't a bad idea, but unfortunately I can't afford it right now. However, I learned some yoga in the past from one of my kung fu teachers, and I have been practicing that. I forgot to include my stretching in the above list.

Anyway, right now, chi kung seems to be helping. I avoid cycling generally(my entire family except for me used to tour ten-speeds, my father for twenty years, my oldest sister for 15 years, the rest for around ten years except me, who also is the only one with good knees nowadays).

KC Elbows
02-26-2002, 08:23 AM
guohen,
Why specifically 5 minutes?