PDA

View Full Version : Training in the East

NPMantis
02-25-2002, 10:23 AM
Hi,

I am planning to train full-time for a month with a friend later this year, we have been considering a visit to Shaolin but to be honest it seems more about making money than providing a real life-experience for people. On the russbo.com message board there are many people who seem to have been let down by the whole experience. I still want to do it but am not sure where to do it.

I would like to know if anyone has done it and could recommend a school (doesn't have to be in China) or if anyone has any suggestions or web site addresses I could look at.

Thank you so much for any help, it is very much appreciated.

Best regards,

Mantis

Ray Pina
02-25-2002, 12:51 PM
I guess all that needs to be said is, the place now has a gift shop.

As for other teachers, I have heard the land is quite tapped out already. Those that were not killed or jailed during the cultural revolution fled to Taiwan, New York, Hong Kong, San Fran.

If there are a few good ones floating around, I can't see them lining up to teach a few Lo Fan coming in for a week or two. Can't see why they would do that. It's shame about CHina. I love its culture and way of thought, but the communist have surpressed the good stuff and Wushu seems to be the thing -- even at Shaolin.

I haven't seen one Shaolin demonstration that has impressed me. As for the spear bending and what not, I'd like to pick and hold the spear. As for the bed of nails, science makes it quite possible for all of us to do.

There actual methods, seem more flashy then effective. You'd be better off coming to NYC (more then welcomed) or going to some seminars. But visiting CHina just to visit is nice. I'd like to go myself, to see the wall, Beijing, maybe check out if there is any good surf. I heard there is a place that get's a tidal wave twice a day on the change of the tides. It averages 6 to 8 feet and they built a huge wall after people were getting uscked away. I saw footage of it. Looks pretty radical;) . It can get bigger, up to 20 feet.

My mission next year is to learn Mandarin and the banjo.

KC Elbows
02-25-2002, 12:56 PM
Please, PLEASE...

DO NOT...EVER...COME UP WITH MANDARIN BLUEGRASS!

norther practitioner
02-25-2002, 01:10 PM
lol at KC. As far as a trip to shaolin, well it depends on what you go there for. Some people expect to go there and do this and some that. So it really depends, I would like to go just 'cause thats where it all started (so to speak), giftshop or not. EF is pretty much right on the masters part, but I hear that some of the teachers at those big schools in the middle of nowhere china are pretty good (of course this is all just hearsay, and well, I am guessing that some (read most) of them suck also). I understand it can be pretty dificult in china trying to train if you don't know any chinese.

qeySuS
02-25-2002, 01:10 PM
I think it's manditory to move to alabama and call yourself Cletus if you learn to play the banjo.

Ray Pina
02-25-2002, 02:15 PM
Just always wanted to learn. I like the sound of it. I like Jerry Garcia's blue grass but haven't heard much less. I;d like to jam with my musician friends and make it funky.

Right now I just bug out on the Djembe (African drum). That was from my Dead Head days. When I'd done writing, I figuered I'll listen to a Manderin CD on the way to class and pluck around with the banjo when waiting for the tide to go in or out.

Mandarin Blue grass. That's funny. I heard an old CHinese man playing this iwerd one or two string instrument in the subway on Sat. Real cool.

I don't have the desire to be real good. I save that for martial arts and writing, so want soemthing different so people won't know how bad I am or giving me pointers all the time -- I don't want any pressure involved with it.

KC Elbows
02-25-2002, 02:33 PM
EF,
My parents live in Kentucky. My dad organizes one of the larger bluegrass newsletters out there, and plays mandolin and fiddle. His teacher is Tim Lake, who did quite a bit of work with Jerry Garcia. You might want to check that stuff out. Also, if you've never heard Leftover Salmon, they play what they call Slamgrass, very fun stuff.

How many banjo players does it take to screw in a light bulb?

7. One to hold the bulb, and six to drink until the room spins.

There's a far side where beethoven is in hell, and the devil shows him to his room, and in it is an orchestra made up of entirely banjo players.

Could I be more OT?

Ray Pina
02-25-2002, 02:39 PM
I think I've seen Left Over Salman play at a club out here called the Wetlands. It recently closed, but I loved that place: best live music venue in NYC as far as I was concerned.

Phish, Blues Travelor, Pearl Jam, Dave Mathews -- a ton of bands played there when they were starting out. It closed a few months ago.:(

bamboo_ leaf
02-25-2002, 02:50 PM
I think the level of teacher one would find anywhere largely depends on the level of the student.

if you saw someone that was high level would you be able to see it? even the skills to do the wushu i don't think many would be able to do to the meduim level there.

Finding a high level teacher, what you expect to learn in a less then a month or so unless your level was such that s/he wouldn't have to spend a lot of time correcting what you already know.

what if you got there spent a lot of money, and all you did was standing for the whole time you was there. would it be worth it?

Why would such a teacher even bother showing some one s/he never met before anything, for what? money? :(

In my own travels in Southeast Asia I have met and seen many teachers, not many that I would train with, what they had didn’t appeal to me.

I think it’s very important to have a clear idea of what you expect to learn and then if possible find some one to introduce you, if you know the teacher you want to see.

The other thing I would say is relax and enjoy visiting a place many never see. :)