PDA

View Full Version : Recommended training videos?

jointlock
02-25-2002, 12:36 PM
Hello, I just found out about this forum a few days ago. Great forum. I would have joined earlier if I had known about it.
I have no experience ordering training videos and would like to do so. What training videos do you recommend?

ewallace
02-25-2002, 12:38 PM
street ready for the elderly with tae bo.

Just kidding. What style(s) are you interested in?

KC Elbows
02-25-2002, 12:54 PM
The Black Mask.

Techniques you will learn:

-How to dodge tank fire

-How to defend yourself while removing a bomb from a human heart

-That chest wounds are not nearly so deadly as shoulder wounds

Like ewallace said, what styles do you like?

jointlock
02-25-2002, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by ewallace
street ready for the elderly with tae bo.
ROFL :D

I'm interested in any training/styles that include optimum strikes, grabs, throws, and locks. Standing, and/or on the ground. And using optimum stances.
Wing Chun is cool, anything JKD related, Silat, anything involving optimum throws and locks, and Jujutsu/ground fighting.

jointlock
02-25-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by KC Elbows
The Black Mask.

Techniques you will learn:

-How to dodge tank fire

-How to defend yourself while removing a bomb from a human heart

-That chest wounds are not nearly so deadly as shoulder wounds
ROFL :D

ewallace
02-25-2002, 01:40 PM
that's a pretty broad range there dude.

JKD - I would recommend "Jun Fan/Jeet Kune Do - Scientific Streetfighting" written by Sifu Lamar M. Davis II. I know you are looking for training videos but this is a book.

San Soo - I recommend "Sudden Violence - The Art of Kung Fu San Soo" by Master Greg Jones. This is also a book. I have never trained San Soo but the book is good. I have heard that the "Street Ready" videos by Bill Hulsey are good but I have not personnaly seen them.

ewallace
02-25-2002, 01:42 PM
Is there any certain reason that you are interested in videos? Do you currently train in anything? Where do you live? Do you have any MA background? Does your mom make good mashed potatoes?

JasBourne
02-25-2002, 02:59 PM
"Wing Chun - the science of in-fighting" with Wong Shun Leung. Video, available from amazon. Probably best "intro to WC" video on the market, no political or cult crapola, just the real deal.

jointlock
02-25-2002, 03:46 PM
Cool, I'll check them out.

Is there any certain reason that you are interested in videos?

Yeah, because I don't have any training videos, and every martial arts expert I know has a collection of them. Experts generally continue to learn from other experts and so they also order videos done by well known experts. Problem is I don't know who they are or where to look, and I would like to have my own collection.

Do you currently train in anything? Where do you live? Do you have any MA background?
I haven't trained under my primary instructor for at least 6 months. I plan to train again with him soon. I haven't done a whole lot of training at all for 6 months and am a little rusty. I know that seeing some good instruction will get me back into the mindset and that's why I'm wanting to order videos.
I live in Dallas, Texas. As a child I took a Karate class for a while and that is where I learned to kick (about the only useful thing I learned). Then recently, about 4 years ago, my friend (30 years exp.) started training me. He asked what I wanted to learn, I told him something economical with the most combat effectiveness for the time spent learning. He told me Bruce Lee started off learning Wing Chun and that that would be a good choice. I said OK, and I learned basic Wing Chun. He said my kicks (that I learned as a kid) were good and he made only minor modifications to them.
I agree Wing Chun was the best style I could have started with because it forced me to become aware of my center line which caused me to become more aware and to have much better balance and coordination. He also instructed me in grabs and throws, however mostly in joint locks. Once I got to the point where I no longer needed to be corrected very often on my Wing Chun stance or any other aspect of it, and felt comfortable with it, I began to make my own modifications to it. I widened the stance some and after reading Bruce Lee's books, started using his style of punching. Also my instructor began teaching me the kickboxing/JKD element which I found I liked very much. During the at least 3 years we trained in joint locks more than any other category of technique. The next thing we will train in is Silat, which I don't have any training in at all.

ewallace
02-25-2002, 05:02 PM
Sounds like you are headed more towards the JKD concepts route. Be careful...like they say jack of all trades master of none. Don't get me wrong, I have tremendous respect for both the JKD Concepts and the Jun Fan/JKD camps. I will NEVER get into a debate about which is better/wrong/what Bruce would have done. Most JKD concepts include Thai, kali, escrima, maybe some silat and other styles such as BJJ. These are all great arts in and of themselves. I believe that you will benefit much more in the long run by completing training in each art. This is merely my personal opinion.

It sounds like you have jumped around a lot as have I. My Jun Fan instructor is moving in a few months and I believe that I will probably start training in wing tsun. It doesn't do much good to dabble around in a style for a few months here and another one there. So many styles take years of work before you really get to the good stuff. Ultimately you have to do what is best for you. You may feel that some wing tsun has given you a good foundation. Maybe you don't agree with the stance or some of the techniques or theories. If you don't progress far enough through a system you may never really grasp the reasons behind why a certain style does things a certain way.

That's it. End of sermon. Class dismissed. That is the most serious post you will ever see me make. I hope GDA found his beer because I need one.

jointlock
02-25-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by JasBourne
"Wing Chun - the science of in-fighting" with Wong Shun Leung. Video, available from amazon. Probably best "intro to WC" video on the market, no political or cult crapola, just the real deal. Cool. Thanks. I'll order it.

Black Jack
02-25-2002, 05:27 PM
"Combatives" 3-Tape Series, by Jim Grover aka Kelly Mccan.

Nuff said.

jointlock
02-25-2002, 07:34 PM
Sounds like you are headed more towards the JKD concepts route.
I guess so. I basicly checked out a few establistanced stances, tested them out, and made an informed descision on what my primary stance would be. I have used it ever since, and have been training with it for a few years. Same story on the strikes.

Be careful...like they say jack of all trades master of none.

That's true. You don't want to learn too many techniques or else you won't have time to practice them all with enough regularity to maintain (or attain) proficiency with any of them.

Most JKD concepts include Thai, kali, escrima, maybe some silat and other styles such as BJJ. These are all great arts in and of themselves. I believe that you will benefit much more in the long run by completing training in each art.
Interesting. I do plan to learn BJJ sometime soon, since being proficient in ground fighting is part of what makes a well rounded fighter, and BJJ seems to be the best thing to learn for groundfighting.
It doesn't do much good to dabble around in a style for a few months here and another one there. True, if that's all you ever do. But if you are researching/doing your homework, it benefits to spend up to a few months checking out a system before you decide to spend several years learning it.

If you don't progress far enough through a system you may never really grasp the reasons behind why a certain style does things a certain way.
True.

jointlock
02-25-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Black Jack
"Combatives" 3-Tape Series, by Jim Grover aka Kelly Mccan.

Nuff said. Cool I'll check it out.

LEGEND
02-25-2002, 09:48 PM
WWW.STRAIGHTBLASTGYM.COM

Chris McKinley
02-25-2002, 10:15 PM
These days, there's just so much available that it all really depends on what you want it for. Are you a raw beginner looking for no-nonsense simplified dependable moves to keep you alive long enough to escape unharmed? If so, the Jim Grover series is excellent. So is the first tape of the Vee Arnis Jitsu series and pretty much anything by Hock Hochheim. Tony Blauer, Geoff Thompson, Sammy Franco and Peyton Quinn deserve to be mentioned in that group as well.

Are you looking for material that performs double duty as good for both sport/NHB AND street/reality? There's quite a bit available in that market niche. Lots of good stuff on Muay Thai basics from various teachers. Eric Paulson has a nice series in the sport/street vein, so does Richard Dimitri.

You want primarily sport/NHB? Crack open a Black Belt magazine or one of the others on the stands. They're practically dripping with ads on every page devoted to that topic. Pick your favorite guy and buy his videos...they ALL have at least one video available these days.

Or do your interests differ from any of the groups I've listed above? If so, mention what you are specifically after and I'm sure somebody can steer you in the right direction. Just remember, you'll get as many opinions on what and who is good as there are numbers of people responding to this thread. Ultimately, you'll have to find out for yourself what you like.

IronFist
02-25-2002, 11:46 PM
I second the recommendation for WSL's Wing Chun video. It's the cheapest priced, and best info WC video I've seen.

Iron

fightfan
02-26-2002, 12:21 AM
http://www.groundfighter.com/valetudo1.html

These are the best for BJJ- IMHO!

jointlock
02-27-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by JasBourne
"Wing Chun - the science of in-fighting" with Wong Shun Leung. Video, available from amazon. Probably best "intro to WC" video on the market, no political or cult crapola, just the real deal.
I can't seem to find that one.

kungfulover
02-28-2002, 06:45 AM
I have all of tai shing pek kwar tapes. Their forms are cool and very practical. Very easy to learn and follow.

take a look at here : Cool instructional videp tapes (http://www.chinesekungfuonline.com/english/video.htm)

wufupaul
02-28-2002, 01:11 PM
I love Yang Jwing Ming's Chin-na videos. A friend dubbed two of them for me, great intro. to chin-na. With a name like joint-lock, I assume you like chin-na? It's great to see someone twisted up like a pretzel, haha.

jointlock
02-28-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by wufupaul
I love Yang Jwing Ming's Chin-na videos. A friend dubbed two of them for me, great intro. to chin-na. With a name like joint-lock, I assume you like chin-na? It's great to see someone twisted up like a pretzel, haha.
Yeah it is. A friend of mine also uses the term "pretzel" quite often, to describe it. :D
I'm definitely a Chin-na man. Interesting. I'll look for Yang Jwing Ming's videos. My friend once gave me a book called "Practical Chin Na" by Zhao Da Yuan, a fourth generation inheritor of Ba Gua Zhang. It says about the author such things as "Master Zhao is presently the chief martial arts instructor at the China People's Police Officer's Academy", and the book is excellent. It contains page after page of illustrated AND photographed Chin-Na techniques and it's very well written with much attention given to detail and physics, including scientific charts and diagrams, and info on the technical aspects of bone and joint dynamics. Very good read.

Leimeng
03-11-2002, 10:15 PM
For tapes I would reccomend "Fundamentals of Empty Hand Fighting" and "Fundamentals of Knife Fighting" put out by Green Dragon. Mr Allen goes through some very good concepts that are not shown in a lot of schools for fighting.
I also reccomend the Yin Fu Bagua series done by Dr Xie PeiQI and put out by the Association for Traditional Studies.

Peace,

sin loi

yi beng, kan xue

TaoBoy
03-11-2002, 10:47 PM
Just remember you can't learn from video - you can only mimic. Videos and books are great supplements but they don't replace an instructor.

Okay, that said - can anyone recommend any Southern Praying Mantis videos or books?

Colin
03-12-2002, 06:48 AM
Go check out Master Paul Whitrod's Chow Gar site.
www.paulwhitrod.com

His video's will be in the UK PAL format, but I think most new players will play US & UK formats.

Colin...

old jong
03-12-2002, 07:31 AM
I would strongly recommend you buy the complete serie of Star Wars movie!...If you want to learn how to use the force that is!....Just kidding! :D
It is not easy to learn kung fu from videos. There are things impossible to put in videos but I think BJJ and grappling are more easy to decorticate and be comprehensive on tape. Not putting down these arts in any ways but their nature goes well with that medium.