PDA

View Full Version : What sword styles are there?

nightair
02-25-2002, 01:06 PM
I want to learn more about swords and I was wondering if you would start naming and briefly describing some forms. Much thanx to y'all

JasBourne
02-25-2002, 01:15 PM
"Baat Jam Do" is Wing Chun's twin butterfly swords form. Not very flowery, but they don't call 'em "life-taking knives" for nothing :D

shaolinboxer
02-25-2002, 01:19 PM
What kind of swords?

Currently I'm studying Yagyu Shinkage Ryu. It has several kata, single and double man, individualized techniques, breathing technqieus, timing/distance (maai) drills, kiai cutting, etc.

So many kinds of swords from all over the world....

apoweyn
02-25-2002, 01:23 PM
i'm with shaolinboxer. that's a BIG question.

western fencing? japanese kenjutsu? many, many civilizations have some take on swordfighting.

nightair
02-25-2002, 01:23 PM
that sounds cool. Whatever type of swords every thing from Japanese to medieval martial arts.

Ray Pina
02-25-2002, 02:10 PM
I have only nibbled my master's E-chuan two handed sword. I like the leverage of two hands, wide grip. Though I'd like to learn the fencing as well. One of his disciples was a fencer in school and I've walked in on them a few times training. Looks fun.

Chang Style Novice
02-25-2002, 02:21 PM
Those pudao that whatsisname linked to a while back look like a lot of fun. The guy with the chinese swords page, him.

Xebsball
02-25-2002, 02:31 PM
You mean Thomas Chen?

Chang Style Novice
02-25-2002, 02:34 PM
yeah, that's him.

NorthernShaolin
02-25-2002, 11:10 PM
In CMA all sword arts can be traced to three major families: Shaolin, O-Mei and Wu Tang. All three families contain the 13 or so basic techniques of the sword and each of the families have numerous sword sets, ranging from single to double to sparring sets. Most MA historians state that Pa Kua and Tai Chi sword sets have their roots with Wu Tang family and some of the Shaolin family sword sets contain elements of saber techniques which gives the visual effect of some choppiness in its movements. Some of the Shaolin sword sets were actually based on the shaolin saber with sword techniques added.

Most people like the Wu Tang sword because of its fludiness and natural flowing movements. If they cannot learn a Wu tang sword set then they will learn the Tai Chi sword or the Pa Kua sword.

Within each family there are numerous sword sets and each sword set ended up within certain curriculumn of different styles both northern and southern, internal and external, as they were adpted by masters over the generations and became part of their individual styles.

Therefore each style will have their own sword set(s) that they have adopted from at least one the three major sword families mention above.

anton
02-26-2002, 06:55 AM
Does Wu Tang = Wudan ???

NorthernShaolin
02-26-2002, 08:27 PM
Yes

anton
02-26-2002, 08:41 PM

northstar
02-27-2002, 04:12 AM
You might want to check out www.swordforum.com and their chinese sword forums,
there are people there with fascinating knowledge of details.

GOLDEN ARMOR
02-27-2002, 08:18 AM
Choy Lee Fut has a lot of sword sets, especially the Chan family CLF branch wich also has some sword/saber dummies. They also have a cool form called the Yin Yang Sword & Saber, the sword is used in one hand like a dragon & the saber in the other hand like a tiger. Master Chen Yong-Fa will be teaching this form in china this year december at the CLF return to the origin 2, to his Wing Sing Tong & Hung Sing Gwoon instructors.

nightair
02-27-2002, 12:52 PM
Thanks everybody, I wight start leaning kendo I found out that thereis a small school at this buddist temple in my town.