PDA

View Full Version : learn to breathe

NYerRoman
02-26-2002, 01:20 PM
Hard styles, soft styles...

Do we know what they mean?
Well...I do now. I have to have an operation on my testicles because I have two huge varicoceles....blook clots that hurt.
Why? I never knew how to breathe correctly and instead of finding a softer touch to my forms and technique, I was always held in my breath and hit hard.

Bang!

Breathing is important...very very important.
Let it all out and flow all.

amitabha

ged
02-26-2002, 05:20 PM
on a side note to this, i was reading that abs site which was posted a while ago - http://www.t-mag.com/html/body_96ab.html

in those exercises, the guy says to inhale, do the first part of the rep, then let the breath out.... this is contrary to what ive been told at kung fu (exhale forcefully as your muscles contract).

is there a difference between punching and these ab exercises? im particularly concerned about the twisting exercise, to develop obliques (ie, same motion as used in punching).

kudos to anyone who can clear this up..... and sorry NYerRoman if i've hijacked this thread, but i reckon its related. sorry to hear about your testicles *winces*.

Silumkid
02-26-2002, 06:05 PM
Ouch indeed. Sorry to hear that about your buddies.

On the ab training article....I didn't read it, but from what you said, ged, this is totally opposite from everything I have EVER heard about resistance training of any form. One of the reasons you are not supposed to hold your breath during a muscular contraction is because it can cause a temporary spike in your blood pressure. Ever seen the guys at the gym who hold their breath while trying to lift too much to impress somebody? They get real red, real fast. Especially during an ab exercise...one of the best ways to get good results from a crunch, let's use for example, is to pull the abs towards the spine as you contract. Try holding your breath while you do that...darn near impossible.

Needless to say, I do not agree with this.

NYerRoman
02-27-2002, 12:47 AM
No guys....you're replies make sense.
Holding your breath while forcing any type of pressure (punches, kicks, ab training, weights) puts pressure on your testis. I had no idea as the doctor was telling me.
Who knew?

Talk about sending that Chi down....

TaoBoy
03-05-2002, 05:15 PM
Isn't it amazing how people neglect to think of breathing?
It keeps us alive - yet we take it for granted.
If NYerRoman's story doesn't inspire us all to beathe properly nothing will.

As for the abs debate, sounds wrong to me.
From a martial arts perspective we see that all the explosive moves (strikes/kicks etc) have an associated sound release (loud expulsion of air). The more powerful the technique, the more important the sound release. Stands to reason that this applies to all similar movements.

Never hold your breathe!

[Thanks to NYerRoman for the warning.]

NYerRoman
03-10-2002, 05:04 AM
And no one seems to get it most of the time....

Ugh.

Hey, may be in Melbourne visiting a friend soon. Checked out your school. Maybe I'll pass by.

later.

TaoBoy
03-10-2002, 04:41 PM
NYerRoman,

You'd be welcome to drop into our academy when you're in Melbourne. Send me an email <webmaster@melbkungfu.com> when you're in the country.

Cheers!