PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu!

tri2bmt
02-26-2002, 04:35 PM
I'm interested in expanding my martial art library and would love some suggestions. My specifics would be books on southern styles.
I have a couple books but are mainly concerened with the form (which I wouldn't be able to do anyway) and are filled with useless pictures. I want info on the kung fu and analysis by practioners.

Any recommendations are welcome

No_Know
02-26-2002, 06:09 PM
Ah! But the pictures can't be useless~ Flip-it- books consist of many pictures in a particular order. An order of progression. While a movie has more pictures than a book. The principle is -ish the same. The movements are like freeze-frame. One is before or after to the one (s) beside it. Amanual of jumpingjacks might have three pictures. Legs together and hands at side. Then legs spread and arms high to sides. Then, legs together and hands at side.

If the books you already have are by you considered worthless (as for the pictures) Then others suggested to you would also be, perhaps.

So? you would like books with words more than pictures?

The pictures are likely not worthless. Priceless but not worthless.

Shaolin fist--a yellow soft cover Chinese book

Five form fist--a black cover, soft cover Chinese book

Pa Kua *--hard cover English 1960s type 18 exercises at the front, non-Asian type in exercises. chinese-like in circle walkings.

the Unseen Mindforce of Kung-Fu--orange cover soft cover English

the Secret of Shao-Lin Internal Kung-Fu~--blue cover.

Fifth Brother
02-26-2002, 08:25 PM
To name a few>

Phoenix Eye fist by Draeger/Cheong
Secrets of Shaolin Temple Boxing by Robert Smith
Kung Fu - History, Philosophy and Techniuque by Chow
Hung gar books by Buck Sam Kong
Shaolin Kung Fu by Wong Kiew Kit :)

NPMantis
02-27-2002, 04:30 AM
Fifth Brother beat me to it! 'The Art of shaolin Kung Fu' by Wong Kiew Kit is a really great book, it has some forms in it which I have never really looked at closely, but the book is just such a great read - well worth having.

'The Art of Expressing the Human Body' (Bruce Lee) by John Little is also quite interesting, it has given me some new ideas on training methods.

Go and search amazon.com and you can find quite a lot of interesting books (and more reviews on these).

Hope this helped!

Take care,

Mantis