PDA

View Full Version : Weight Training ?

yenhoi
02-26-2002, 04:55 PM
Applys to probably all types of training, but

If the soreness isent gone after 1 day of rest, should you continue your every-other-day weight training?

CD Lee
02-26-2002, 09:49 PM
Depends. But rule number one. Let your body do the talking. If it hurts, take it easy. Very light training on sore days at most. Let your system build into a rythym. If you get consitently sore more than one day after, then go to two days. The older you get, the longer the sore lasts.

Ford Prefect
02-27-2002, 10:51 AM
Most DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) is actually worse the second day. If you are just starting out with weights, the best thing to do is to do the big three (squat, deadlift, bench) 2 days per week (ie Monday & Thursday) for a couple months. This will help your body adjust to the loads and give you time to recover between workouts. Also building your strength in these lifts will give you a good base to work from.

yenhoi
02-27-2002, 12:27 PM
I just added 'weight training' to my schedule. I was sore for 2 days, today (the third day) I am not sore at all. Same light training routine for both sore days. Today I will probably hit the weights again.

Tks.

yenhoi
02-28-2002, 01:43 PM
The same workout last night left me only half as sore (intensity wise, same areas and muscles affected in the same fashion).

If half as much soreness takes only half as long to go away, then I should be able to continue the routine tomorrow (friday) night.

New question: should I? Since the first session of this routine required 2 days of rest, should I adopt a 1 on - 2 off schedule until I change my routine, or just go with the body like I usually do?

IronFist
02-28-2002, 06:58 PM
In my opinion, you should absolutely not work any muscle that is sore, ever.

Some say light work, I'd say only stretching to get the blood flowing. For example if your chest or triceps or front shoulders are sore you would not do bench or pushups. Doing such prevents the muscle from healing fully and you are really not getting any benefit the second time.

IronFist