PDA

View Full Version : Tsui Hark's 'Zu Warriors'

Mojo
02-27-2002, 11:32 AM
Check out this comming attractions clip for the next Tsui Hark kung-fu fantasy film.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/miramax/zu_warriors.html

It looks pretty good.

ewallace
02-27-2002, 11:41 AM
It's good to see asian m/a films with 21st century special effects and action sequences.

Ray Pina
02-27-2002, 11:43 AM
I just hope this whole venue isn't played out by the time I finish my book.

Suntzu
02-27-2002, 12:01 PM
action from start to finish, but only one actual "kung fu fight" and it was heavy on the wire work. The stoey is all over the place and like a hundred characters. The sfx were well done tho… i give it 6 out of 10, but these are just my opinions check it out for yourself…

fmann
02-27-2002, 12:26 PM
The movie is not that good though: As stated before, the story is all over the place and the movie is so short that you don't really care about the characters or anything.

IMHO, a very bad choice to release over here.

Kristoffer
02-27-2002, 02:46 PM
looks gay

Xebsball
02-27-2002, 03:09 PM
Im waiting for the trailer to load...

please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly, please dont fly.

Xebsball
02-27-2002, 03:31 PM
Oh ****! They flyed, and worse than in CTHD

LEGEND
02-27-2002, 09:23 PM
This is an old movie ain't it!?

Chang Style Novice
02-27-2002, 10:37 PM
I believe it's a remake of an older one. For certain, I saw Zu, Warriors of the Magic Mountain years ago. But my Longhorn Tsui has apparently decided to do it again with better fx.

And dangit, what do you expect from a kungfu fantasy picture except flying heroes?

Crimson Phoenix
02-28-2002, 03:13 AM
It's not just a remake, it's a true sequel, although quite independent (you do not need to see the first one).
They don't just fly around, but also possess powers that would make Son Goku jealous...
The story line is intricate and epileptic, western viewers not accustomed to typical chinese wu xia pian beware, you might not swallow it!!!
There is only one "down to earth" sword scene, the rest is battles of super powers and magical weapons...
Zhang ZiYi plays a microscopic part in it...she is even heavily backed up by a double in the aformentionned sword fight (accckkkkk, I scold myself every time "DO NOT USE THE DVD SLOW-MO function, or your childhood illusions will jut fade"...like they did when I analyzed Jacky's pa*****o room fight in Thunderbolt).
But overall I really enjoyed it, it's a unique movie with great andbold ideas and an undeniable plastic beauty...
You don't have to love it, but at least go see it if you don't want to die ignorant :D

And go see Shaolin soccer too (aka Kung Fu soccer in the US) :D

dezhen2001
02-28-2002, 03:36 AM
I agree with Crimson Phoenix. It's a good movie if you like fantasy/fiction (wu xian pan). I really liked it. I feel so amazed when i see movies like this with all the effects: they're really cool. Simple things amuse simple minds i guess :)

Ekin Cheng seems ot be making a name for himself with these kinda movies (also "A Man Called Hero" and "Stormriders" which were great!).

They were all made at least 1 or 2 years ago though. It does take time for HK movies to make it this far West ;)

As for Shaolin Soccer ---> :D

david

Kristoffer
02-28-2002, 05:58 AM
It's still gay

dezhen2001
02-28-2002, 06:34 AM
:D

what was the last good movie you saw then?

david

Gigante
02-28-2002, 07:20 AM
Magical powers! Cool weapons and flying!! YEAH!! :D

I love stuff like this. It tickles my imagination.

Suntzu
02-28-2002, 07:32 AM
I actually like stormriders better than Zu… as for shaolin soccer…
:D

Kristoffer
02-28-2002, 08:28 AM
I liked Dude where's my car :D That's straight :D

Crimson Phoenix
02-28-2002, 08:31 AM
That explains :rolleyes:

dezhen2001
02-28-2002, 08:36 AM
everyones gonna be wondering why we keep going: Shaolin Soccer... :D
but really it's hilarious! in a silly kinda way!

I liked Stormriders better than Zu: of course it has the lovely Kristy Yeung and Shu Qi (Shu Kei), which IMO are much better than Zhang Ziyi.

I liked seeing the numerous sword 'duels' in that movie - the cinematography was just amazing! Also in Zu when you see everyone flying between the different mountains/palaces - just spectacular...

On the VCD i saw it had an extra at the end with some behind the scenes footage showing how they created the effects. I was so amazed to see that so much of the movie was computer generated!

dave

Suntzu
02-28-2002, 08:47 AM
"Shu Qi (Shu Kei), which IMO are much better than Zhang Ziyi. "

I don’t know about that, but anyway…

Shaolin Soccer is funny… the scrimmage is the best… not a big cgi fan tho, so zu lost madd points on that…

JasBourne
02-28-2002, 08:59 AM
"I liked Dude where's my car :D That's straight :D "

ROFL that movie is like a walking endorsement for anything by Harvey Firestein :D

Ahh, CTHD was ok, but I still thought the story was lame. I'm not a huge fan of wuxia, the last wuxia flick I really enjoyed was "Comet, Butterfly, Sword" with Michelle Yeoh. If this movie has more flying and less story than CTHD, I'm renting "Dude," :D

Chang Style Novice
02-28-2002, 09:04 AM
I really liked Dude, Where's My Car? although I hesitate to call it a good movie. It is, however, the most Dude, Where's My Car? movie I have ever seen. That's worth something, right there.

How can anyone dislike a movie where Sammo Hung fights back an evil demon with his prehensile eyebrows? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

dezhen2001
02-28-2002, 09:04 AM
>> I don’t know about that, but anyway…

don't worry Suntzu, they all come pretty close if u ask me :D
I've just seen more movies with Shu Qi in, than Zhang Ziyi, that's all...

Chang Style: that Sammo Hung reference made me ROTFL! :D

I borrow VCD's from my mates but sometimes there's no subtitles :( Although i can understand a little Cantonese, not enough for a movie!

As for Shaolin Soccer, it was all in Mandarin - no hope of understanding any of that!:confused:

Dude where's my Car was pretty crazy 2! :D

I think i'm gonna have to go to the movies pretty soon...
david

JWTAYLOR
02-28-2002, 09:44 AM
I believe the Germans would call it "ubber hokey".

JWT

Chinwoo-er
02-28-2002, 09:44 AM
the bad guys in Zu looked more like power rangers.

ewallace
02-28-2002, 09:46 AM
and theeeeeen?

txwingchun
02-28-2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by ewallace
and theeeeeen?
No and then!

ewallace
02-28-2002, 10:15 AM
No. And theee....no that's it. This could have been turned into a record breaking thread for number of posts had that nonsense gone on any longer!

GeneChing
02-28-2002, 10:19 AM
Zu premiered in HK on August 9, 2001, the first movie was in 1983. The first movie was groundbreaking, the first in the HK fant-asia wave, really. I think the new Zu is pretty groundbreaking too, but I would classify it as high fant-asia, not really a kungfu flick despite a lot of sword waving. It's a lot of eye-candy and I recommend turning off the sound and putting on your favorite hardcore music. The plot isn't as significant as the visuals.

I really didn't care for Stormriders, but after seeing Zu and Shaolin Soccer, I understand it's significance to the genre.

We carried Zu at MartialArtsMart.com - it was advertised in our Mar/Apr 2002 issue. It sold out fast and now, since Miramax bought it, we cannot distribute anymore. We still have Shaolin Soccer but I hear Miramax has bought that too so we probably won't have it for long...
http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/movhigfansha.html

Kristoffer
02-28-2002, 10:36 AM
"No. And theee....no that's it. This could have been turned into a record breaking thread
for number of posts had that nonsense gone on any longer!"

LOL :D Why does that sound familiar..? Hmmm
(check out the big thread about nothing)

Asia
02-28-2002, 12:36 PM
I loved the first Zu and lilked this one! (Then again I grew up primarily in asia and find this NORMAL!!) Being that I have TONS of Asian Cinema (I could put ANY video store out of business! But bear in mind I have been collecting and watching this stuff since I was a kid.) Most Asian cinema takes some getting used too. I just say sit back and enjoy. Don't think too much and take it all in.

BTW "Dude, Where's My Car?" was hilarious a sure cure for long boring deployments to "Peace Keeping "Missions (but the vist from Selma Hiyak (sp?) and the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders did WONDERS for moral)

jun_erh
02-28-2002, 01:21 PM
I loved the first one. Anyone who lives in Boston should check out Video Oasis in Cambridge. They have all the old and new kung fu/ HK stuff. Like 1000 titles or some ****

Gigante
03-01-2002, 07:40 AM
Storm Riders? I have to get it! Thanks for the tip !

Shaolin Soccer... just excellent!
Complete kung-fu overkill !!
That's REAL kung-fu, I tell you!! :D

"Sweet! What does mine say?"
"Dude! What about mine?"
"Sweeeeet... what does MINE say????"