PDA

View Full Version : Merryprankster / Ryu / other pagans.

yenhoi
02-27-2002, 12:41 PM
MP: you said Weapons is the gap in your training...

You dont train any sort of weapons, and / or you dont train against any sort of common weapons? (Sticks like bats and pool cues, or knives?)

Ryu: you said you know how to 'use' nunchaku ( some post about japanese girls and your birthday?) did you train in them for functionality or just because or whatever? What other weapons have you trained useing or trained against?

The actual question is "why?"

Why not train with / for weapons, and as far as Ryu, I know your 'hardcore' training focuses on functionality, how did nunchaku perform for you?

Ryu
02-27-2002, 12:56 PM
Alas, my nunchaku forms were learned when I was rather young, and it was more for show. Had a TKD teacher instruct me a little when I was not even in my teens. So no, the nunchaku is more for show for me :D Sorry. But I do train knives, sticks, and other weapons more functionally. Basically things I carry or can be found (knife, bat, etc) I do spar with more traditional weapons for fun though...shinai against bo, fencer against long staff, etc.
Interesting stuff. But as far as weapons I have some skill with they are more "unimpressive" Stuff like knives, guns, stick.

Ryu

Badger
02-27-2002, 02:02 PM
Who did you train TKD with?

Badger

Merryprankster
02-27-2002, 02:58 PM
I've fallen prey to time constraints and personal priorities.

I have goals in sport jiujitsu and MMA events, and I still have to deal with real life. If I could realistically squeeze another hour of training into my day, I'd do it. But I can't. So something has to take a back seat. Weapons it is, in this case. I do, however, plan on doing weapons work in the future. I don't expect my lack of weapons training to be a permanent feature.

Basically, I primarily train for combat sports, not self-defense. It's really not the same thing. Combat sports have obvious self-defense applications, but usually require very good at a piece of the self-defense game. Judo is an example--it's most usually taught as a sport. So they usually have only a rudimentary knowledge of how to deal with kicks and punches, etc. On the other hand a good Judoka is a dangerous opponent.

Ryu
02-27-2002, 04:30 PM
God that was a long time ago. I can't remember his name. :(
He was from Korea though.

Ryu

Tigerstyle
02-27-2002, 04:39 PM
"He was from Korea though."

That means he's legit, then ;) .

Is your TKD belt ranking still good?

Badger
02-27-2002, 04:44 PM
Was it around Dallas?

Badger

Ryu
02-27-2002, 04:47 PM
LOL, to an impressionable 10 year old it was God-sent.
Not being able to speak English was a sign of a master :D

I got up past brown belt in TKD actually, but that all when I was a kid, I don't consider it anything really big. I don't know if its still good anymore...Paul may beat him up if he knows another man has given me a "don't know if it's still good anymore" rank. :D

Ryu

Ryu
02-27-2002, 04:48 PM
no no, somewhere in Sacramento CA if I can remember right.

Badger
02-27-2002, 04:56 PM
I just thought it would have been cool if you had trained at some of the same places that I did.(Besides Carlos Machado)

Badger