PDA

View Full Version : First impressions

Yung Apprentice
02-28-2002, 07:24 PM
I'm going to be visiting some schools soon, and wanted to know what I should be looking for when I go visit them? To see if they are a good school and not some "mcdojo"? How would I be able to tell the teacher will be able to give me further knowledge as I advance? Whar should I look for? Please help me out, and don't be afraid to get into detail. Thank you.

Budokan
03-01-2002, 06:32 AM
You can always tell more about a school than you might think by sititng in on a class and observing the instructor and his students. (Which is one reason why some schools don't allow this practice. By all means, stay away from them.)

Watch the interaction between instructor and students. Does he have control of the class? Is it a good working environment or does he run it like a Nazi death camp? Are the students respectful--and more importantly, does it look like they're having fun even though they're being exercised to the point of exhaustion?

Next, look at fees. Avoid any long term contracts and any contracts at all if possible. You should only pay on a monthy basis at the minimum.

Do a little research before you sit in on a class. Read up about that style so you'll have some cognitive foundation to relate what you're seeing out on the floor to what you know. Finally, ask some of the students what they think of the class, the instructors, the dojo, etc. Usually, the best recommendation you can get is word-of-mouth from someone who knows what they're talking about.

Good luck in your search!

Sho
03-01-2002, 07:09 AM
Budokan has given some very good suggestions. You might also want to actually try out the school, so it would be nice if they have some demonstration classes that you can attend free-of-charge before the beginners' course starts. This way you get a better impression about the training methods and atmosphere.

shaolinboxer
03-01-2002, 07:24 AM
Here's what I look for:

1) Look at the beginner students and how they are treated by their seniors. Do they look like they are enjoying themsleves? Do they look bored or challanged? Remember, the advanced students look good and can make you think "I wanna be like that!", but you will be a beginner for a while so you might want to focus your attention on what they are doing.

2) Find out if and when the head instructor teaches classes. IMO, at least one class a day should be taught by the sifu in charge.

3) Try to sit in on a class, then come back and take a trial class.

4) Be sure that beginners are treated with respect, even by the head instructor.

5) Look at the student body. Are they overweight? What's the male/female ratio? How old are the students?

6) Other useful optional questions: What is your overall approach to training? Do any police officers train here? How will my training effect my daily life? Who was the sifu's sifu? How long has the most senior student been training with him/her? What if I am late to class? What if I don't like one of my training partners or I fear they will injure me, do I have to train with them? Why do we bow? Can I drink water during class?

After you get a good taste of prolonged training, take another look at your school...but that's another topic.

Shopping is fun! Enjoy and good luck :).

xiong
03-01-2002, 07:31 AM
I think Budokan is right on target with his advice. I would just stress that the style of the school needs to be compatible with your interests. I do not mean martial style.

After viewing the class ask yourself if the structure is too strict or too lax. Is the instructor engaging, i.e. are the students paying attention to them? And lastly due the other students seem like people you want to hang out with? You are going to be spending a fair amount of time with them.

Good luck in your search and remember that it doesn't matter how good the lineage of a school is or how effective the Art is if you don't like the instructors, class format, or fellow students and drop out.