PDA

View Full Version : Stone Warrior revisited

IronFist
02-28-2002, 11:56 PM
Alright. I'm training my friend for a frat-hosted campus wrestling tournament that is coming up towards the end of March. He wrestled for 4 years in highschool, and is now a college sop****re, so he's been out of the wrestling scene for 1.5 years. But, I told him I would get him to be in the best shape possible given the 4 weeks I have to work with him (we started on Monday).

Alright, so, tonight I thought that the first set from Stone Warrior would benefit a wrestler, as it's very akin to crushing and holding strength. Of course, I would never teach all 21 to him, hehehe, but one is alright.

Anyway, I demonstrated it for him so he could see what it's supposed to look like in terms of speed, breathing, tension, etc. I haven't done Stone Warrior in nearly 2.5 years. I only did 4 reps (for fear of messing up my PTP cycle... see my related post on the main forum called "I suck.") but **** did it feel good! What the hell? I don't remember liking it that much. Maybe it was just a welcome change from PTP and weight lifting. Or maybe it's the fact that I could see my muscles rippling and my veins popping out and the superficial bodybuilder ego in me came out. I'm almost considering switching over to that for a while.

Weird, eh? I probably only remember half of the 21 exercises and not even in the right order (after the first 3), and I remember the last one, and the one mainly internal one, but that's it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... What should I do...

Back when I was doing Stone Warrior in my high school and first semester of college days, I didn't know very much about nutrition, and I tried to avoid fat (funny too because I've always been one crazy ectomorph). What an opposite to my "eat everything in site" bodybuilding stage. I really, really wonder what Stone Warrior would have done had I known more about eating for mass at the time. Even as my diet was, it gave me huge shoulders. Or maybe that was a genetic thing. I don't know. But ever since I started lifting weights, which came after Stone Warrior, my shoudlers, especially the side delts, have been stronger than everyone's except the big roid heads'. But I bet Stone Warrior had something to do with it, as just about every set in it is very shoulder rotating intensive.

Did you actually read this whole post? Geez. It was probably boring, go find something fun to do instead of reading my ramblings.

IronFist

IronFist
03-01-2002, 12:00 AM
...On a related note, kfo won't let you type the word sophomóre without an accent because it contains the word h o m o.

All those sop****res, geez... :P

IronFist

hkphooey
03-01-2002, 09:13 AM
iron

i read the whole thing. i'm at work though and don't have time to reply (wait..was there anything to reply to...???)

i've been interested in Stone warrior but haven't seen anything on it. i myself have had some interesting results with muscular/dynamic tension exercises and am really keen on checking out this SW stuff. how much do these tapes run, anyway??

p.s. my shoulders seem to be the one thing that won't really "come around" aesthetic-wise (strength-wise they're good). i would be a good "control" in the "what SW does for your shoulders" experiment...

IronFist
03-02-2002, 06:46 PM
i've been interested in Stone warrior but haven't seen anything on it. i myself have had some interesting results with muscular/dynamic tension exercises and am really keen on checking out this SW stuff. how much do these tapes run, anyway??

The tape is $100. However, Green Dragon has been (at least with me) very slow recently. I ordered a new catalog before I came back to college over Christmas Break and I still haven't gotten anything. However, if you are buying something they might be more motivated to send it out. When I ordered (in 98 or 99) it took probably 3-6 weeks for the tape to come. I don't remember exactly.

p.s. my shoulders seem to be the one thing that won't really "come around" aesthetic-wise (strength-wise they're good). i would be a good "control" in the "what SW does for your shoulders" experiment...

Yeah you would. :) It scorches my shoulders. But then again, my shoudlers might be big because they over compensate in EVERYTHING I do. Even regular flat benching gives me a huge pump in my shoudlers. If you have $100 laying around it's always worth a try, IMO.

Um, you probably wouldn't want to do SW if you have high blood pressure, as intense, long contractions tend to raise blood pressure, especially considering that SW at its highest level takes 90 minutes (****, I never got that high. The ****hest I took it was 16 reps per exercise, which took like 30-35 minutes to do).

IronFist

Leimeng
03-10-2002, 11:58 AM
I have not yet done stone warrior and unless I can find an additional two hours a day, and stop hsing yi, I probably wont be able to do that.
But, I have done the Teet LoHan Chin Chuan dynamic tension set and the Goun Gee Kuen set along with the snake turns over exercise. I am constantly amazed at the amount of strength that this have produced in me. Just the Chin chuan set done alone for a year will develop very powerful external strikes. (Punches through other strikes and blocks like butter.
The reccomendation by Green Dragon is that one spends time on the these two sets before doing the Stone Warrion. Has anyone followed thi reccommendation? What are the results like?

peace

sin loi

yi beng, kan xue

hkphooey
03-11-2002, 08:54 AM
i'm either not familair with those two sets, or their names? not sure which....

care to expound?

Leimeng
03-11-2002, 10:30 PM
The Teet Lohan Chin Chuan and Goun Gee Kuen are both available from Green Dragon in Ohio.
Both are dynamic tension sets.
The Teet Lohan set has two series of movements that are repeated a hundred to three hundred times or so. Most of the set is done at maximum isotonic tension. Takes about 5-8 minutes to do it once. I try to do 5 - 8 sets daily.
The Goun Gee Kuen is derived from hung gar stuff. It is basically a fighting form done slowly with tension. It takes about 5 minutes to do one set. I used to do that 5 times daily but no longer do that.
The Teet lohan set put about 7 lbs of muscle mass on my body after a year and the Goun Gee Kuen put about 8 lbs on in a one year time.
I reccomend either of those two. I know that Green Dragon reccomends about two or three years work on these two forms before going to stone warrior. I have not done the stone warrior so I cant say what my experiance is.

Peace,

sin loi

yi beng, kan xue

hkphooey
03-12-2002, 09:38 AM
thanks bro.

happy training.

WhtLotus
03-22-2002, 11:32 AM
does Green Dragon have a website?

I'm currently training at the school, but I generally don't take time out to ask about things like that. Because I'd really like to get Stone Warrior, but they just finished teaching it a few months before I got into the program, so I won't have the opportunity for a while. :(

IronFist
03-22-2002, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by WhtLotus
does Green Dragon have a website?

Nope.

I'm currently training at the school, but I generally don't take time out to ask about things like that. Because I'd really like to get Stone Warrior, but they just finished teaching it a few months before I got into the program, so I won't have the opportunity for a while. :(

So they only teach it every once in a while? That's weird. Hey, what's it like to study there? If they're not teaching Stone Warrior for a while maybe ask them about a program called Snake Turns Over, unless it's one of those schools where you're not allowed to ask questions.

I've heard stories about how hardcore they train there. So, what's it like? Is do you learn under Sifu Allen directly?

IronFist

Pilgrim
03-23-2002, 05:15 PM
This is a great exercise, especially if you progress as suggested: build up to 100 arm grabs, as you do no lick kuen,and the 5 animals. Get to teet lohan and goun gee kuen. I find I like the body exercise the best since it builds up the internal. White Lotus, has your sifu began or finished White Eyebrow Phoenix Eye Hand set?

Paul
03-23-2002, 08:16 PM
White Eyebrow Phoenix eye hand set? What exactly is this and what exactly is this Green Dragon place?

WhtLotus
03-27-2002, 04:50 PM
We get snake turns over as the first thing, after stances of course. I'm starting over on the hundred days' program though, because Sifu Allen showed me that I wasn't loosening my shoulder or turning on the waist enough.

Training at Green Dragon is tough, but in the beginner class it's really not that bad. Maybe a 4 hour workout twice a week at the school, and you make a lot of friends there. Personally, I've only learned some basics under Sifu Allen, since I came into the program while he was teaching a white lotus knife set to the others. His disciple teaches us who came into the program then, but he decides what we learn looking at our strengths and weaknesses. Right now, we've learned the no lick kuen form and are learning siu fu yin, as he finishes up the white lotus set.

Hope that answers your questions. Too bad they don't have a website. :(

Joe Mantis
04-03-2002, 09:40 PM
WhtLotus:

cool that you get to train w/ Sifu Allen.

Did you receive a training manual yet? As an extension family member I am not sure if that is available to us.

I did receive the 1000 reps program. True to his word, sifu Allen, it is hard work on the forms.

They keep saying that they will get a website going but not yet.

just want more feed back on what's it like.

thanks.

IronFist
10-04-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by WhtLotus
We get snake turns over as the first thing, after stances of course. I'm starting over on the hundred days' program though, because Sifu Allen showed me that I wasn't loosening my shoulder or turning on the waist enough.

I just read this thread again. What part of snake turns over invovles turning on the waist? I thought it was all stationary except for the arms.

IronFist

neptunesfall
10-04-2002, 11:52 AM
none that i know of. i've learned another set that's similar to it, with a similar name, but it's part of a larger set...dunno why it would be done seperately.

IronFist
10-04-2002, 04:15 PM
Right? I thought so. Snake Turns Over is motionless except for your arms.

You know, I've heard two different ways of doing it now. The difference in in the beginning when you first extend your arm. One person told me it goes all the way out, and another person said you only go until until your elbow is at your waist. So in the first way your entire arm would be parallel to the floor and fully extended, and the second way only your forearm would be parallel to the ground and your upper arm would be vertical. From there they both did it the same way tho.

Weird.

Hey neptunesfall, what are you working on now my Green Dragon friend?

IronFist

SanSoo Student
10-04-2002, 09:30 PM
Can you give me a phone number or address to contact green dragon for a catalog?
I would like to give the stone warrior program a try, I want to take my dynamic tension to the next level.

IronFist
10-05-2002, 04:00 PM
Look for their ad in Inside Kung Fu. It's usually a black and white ad somewhere in the middle of the magazine. I don't think they have a phone number, and it usually takes 1-2 months to get theri catalog from the time you order. If you want when I go home I'll look for mine and send it to you if I can find it. I have their 1998 catalog and their 2002 catalog and they're exactly the same except for the date on the front.

IronFist

neptunesfall
10-08-2002, 07:28 AM
been doing iron body, iron hand and muscle tendon change...talk about eating up some serious time!
been having some seriously nice results from iron body and muscle tendon though. more along the lines of functional strength, rather than being ripped etc.

YinYangDagger
03-24-2004, 11:17 PM
IMO, unless you have extra hours lying around in a day, I'd go for the 9 Power Development Exercises tape (Snake Turns Over is on this one) and the Iron Buddha Strength Set. Maybe later in years I'll try the Stone Warrior or the Iron Vest sets, I have them both also from Green Dragon, but I can't find the time to do them :mad:

IronFist
03-25-2004, 12:19 AM
^ Whoa, thread revival!!!

I'm done with Stone Warrior. I'll stick to weightlifting now :D

YinYangDagger
03-25-2004, 12:28 AM
nothing wrong with that :)

YinYangDagger
03-25-2004, 12:32 AM
Ironfist, what do you think about combining them? maybe not weight training and Stone Warrior (too much), but what about STO or Iron Buddha?

fa_jing
03-25-2004, 11:03 AM
According to Pavel, who may or may not be correct, but is pretty much the only easily accessible Western source for this kind of info -- dynamic tension exercises produce good results, but these improvements taper off significantly after the first month. You could do one month a year maybe. Try it and let us know. :D