PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Liu's kung fu

Wan Ma Kai
02-03-2001, 12:23 AM
Hello kung fu brothers and sisters. I just finished watching Master Killer with Gordon Liu for the 334,579th time. I love this movie!! Anyway, I was wondering what form he was doing in the opening credits of the movie? Also in Shaolin vs Wutang the fist style he used was called Ching Kan fist (sorry if i have the wrong spelling). It looks like Phenix Eye fist.Does anyone know what it is? Any info would be helpfull.

p.s. Anyone seen Kara Wei Ying Hung ( the girl from legendary weapons of kung fu) lately?

Je Lei Sifu
02-03-2001, 02:59 AM
In the begining of the Master Killer, the set that Lau Ga Fai is performing is the Iron Wire Set of Hung Ga style. He also performs the Monkey Stick set.

Peace.

Je Lei Sifu :cool:

The Southern Fist Subdues The Fierce Mountain Tiger

HuangKaiVun
02-03-2001, 03:03 PM
Je Lei Sifu, I thought Liu was performing the 5-Animals set from Hung Ga (opening credits) - but you are the HG sifu and I am not.

Later in the movie, when San Te has mastered the 10 basic forms and is going on learn how to fight with his hands, the monks are doing "Gung Gee Fook Fu Kuen" with a very skilled Yuen Tiao (sp?) as the master ("Sam Seed" from Jackie Chan's "Drunken Master").

The *****ang ("Diamond") Fist seems like a movie concotion of Hung Ga and Southern Mantis to me.

vingtsunstudent
02-03-2001, 05:50 PM
gordan liu's is liu chia liang, of pedicab driver, mad monkey kunu fu, drunk. master 2 & a load of old shaw bro. classics, fames brother(i think mabye adopted)
i have read that their father was trained by lam sai wing(sp?)
liu chia liang is the man, watch him move, he has awsome crace esp. for an old man in drunken master 2(as a side note it was later found out that he also had cancer at the time)
one of my faves. for watching him move is operation scorpio, man the way he moves through those low stances actually makes me wish that i all enjoy a northern art as well as my ving tsun.
vts

Quan
02-03-2001, 05:59 PM
i have also heard that gordon liu is a hung gar sifu in real life does anyone know his lineage ???

peace

Wan Ma Kai
02-03-2001, 09:40 PM
I was told that Gordon Liu's hung gar is from Lam Sai Wing. The Iron Wire Set he did in The Martial Club was very cool, but it didn't look like what he did in the opening credits of Master Killer. I am curious. Also Wei Ying Hung, whats her martial arts background?? She is my favorite female movie martial artist.

p.s. Has anyone besides me seen her Hong Kong Playboy pictures?? I think she did it in the late 80's?

South Paw
02-03-2001, 09:56 PM
Gordon Liu or Liu Chia Hui or in Cantonese Lau Kar Fei was adopted by the Lau family when he was 10 years of age. His real name is Xian Qixi.
He learned Hung Gar from his halfbrother Lau Kar Leung (Liu Chia Liang), born in Guangzhou (Canton) in 1934, who inherited his skills from his father Lau Chan (Liu Zhan). Lau Chan was a student from Lam Sai Wing.
Lau Chan already played in the old Wong Fei Hong films of Kwan Tak Hing the role of Lam Sai Wing.
His son Lau Kar Leung following in his footsteps as early as 1950. In 1963 Lau Gar Leung became a martial arts choreographer and later director of Kung Fu movies. Movies that portrayed real southern Kung Fu, especially Hung Gar.
Their brother Lau Kar Wing (Liu Chai Jung), born in Guangzhou 1944 was employed as martial arts instructor at Shaw Brothers in 1970 and made his debute as director in 1977.

South Paw

Quan
02-04-2001, 09:10 AM
thanks for the info south paw.
do you know if he is still involved in making movies or still alive for that matter it would be great to see some curent stuff
thanks again
peace

lungyuil
02-04-2001, 09:42 AM
I thought he practiced Lau Gar, not Hung gar.
One of the greatest performances of martial arts i have ever seen was the fight in "Legendary Weapons of Kung Fu".
He is a great performer & martial artist. :)

Also in Shaolin vs Wudang it was the pheonix fist he used. Another great movie.

NorthernMantis
02-04-2001, 09:38 PM
gordon liu (liu chia liang,liu chia hui) died in a car accident about about ten year's ago,if you want to see his most recncent films,he has a small part in jet li's the last hero.

"Always be ready"

South Paw
02-04-2001, 09:42 PM
Lau Chan, to my knowledge, only studied Hung Gar. He started at a fairly young age under the tutelage of Lam Sai Wing. He was one of the favourite students of Lam Sai Wing and portrayed him in several of the old Wong Fei Hong films.

Lau Gar Leung studied Hung Gar under his father, and also picked up various other styles, because his father knew many famous Kung Fu masters. So he also learned Choy Lee Fut, Lau Gar, Wing Tsun, Ti Tang, Eagle Claw, Praying Mantis, Mi Tsung I and Hop Gar. This is why he is such an excellent director and a good choreographer of fighting scenes.

South Paw

vingtsunstudent
02-05-2001, 09:03 AM
northtern mantis
i tought he was still alive.
gordan liu is not liu chia liang that is his brother, i also thought he was in drunken master 3
which i thought was less than ten years old, i may be wrong though.
sorry, i am actually sure i saw him on a kung fu film documentary just last year.
vts

suntui
02-05-2001, 09:29 AM
Film Stars Alex Fu Sheng & Unicorn Chi Lin (Bruce Lee's buddy) both died in car accidents. Gordon Lau on the other hand is still very much alive, I had the good fortune to meet him a few years ago in HK. As mentioned on an earlier post he is in fact the adopted brother of Lau Ga Leung (of a great many Shaw bros., Golden Harvest films, etc..). Lau Ga Leung on the other hand has been diagnosed with cancer & has been undergoing treatment for a couple of years.

Jimbo
02-08-2001, 12:50 AM
Regarding Wei Ying Hung, she appears in a video documentary called Deadly China Dolls. In the late '80s, after her days with Shaw Brothers, she was in a number of inferior films, like Inspector Wears Skirts, and others. Maybe one of her better post-Shaw films was Legend of the Drunken Tiger, filmed in Mainland China, though still not up to her earlier works.

Liu Chia-Liang (Lau Ka-Leung) also appeard in a 1989 film New Kids in Town with Moon Lee and Chin Siu-Ho. It may have been retitled in U.S. video release...I saw it in Taiwan. At the movie's end he fights Eddie Maher, a Eurasian Hong Kong kickboxer in a very well-staged fight scene.

Several years ago I read somewhere that Gordon Liu was attacked by several muggers in Hong Kong and although he was injured, he not only survived but had beaten his attackers. I don't know if it's true or not, though.

One Gordon Liu film I thought was terrible also starred Hsu Shao-Chiang...forgot the title. It was a late-'80s gangster movie, and they played kickboxers. Gordon Liu is a very good kung fu man but does not look good when made to play a kickboxer. I think his character got killed in the movie, though.
Jim