PDA

View Full Version : I just saw a video of Yip Chun doing SLT

IronFist
03-01-2002, 02:06 PM
I don't know very much about it, but the video I just saw of him is really different from the others I've seen (Augustine Fong, Wong Shum Leung). He almost looks choppy and blocky, like for instance in the beginning, after the tan sao part, in the par where you do a pak sao across your chest and then a palm strike out, in his palm strike he moves it really slowly and then after his arm is half way out he suddenly strikes, but only for like 1 inch, and the movement ends with a bent elbow. That is one example of how his is different from the others I've seen. I guess that's probably the right way, eh?

Crazy :) I don't really know veyr much about SLT anyway.

IronFist

Roy D. Anthony
03-01-2002, 02:14 PM
Is this the video where Ip Man is doing the forms as well?

The way Ip Chun does it in the video, more closely resembles the Mainland style of Wing Chun.

Peter Aarts
03-01-2002, 02:42 PM
Ofcourse he did it right! Thatīs the same way we train our Siu Num Tau.

reneritchie
03-01-2002, 02:49 PM
Hi Roy,

Anyone in particular from the mainland come to mind? The branch I practice looks quite different from Yip Man sifu (closest I've seen is Jack Ling from Leung Sheung). That's how the Gulao, Foshan Yip, and some others looked to me as well (relaxed, tightly positioned, elastic powerful, etc.)

Then, of course, there're the people who do it more like Karate and those that do it more like Tai Chi (and I won't even go into the ones who wear the Yellow "Game of Death" tracksuits ;)

Rgds,

RR

azwingchun
03-01-2002, 06:06 PM
Boy, that would be a sight to see.......LOL!;)

Roy D. Anthony
03-02-2002, 12:50 AM
Hi Rene, the lineages I witnessed were of mainland version during the Wing Chun conference 1999, there were 4 lineages represented. I one of them was Ip Man- Lun Kai's lineage. the other 2 seemed very similar. The one that looked most different was the Pan Nam version...Hope this helps.:)

IronFist
03-02-2002, 01:38 AM
So, since I'm trying to learn WC on my own cuz there's no sifus, who's SLT should I try to make mine look like?

IronFist

vingtsunstudent
03-02-2002, 04:12 AM
iron
the problem you face will be bad habits you form in minor detail that can't be corrected without a good teacher.
but if i were you i would get as many books & videos as possible & try & find the common ground. read & re-read, watch & re-watch, all the time looking for the most minute of details.
everybody will recomend different teachers to look to as we are all different lineages, but if it were me i would definitely take a look at wong shun leung's-science of in-fighting vid(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/104-2835743-8955930) & david peterson's book(http://www.geocities.com/omidshayan/opening.html), together i think they would give you a fairly descent overview of what wong's lineage looks like.
vts

reneritchie
03-02-2002, 05:29 AM
Roy - That does help, thanks. I can see what you're saying about Lun Kai. I think one factor may be both he and Yip Chun are both quite old and, at least in Lun sifu's case (as was Yiu sifu's case too before he passed away), not quite as "strict" in performance as he used to be (sinking, clamping, etc.) Before, his system also reminded me more of Leung Sheung. In a way it was sad to see the Foshan demo, as many of the systems seemed to have been blended up, or given into to a brute force approach, or gone in different ways.

AZ - What was sadder was seeing the military promoting TKD and seeing it sweep the area, then hearing some of the WCK people wonder if they should go for the uniforms and belts and commercialize to compete...

Rgds,

RR

azwingchun
03-02-2002, 11:01 AM
That is pretty sad, what is the world of martial arts coming to today? LOL.;)

IronFist
03-02-2002, 02:29 PM
vingtsunstudent, I have the WSL video from amazon.com I think that's the best WC video I've ever seen... for the most part, much better than the Panther ones combined.

IronFist

tri2bmt
03-03-2002, 08:31 PM
Is there somewhere on the net Ican see this video of Ip man?

Roy D. Anthony
03-03-2002, 11:59 PM
The video I believe can be found by looking up Samuel Kwok website...not sure of addy....but the video is called Original Wing Chun. Hope this helps.

stuartm
03-04-2002, 02:04 AM
The video you are talking about is called traditional Wing Chun, and alongside the Wong video its one of the best you are likely to see. It contains all three forms close up and from different views, all the major drills, chi sau, sparring, MYJ and weapons.

If anybody wants more info please go to www.kwokwingchun.demon.co.uk

Best Wishes, Stuart

Ish
03-04-2002, 05:16 AM
Does anyonbe know if you can get an english version of that video.

stuartm
03-04-2002, 05:27 AM
Hi Ish,

Its only available in german at the moment, but it is still we worth having. I know i am biased because I teach for Sifu Kwok, but trust me - its a cracker !

Regards, Stuart

dre_doggX
03-04-2002, 11:33 AM
Sil lum tao can probably be down in many ways for different purposes