PDA

View Full Version : Footwork in forms

lungyuil
02-03-2001, 03:34 AM
An old sifu of mine once told me that when practicing a form in a confined area, you may not be able to always go forward so you go backwards.

What i mean is that in the form, if the next move is a full step front stance(Gong Ma)and due to no room left to go forward you go full step backwards doing the same hand techniques and stances.

He used to say that was so you learn to adapt them to different situations and confined areas. Rather than stopping, taking a few steps backwards then starting again you just continue adapting to the situation without changing the form (same stance,just rather than moving forward you go backward)

Any of you had the same information told :)

NineStep
02-03-2001, 04:01 AM
Funny as it sounds, I've heard the same thing (just don't remember from where...lol) Sounds interesting, I just wouldn't make a habbit of doing my forms this way all the time. But on occasion when you're confined for space I think it sounds like a good idea. That way you don't keep stopping and stepping back and starting again, etc. Sounds like it would help keep the flow of the form going.
Anyway just my 2 cents. I'd be curious to hear what some of the others would have to say about this.
Interesting thread man.

NineStep
Pak Mei Kung-Fu

lungyuil
02-03-2001, 04:13 AM
Thanks for the reply.
My sifu FT says not to always do it either. I did it once and he said it wasn't a good idea.
Just curious to hear others opinions and as to why it is good or bad. :)

fiercest tiger
02-03-2001, 04:23 AM
when your level of kung fu is good all movements can be done in any stance when fighting. you shouldnt have to think or its to late. it has to be natural, in confined spaces front to cat and pivots, locking, trapping are used. dont have to go back to and change stance. :D

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

lungyuil
02-03-2001, 04:29 AM
Came to office late , so missed out. Next time. :( . The women are always late. Know what i mean.

HuangKaiVun
02-03-2001, 03:06 PM
I live in an enclosed apartment, and I don't have much room.

Nevertheless, I've been able to practice Northern Shaolin quite readily.

I often do my sets staying in the same position due to the lack of space.

I'll backpedal, reshuffle, jump in place, and do whatever it takes to maintain my technique and furniture.

I even do spear and staff in my apartment, though admittedly my living room is the size of most studio apartments.

BIU JI
02-03-2001, 03:44 PM
Bin go hoijo yam cha aaa

Kevin73
02-04-2001, 03:05 AM
I think that it's important to do both. I think that when someone is doing forms that have multiple attackers on them we think we have alot more room that what we would have. Sometimes, it good to "practice it in a phonebooth" as my master used to say.

It will give a new perspective on how even stance changes are weapons. We did an exercise once were I was surrounded by 10 people. Skin on skin, they weren't actively attacking just pushing up so you could see how important setting the stance was and how the stance changes will give you a little bit of space to work around with even though you haven't "moved".

"There are many who talk of the Way, but few who walk the Way."

lungyuil
02-04-2001, 09:36 AM
I agree. It seems pointless if you can't practice a technique in the form using different footwork. It just means you know your stuff.
When applying some techniques you find that due to the situation you have to change your angle of attack or footwork.
practicing your forms while adapting to the confines of the area helps you to understand the body, movements in the forms etc. :)