If so please share your recipes.

Badger

ewallace
03-01-2002, 02:35 PM
That's pretty sick brother.

Sharky
03-01-2002, 02:35 PM
Good call

I ain't into no raw eggs though. That rules out pretty much everything. ****.

Badger
03-01-2002, 02:42 PM
Years ago I used to do the raw egg thing...until I found out they are bad for you. Any other ideas?

Badger

JWTAYLOR
03-01-2002, 03:44 PM
You mean like when I jump up and down before bed?

JWT

yenhoi
03-01-2002, 03:59 PM
Every Morning, after my run:

1 scoop penut butter.
1 cup cheerios (honey nut).
2 egg whites from carton (I dont care what they say)
1 spoon whey
Milk! Skim milk! Water! Or Juice! (Doesnt matter unless you care about taste)
Sometimes some yogurt.
Use blender.

Right now Im gaining weight, so this is just the start of my day.

JWTAYLOR
03-01-2002, 04:26 PM
Ok, I'll play for real.

http://www.proteinfactory.com

Your one stop protein shop.

JWT

Tainan Mantis
03-02-2002, 07:55 AM
1T brewers yeast
2T freshly ground flax seeds
1T blackstrap molasses
2T skim milk powder
2T expensive protien powder (eg Twin Lab)

optional extras:
-pumpkin seed oil or flax seed oil
-wheat germ powder
-instant coffee
-ovaltine

Eaten after practice before main meal.

JasBourne
03-02-2002, 08:24 AM
In the morning:

1 scoop whey protein
1 scoop soy protein
1 TB wheat germ
1 TB lecithin
1 TB bran
1 TB green stuff (chlorophyl)
1 TB all-in-one vitamin/mineral powder

Milk or juice, blend, slam back. I hate breakfast, this is the only way I get any nutrition in the a.m. :D

David Jamieson
03-02-2002, 09:20 AM
wow, nobody used liver???

ok, here's one.

1/4 lb calf liver
4 cups water
two tbsp's of pure cocoa
one table spoon of brown sugar
one teaspoon of brewers yeast
one banana

It'll fill you up too!
It's a bit of an acquired taste, but hey, we're talkin protein shakes here. :)

peace

rogue
03-02-2002, 05:23 PM
My version of The Steve Reeves Power Drink from Building the Classic Physique the Natural Way by Steve Reeves (with Little and Wolff). And it tastes really good too!

14 ounces of orange juice
1 tablespoon of knox gelatine
1 tablespoon of honey
1 banana
half a small carton of eggbeaters
2 tablespoons of protien powder.

respectmankind
03-03-2002, 02:44 AM
Isn't it just simplar to buy the powder stuff. ****, just get a good brand.

Ford Prefect
03-04-2002, 08:11 AM
1 - Cup Raw Quaker Oats 2 - Cups Milk 1 - Very ripe bananna 1 - Raw egg* Blend in blender until smooth. Drink with straw. *Raw egg optional.

& this article...

THE ATHLETE'S KITCHEN
PROTEIN SHAKES: Do they add power to your sports diet?
Copyright: Nancy Clark, MS, RD 4/2000

"Which brand of protein shake is best to gain weight?"
"How many protein shakes should I drink in a day?"
"Is designer protein better than, let's say, chicken...???"

Active people have lots of questions about protein, protein shakes, and their role in an exercise program. Do these engineered foods provide superior sports nutrition? By looking around the health food store, the abundance of protein shakes suggests they are a popular item. They are promoted as a simple way to eat well without cooking. Ads also suggest these "designer foods" are better than, let's say, chicken and tuna.
If you are wondering about the role of protein shakes in your sports diet, keep reading. The following information can help you evaluate the best ways to optimize your protein intake--as well as spend your food budget wisely.

Question: "I want to bulk up and gain weight. I've started drinking three protein shakes per day as between meal snacks. (This is what the manufacturer recommends.) Is this enough or too much?
Answer: To determine how many protein shakes you need, you first should determine how much protein your body actually can use. While adequate protein is important to enhance muscle growth, more may not be better. Excess protein will not convert Joe Wimp into Mr. Muscle. To bulk up, you need extra calories, adequate protein, and hard training--plus good genetics.
Most exercise scientists agree 1 gram of protein/pound of body weight is a very generous protein allowance for athletes building muscle mass. (More likely, 0.5 to 0.75 gms protein/ pound will do the job just fine, but let's be generous.) This means a novice 180 pound body builder gets more than enough protein with 180 grams of protein/day. He can easily consume that much in one quart of skim milk, two cans of tuna, and 8 ounces (two small breasts) of chicken. Because you can get more than enough protein from your diet, you have no need to consume shakes on top of this. You simply need more wholesome calories-easily consumed by drinking extra juice and lowfat milk.

Question: Is the protein in designer shakes more effective than the egg whites, tuna, and chicken I eat with my meals?"
Answer: With names like Lean Mass, N-large, Pure Protein, Lean Protein, and Protein Revolution, the scientifically engineered products can leave you wondering if mundane chicken, tuna, and eggs are an equal match. Plus, ads that rave "extremely bioavailable whey protein isolate", "no cheap protein blends" and "highest quality protein" also leave the impression that tuna doesn't quite make the grade. Doubtful.
The protein from natural foods works perfectly fine, despite having no labels that claim "premium protein," "hydrolyzed protein," or "ion-exchanged whey." Any animal protein is "high quality" and contains all the essential amino acids you need to build muscles. Eating balanced meals and then drinking protein shakes for "high quality protein" is an outrageous concept--and expensive. Don't bother! For the $26 you spend on a box with 12 MetRx packets, you can buy lots of dried milk powder--the least expensive protein power around. And you'll get not only high quality protein, but also a whole package of balanced nutrition--perfectly designed by Nature.

Question: I get confused when I read the ads in muscle magazines. They are filled with terms like "protein digestibility" and "bioavailability." Does this make them better?
Answer: In an overall well balanced diet, engineered protein offers no advantages over standard protein-rich foods. As long as you are healthy and have a functioning digestive tract (as opposed to patients in the hospital with intestinal disease), you need not worry about your ability to digest or utilize protein. Digestibility and bioavailability are an issue in third-world countries where protein and calorie intakes are inadequate and every amino acid counts--but not in America where protein and calorie excesses are more common than deficiencies. (Adequate calories are needed to spare protein from being burned for fuel.)

Question: I'm lazy and have started to drink a protein shake for breakfast instead of eat cereal. Is that OK?
Answer: As an athlete, your body needs a foundation of carbohydrates at each meal to fuel your muscles. Some protein is important to build, protect, and maintain muscles, but too much protein displaces carbs. That is, by having a protein shake instead of cereal, you may consume only 20 to 30 grams of carbs as compared to 100+ grams with your cereal, milk and banana. Athletes should target 3 to 5 grams of carbohydrate per pound of body weight. That's at least 450 grams for the 150 pound athlete. Protein shakes fail to help you reach your carb quota--and can leave you feeling easily fatigued.
Cereals also offer more fiber and other health-protective nutrients than do engineered foods. Hence, I recommend you be responsible instead of lazy. You have taken on the responsibility to train; you can also take on the responsibility to eat whole foods that fuel well. No engineered food can match the complex balance of nutrients designed by Nature. Sure you can save the protein shake for "emergency food" on hectic days, but keep the cereal as part of your standard daily diet.

Question: I eat very little protein at the college dining hall. I think I should supplement my diet with protein powder, but I don't have much money to spend on protein shakes. How can I make my own?
Answer: Packaged protein shakes are indeed expensive. You can either spend $2.30 for a packet of MetRx ($0.06/gram of protein) or you easily make your own version for less than $0.03/gm protein. Here's my favorite: In a blender, mix 1 cup milk, 1/3 cup milk powder, 2 tablespoons instant pudding mix (any flavor; this thickens the shake to a pleasant consistency) and 4 ice cubes. Blend for a minute ot two, until the ice is gone. Optional: add banana, berries, and/or sweetener as desired. This shake offers 16 grams of protein. Also eat some canned tuna and cottage cheese, and you've succeeded at boosting your protein easily--without cooking and within a reasonable budget.

Nancy Clark, MS, RD is nutrition counselor at Boston-area's SportsMedicine Brookline. She is author of the best selling Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook, Second Edition, available by sending $20 to Sports Nutrition Services, 830 Boylston St., Brookline MA 02467 or via http://www.nancyclarkrd.com/.

Sharky
03-04-2002, 10:14 AM
There is no way i can eat any more tuna. I was nearly sick just now. I've done that to death. Cottage cheese. Hmm, good idea. It tastes quite bad as well but f.ck it. I will get some powdered milk soon.

I don't have a blender though. Sigh. Ok i will just buy cans of "nourishment" from teh local newsagent - that was 22g of protein per can. It just tastes like pure sugar though.

Sharky
03-04-2002, 10:16 AM
And they are like £1 per can!

TaoBoy
03-05-2002, 04:13 PM
FYI - there is some new research showing that supplements are potentially harmful. It has also been uncovered that whey isolate is carcinogenic (you aren't allowed to dump this stuff at a landfill). So, ask yourselves 'do I want to ingest this stuff?'.

Humans should be able to get all the nutrients they require from a high quality, balanced diet. Protein supplements cost more than they are worth. High protein diets can cause more trouble than benefit.

If you want to increase your protein intake - do some research and thenuse naturally occuring protein sources like tuna and liver.

If you are interested check out "Fit For Life" by Harvey Diamond. It's a no-BS guide to eating properly.

We all know that as martial artists a health diet and lifestyle is paramount.

Here's to your health!

Arhat of Fury
03-05-2002, 05:23 PM
Oh yes I am very familiar with these.. This is how I make them..

First you sit on your hand for 15 minutes- wait until it gets good and numb

(oh ****it wrong site):rolleyes:

Silumkid
03-06-2002, 01:05 PM
TaoBoy,

Please point us to where this research exists. I'd like to see it, especially considering the fact that whey exists in milk and cottage cheese and....

If whey is so toxic, we all need to stop eating and drinking dairy...unless of course, it's some sort of claim that the whey "becomes" toxic during the cold-filtering process, in which case, I'd still like to see the research and see how they came up with it.

Thanks.

TaoBoy
03-06-2002, 07:12 PM
Silumkid,

Fair point.

I have actually been looking for the evidence myself.
It was something that was told to me by a chiro. An interesting
view point thought I. So, I've shared it. My thinking - if it's as toxic as he has mentioned, how can companies legally produce it?
Anyway, I don't have the evidence - so for that I apologise.

Regarding dairy - I believe we should be avoiding it anyway. Name another animal that drinks the milk from a different species.
I - for one - have never seen a cat suckling a pig.

And my original point: we can get all the nutrients we need from a healthy, balanced diet...and it's often cheaper.

Each to their own!

DelicateSound
03-07-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by TaoBoy
I - for one - have never seen a cat suckling a pig.

:D B e a u t i f u l !

Actually, the chemical make up of different milks ain't that different, so I'm pretty sure I can drink cows milk! Either that or you know some very compliant women!

I think the problem with protein shakes is their make-up and the manner in which they are delivered into the system - read the back and there's a lot of sh!t in that MaxiMuscle (TM)

Silumkid
03-07-2002, 04:31 PM
TaoBoy,

Fair enough. If you happen to come across it, please let me know.

Cheers!

Cyborg
03-08-2002, 09:49 PM
Actually animals don't drink others milk because they can't not because they don't want to. Just because an animal does or doesn't do it ain't a good argument. Although I do agree with your opinion that we should generally avoid dairy. Why? Because people lose the ability to digest it at about age 2. (I'm sorry I don't have the research handy... it is out there if you'll look, 'til then you can take my word for it :D ) This is why milk is good for the acid stomach ache. It simply coats everything.

Now where was I? Ah yes, shakes. 1 banana, some orange juice, yogurt, cottage cheese, an egg if I feel like it and some ice cubes. I'll have to try the peanut butter though!

Silumkid
03-09-2002, 11:27 PM
Time to retract the animal argument everybody....

I swear I am not making this up and I wasn't even looking for it, but I swear to you on Animal Planet tonight, there was a doc. on about baby tigers and they were being suckled by a sow! No friggin' joke!

bearpaw
03-10-2002, 01:56 AM
Tofu, bannanna, strewberries, skim milk ... blended use firm tofu for thick ones or soft tofu for less thick ... extras: Cininnom, sugar or substatute, vianilla extract ...