PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Or Desired Art

ewallace
03-01-2002, 02:58 PM
If any art was available to you, NOT including the one you are CURRENTLY in, what would be the one you would want to train in the most?

ewallace
03-01-2002, 02:59 PM
For me it would be 7 star PM.

Water Dragon
03-01-2002, 03:04 PM
Southern Mantis

shaolinboxer
03-01-2002, 03:11 PM
I'm thinkin BaGua.

yenhoi
03-01-2002, 03:14 PM
Bagua, or monkey style.

Colin
03-01-2002, 03:16 PM
Not including the two that I practice, i'd have to say Piguazhang or Bajiquan.

But really we all want to learn chung moo doe.
:D :D :D

Tinman
03-01-2002, 03:16 PM
Shorin Ryu Karate

Leonidas
03-01-2002, 03:34 PM
For me it's:

Niten Ichi Ryu(sp?)- the double sword style of Musashi.

Shindo Muso Ryu Jojutsu/do- created by Muso Gonnosuke, the man who supposedly beat Musashi with a stick no less.

ROSS or Systema- seems real interesting.

Catchwrestling- an alternative to BJJ (brazilian wrestling) and maybe even Chin Na from what i've heard about it. Seems like it's about to become extinct, except for maybe in Japan with everyone practicing the "superior" submission art

Shuri and Naha Te- Okinawan Karate unchanged and not *******ized. It probably doesn't exist today though so it's wishful thinking.

Zi Ran Men- the natural kungfu style with no forms ang qinggong training.

Old Englishe Boxing- before the Modern Rules, the way it was practiced at around 1700's. Wrestling moves and all.

Koga Ryu Ninjutsu- The only "officially" proven Ninjutsu art with historical documents, but the man died with his last students so thats not happening.

Pukulan Silat- I dont know enough about it, but i would study any style. Seems so freakin' cool

Bak Sil Lum- Northern Shaolin. Nuff said.

Daito AikiJujutsu- I had my doubts about these Aiki arts, but this seems like a winner.

and finally since i can't think of anymore
Bai He Quan- White Crane style. My favorite style of Kung Fu hands down. No need to explain anything about it.

I know theres a few more, but i'll remember them later............

Water Dragon
03-01-2002, 03:40 PM
Shuri Te exists

Crimson Phoenix
03-01-2002, 03:41 PM
First of all, I thought it was a very good question...then I realized that indeed I can have access to all the styles I felt attracted the most to: Fujian White Crane, Baguazhang...I'm attracted to Xingyi and Wudang sword, and could work them both with my bagua teacher (I'm already working a lil' xingyi because it's xingyi baguazhang)...I was quite puzzled...but after pondering it, I recalled the two styles that I am very curious about/attracted to and that are not available to me now:
wuzuquan (aka ngor chor kuen), and piguaquan (Colin's post helped my memory...not baji though...dunno, don't ask me why)...just pigua...

Nexus
03-01-2002, 03:42 PM
Sex... Errr, wrong forum? :-D

JWTAYLOR
03-01-2002, 03:53 PM
White eyebrow.
Hung Gar
JWT

Leonidas
03-01-2002, 04:04 PM
Oh yea i almost forgot

Savate- French "Kungfu"

Sil Lam Bam- Indian Cudgel Fighting

Kusarigama-jutsu- Think Kama with Meteor hammer attached

Shuriken-jutsu- Art of knife throwing. What can be better than throwing knives :D

Krabi Krabong?- I wanna see what it is. The predecessor to Muay Thai couldn't be that bad.

Englishe Quarterstaff fighting- No explaination needed.

and so i dont seem like a total MA fanboy which is too late now

Gatka- How the f*ck could i forget Gatka. Indian Sword Fighting used by a group called the Sikh. Heres a police account of how effective it is in rough terms.
Old man riding his scooter during an Indian uprising. Hundreds of Rioters surround him cursing and threatening. He pulls out his sword and in a matter of a few seconds, dozen are dead and even more wounded. Can't get cooler than that

Sho
03-01-2002, 04:35 PM
Brazilian Jujutsu - Very handy in ground situations and takedowns. Great companion with kung fu and karate.

Iaido - Because I'm Japanese and it's part of my culture.

Contemporary Wushu - Yes, you heard right. Well, I personally like to do forms very much so this one truly interests me.

Great Solar Stance - Because I'm a Lei Lin Kit fan. Nah, I don't think there's such thing. :)

neito
03-01-2002, 05:29 PM
xingyi quan
any non-american kempo style
taijutsu

Merryprankster
03-01-2002, 05:33 PM
San Shou

Shuai Chiao

I can find the rest here. I just don't have time.

SevenStar
03-01-2002, 05:48 PM
I like the styles I'm in, but If I had to pick, I'd say

hsing-i
southern mantis

Xebsball
03-01-2002, 07:48 PM
Man, i got a fettish for Xing Yi Quan.
(I hope Felipe didnt hear this, cos he is a latin lover)

Yi Quan would be cool too.

guohuen
03-01-2002, 07:58 PM
White Crane.

Felipe Bido
03-01-2002, 08:12 PM
LOL @ Xebsball :D

Xing Yi Quan IS sexy, isn't it?

I'd definitely pick Shuai Chiao

PHILBERT
03-01-2002, 08:17 PM
For looks:

Capoeira
Wushu
----
Tai Chi
Pakua
Hsing-I
Southern Mantis
Choy Lay Fut
Hung Gar
BJJ
JuJutsu before 1882

jon
03-01-2002, 08:18 PM
Eight Drunken Immortals - Full real deal version not the wushu or single form rubbish the WHOLE SYSTEM.

Xing Yi

Southern Mantis - Jook Lum variant.

Maybe one day ill get around to training properly in these systems but ive got my hands full of Bagua and Hung already:( Then comes Tai Chi training.

Im set for as far as i can see into the future as it is but there is still sooooooooo much i want to learn.

I would also like to get basic skills in...
Wing Chun
Eagle Claw
Northern Mantis
and just to be different
BJJ

Chinwoo-er
03-01-2002, 09:20 PM
What is everything is availiable for me.
It is just that I don't have time to learn them all ?

Prairie
03-02-2002, 12:13 AM
Two styles I would love to study if there was a teacher available:

Xingyi quan
Japanese Jiujutsu

I'd really like to practice jiujutsu as a compliment to taiji.

Ciao

CrushingFist
03-02-2002, 12:52 AM
is there anyone left in the world that KNOWS the whole system of 8 immortals drunken boxing? I would be suprised if they REALLY know it...or if it's just 20% of what their sifu was able to do.

Im just wondering because i myself don't know if there's anyone left who knows it, do you?

Leonidas
03-02-2002, 12:56 AM
I thought that was a myth........

That'll be cool to learn too.

So many arts, so little time. :(

jon
03-02-2002, 01:13 AM
I would doubt highly if there is anyone left teaching the full system. To the best of my knowledge it was only taught to those with an excerlent base level in kung fu, hence not many got to see it at all and those who did proberly died with the knowledge rather than pass all of it on.

Its a shame really becouse everything ive ever come accross from true drunkard boxing has been truely excerlent.

Asia
03-02-2002, 03:41 AM
Since I am already doing MY fettish style and I have tried many of the ones out there I would have to say.

Xingyi
"Koga" ryu ninjutsu
-But like it was mentioned before KOGA is DEAD small fractions remain (mainly throught books and scrolls) but a 'living' complete system does NOT exist anymore.

Other Indian Arts (I've studied the katar. kaliyaparit, and marma adi.)

African Arts - I have seen some african wrestling. I saw a documentry on TV about a stick fighting discipline that looked viscious.

Canary Island stickficking -They used their sticks for more than just fighting I saw instruction for 'pole vaulting' form rock to rock. That was cool!

Yung Apprentice
03-02-2002, 06:42 AM
Hsing-Yi (which I do have access to and will train there)
Southern Mantis
Northern Mantis ( 7 star or 8 step )
Eagle Claw
San Shou
White Crane

Brad
03-02-2002, 11:42 AM
Liu He Ba Fa!!!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Tai Sheng Pek Kwar's Monkey style
WWF style wresling :D
Secret Door Praying Mantis. Don't know what it looks like, but the name's cool ;)
Though I'm not really sure what all's available to me from my own teacher. He knows alot.

NorthernMantis
03-02-2002, 12:07 PM
Xing Yi
Chen style tai chi
and anyother style of northern mantis

rubthebuddha
03-02-2002, 01:08 PM
continue with my WT, and toss in some escrima and SPM or NPM for good measure.

Justa Man
03-02-2002, 01:21 PM
liu he ba fa or yi quan

koycymru
03-02-2002, 01:27 PM
taekkyon

S.Teebas
03-02-2002, 01:37 PM
Boxing
BJJ
White Eyebrow
Xing Yi