PDA

View Full Version : should I go to shaolin academy?

Jade Dragon
03-01-2002, 03:34 PM
Hello,

I have been presented the chance to go and study shaolin kung fu when i'm 18 and have finised college. For me this would be a big step seeing as I would be staying in china for 1 year. Kung fu is my life at I feel it would give me a better chance if I ever wanted to start my own club. So just woundering if you would have any comments on this subject, and if anyone has done something like this and could tell me what it was like?

thanx very much.

Brad
03-02-2002, 10:55 AM
I've been thinking about doing this to(not nessesarily Shaolin though). I've been to China once before and had a blast! It's a great cultural experience, especially for young people. My only recomendation is to learn as much Mandarin as you can, and research different training options.

GeneChing
03-04-2002, 11:33 AM
My biggest regret in college was that I didn't take advantage of exchange student programs. So much cheaper. Think about that before your graduate.

Tiger on Duty
03-09-2002, 12:17 AM
My sifu has trained at the temple and has stated to us students many times that just because it is shaolin doesnt mean u cant get a better shaolin master from outside the temple, i have heard many students dont even last a few weeks as the training is gruelling in the extreme, physically and mentally. They also do not tailor the kung fu to your individual needs as your size, build ,skill dictate(they are more interested in the money). How ever this is only secound hand and you can always find out for yourself, but i suggest u do some research into what u actually want to gain from the experience and what u actually want to learn, talking to the u.s.a wushu council would help i'm sure in letting u know what u would be gettin into and what other options for tradtional kung fu exist in china and weither one of these other options is what u could be lookin for.
HGAHAHAHAH after all that i would still be really tempted myself to go lol.