PDA

View Full Version : key lun ma stance

RAIN
03-01-2002, 04:06 PM
the cross stance are called :

nau ma ( static )
quai ma ( advance )
tau ma ( retreating )

kei lun ma is another name . for what is used in this stance ?
is a correct name for the cross stance ?

premier
03-01-2002, 04:34 PM
I think kei lun ma refers to the static cross legged stance. Those other three you mentioned are all kind of steps. When you do nau ma, you twist 180 degrees to cross legged stance. Gweii ma and tau ma can be used to advance or retreat. Wether it's gweii ma or tau ma depends on which leg steps to the cross legged stance.

premier

mysteri
03-02-2002, 12:17 AM
"ma" means 'horse.' "bo" means 'to step.' "ma bo"refers
'footwork' and is implied when talkin about stances. so "kei lun" means what the chinese would call a "unicorn" because (1) it is said that a unicorn had to bend its knee in order to bow or (2) it refers to the twisted horn.(two reasons i've heard before). in the jow ga system, we use "kei lun ma" interchangably to represent the structure of the stance itself, whether static, advancing, or retreating. this is jus all to my knowledge of course. my 2 cents. good luck!

CLFNole
03-02-2002, 09:46 AM
The kei lun ma stance uses cross over steps in combination. Example right foot steps across left and then left steps across right. It is seen in numerous CLF forms as well as in other styles like hung gar.

Lau ma is a twist stance without any stepping involved. If you were in a dew ma (cat stance) and twisted into a twist stance it would be called lau ma.

An advancing twist stance we refer to as buy ma.

Retreating we call kow ma.

Peace.

Sho
03-02-2002, 11:18 AM
Nau Ma and Lau Ma, same thing. Often people pronounce N as L.

David
03-03-2002, 02:48 AM
We use kay lun unicorn style in advance and backwards (I'm not allowed to say retreat) eg from right stance, right crosses left and left comes forward into left stance.
The crossing leg can be striking. At speed this can become a leaping kick.

kei lun
03-04-2002, 07:15 AM
Kei Lun Ma is a cross step into a twisted stance. It is an old term used in a lot of different styles, however it is not used to often anymore.

Kei Lun is commonly referred to as gunicorn stanceh but actually keilun is a mythical animal in Chinese mythology, similar to a Griffin. In Japanese it is called Kirin, as in Kirin beer, and you can see a picture of it on the beer can.

Kei Lun