PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Choy Lu Fut & Hung har

tenchi
02-04-2001, 10:35 PM
I was just curious at any similarities and differences between the 2 distinct styles?

illusionfist
02-04-2001, 11:00 PM
One is the father and the other is the son.

Peace :D

gordonliu
03-01-2001, 08:24 AM
To my knowledge, CLF is actually a combination of
northern and southern styles. It uses the relaxed
circular long arm movements of the North, combined
with the power and low stances typical of Southern
Chinese kung fu. What's more, CLF is famous for
it's use of the waist-hip rotation action for much of its power. With that, loose, supple shoulders release the fists at the ends of the flexible arms....much like the action of the ancient Chinese weapon called the rope dart.
Hung Gar is known for its wide stances and power-
ful hand techniques. It is really ideal for devel-
oping strength in the arms and legs. One doesn't move around as much as one does in some of the other systems, but the solid stances and also the waist action allow for much of the power. Hung Gar
is famous for the Tiger-Crane technique.
In any event, both styles are effective and offer lots of fulfillment. CLF, however, may be a little more fun to watch.
Hope this was somewhat helpful.

chikung
03-02-2001, 03:04 AM
Both styles have the same roots.
I think that in Choy Lee Fut made most of their forms based on the applications of the fundamental ones. Also they teach in the Primary level more sweeping techniques.
I Hung Kuen kept the fundamental forms and teach the hundred applications in a seperate training phase.

WinnipegDragon
03-05-2001, 10:47 PM
Gordonliu seems to have the basics on CLF down pretty well. One thing he neglected to mention is that the combination of northern and southern techniques (although it is considered a southern style), provides for fast, evasive footwork, and a very flexible array of kicks.

If there is anything specific you wanted to know, I'd be glad to try and answer you. I can't say I know much about Hung Gar, however.

I said to her, "For you who are so old but forever young I have many questions."

She said to me, "And I have but one answer - you must be a silhouette of the dragon against the moon."

WongFeHung
03-06-2001, 12:22 AM
if you extract the leopard techniques,(chop choy, spinning, active footwork,kwa, sow, jong) and the element punches, and the butterfly palms fro Hung Ga, you will have an idea of what Choy Li Fut looks like. That isn't to say that that is all they have. They also have five animals, as well as ten animals, and Buddah Palms, but as far as signature movements and flavor. Although I teach Hung-Ga, I have studied Bak Sing CLF, and am by no means an authority on this style. Just my opinion and observations.

illusionfist
03-06-2001, 12:35 AM
Based from what i have seen, i would have to say that CLF has definitely brought the use of the leopard/ panther fist to a whole other level, far more than Hung Gar i would say.