PDA

View Full Version : Tension

S.Teebas
03-02-2002, 07:43 PM
We always hear our sifu telling us to relax... but what is the cause of tension?

vingtsunstudent
03-02-2002, 07:57 PM
life & KFO
without these your gung fu would be great.
vts

Matrix
03-02-2002, 08:16 PM
I would say that tension is caused by the students lack of faith in the structure and the system. When presented with a stressful situation, the untrained response is to tense up. To meet strength with strength. It's natural to want to use muscular power to deliver the technique, and the beginner's mind understands the concept of power in terms of muscular force which results in tension.

If you are skilled in WC and understand that tension in fact robs you of your speed and power, you have learned to rely on the structure of the hands and the principles of the system.

You must relax and trust in your gung fu.

Matrix

S.Teebas
03-03-2002, 12:32 PM
I would say that tension is caused by the students lack of faith in the structure and the system.

Good point Matrix! What i was thinking is that really the only person that can cause tension in your body is you! I mean, the opponent can hurt you..yes. But he cant make you be tence. He can beat you to a pulp...but he cant make you be tence. Therefore i think that we are the only ones who cause tension.

I was thinking this in relation to chi sau. Because sometimes when meeting bridges, ive noticed that i can tence up even though there is really no reason too.

sunkuen
03-03-2002, 12:37 PM
I think most people tense up when the bridge is out!!!;)

Matrix
03-03-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by S.Teebas
I was thinking this in relation to chi sau. Because sometimes when meeting bridges, ive noticed that i can tence up even though there is really no reason too. Makes sense. You are tensing up because you do not want your training partner to run through hands. Believe me, I'm working on this one myself. Always trying to get softer, more relaxed.

When you are tense you lose your sensitivity, speed and power and thus the exercise is not nearly as beneficial as it could be. What helped me is understanding that the goal of the drill is to develop and refine sensitivity. Just relax and learn to feel the bridge. This is not a contest. You have to let go of the idea of trying to "win", and then in the long term you will. ;)

Matrix

old jong
03-04-2002, 02:04 PM
Tension is caused by "wanting too much"...You want to hit the guy, you think about your repertoire of ...traps! :rolleyes: and you forget to stick. now, you have a delay in your perception to changes in the other guy structure and attacks attemps. You have to adjust in a rush and the old habit of fighting force is back. ;)

Matrix
03-04-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by sui-fuw
you all talk of "relaxness",yet you can't get more relaxed than when your dead hahaha,and your body is as stiff as a door,hahahaRelaxed yes, but still do need to have energy.

Matrix

Matrix
03-04-2002, 03:51 PM
I think we are in agreement. You must free yourself of the idea of winning or losing or looking bad, or whatever irrelevant thoughts are causing the tension.

Tension is the wind that disturbs the calm water.

Matrix

Roy D. Anthony
03-05-2002, 10:39 PM
Most often, tension comes from taking chi sao a little too seriously. What I mean by that, is at the beginning of our training, we see all strikes as fatal in our chi sao, therefore we believe we are beaten. The trick is to view chi sao as a training exercise, and see every strike received as a learning device if you will. The Idea is that in the training room is where you are allowed to make mistakes, so that you can correct them rather than experience them outside in the real environment.
You will find that tension will be dismissed in favor of a more positive result.
Hope this helps!!!:)

S.Teebas
03-06-2002, 07:22 PM
Roy, i agree. thats somtihg i was playing with the other night. and i noticed when i "didnt care" it was heaps easier (for that moment).

I was trying to keep from getitng hit (and trying to affect the senior i was chi-sauing against) then my mind dirfted for moment and i hear "Wow..u got me." and i pay more attention and notice he's totally off ballance and im totally in control. (one of those good moments in WC ..u know!?)

Anyway it seems greed takes it away from you. hmm..'greed' or 'wanting'... or 'tyring to hit' (as old jong said). It seems an attitiude can make a work of difference!!

sticky fingers
03-08-2002, 10:06 AM
when I first started WC, I was really into weight training for size gain. That really affected my ability to relax. I was told I was still tense even though I thought I was relaxed. That's why I think weight training for size and strength does not go well with WC.

Also the fact that a person hasn't discovered the true economy of movement when they are starting something new, be it WC or anything else. When you first started your job how much longer and more sweat did you expend than compared to now, when you've done the same task over and over? I remember the first time I took motorcycle lessons, I would go home with sore buttcheeks cos I tensed up my butt muscles from nervousness and the unfamiliarity of riding something so much heavier than a bicycle.

Sabu
03-12-2002, 09:00 PM
I don't think tension is necessary in chi sau since it is not a fight. Tension is from the fear. Fear of getting hit. And when you fear you make a lot of mistakes. And the more mistakes you make the more tense you get. It's like a circle. You get caught up in the circle. You won't have the chance to do your tan sau, bong sau, lap sau, kwan sau, jit sau, gan da, fuk sau, wu sau, biu sau.

benny
03-12-2002, 09:09 PM
fear and anger are the same chemical in your brain its the way you have been inoculated to act in that instance. chi sao is the best way to retrain a persons subconciuos to react to a given situation ( not to tense up and go into the fetal position). being in that situation over and over again teaches you to react without your brain telling you you should be scared.

bravery isn't not being scared
its being scared and doing it anyway

Sabu
03-14-2002, 08:36 PM
Should we be angry instead? I think.....

Compassion and