PDA

View Full Version : To Everybody: I Need A Complete List Of Functional Footwork!!!!!!!!!!

KEUNG
03-02-2002, 11:28 PM
CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE ME A COMPLETE LIST OF FUNCTIONAL FOOTWORK THAT CAN BE USED IN REALITY FIGHTING AND PLEASE KINDLY TELL ME HOW TO EXECUTE EACH FOOTWORK?

ewallace
03-04-2002, 07:57 AM
Seriously brother what kind of questions are these? If I give you a fish you can eat for a day. If I teach you to fish you can eat for life. In other words, you will find much more value in learning a complete style. Otherwise find some NHB videos and watch as much boxing as you can and study the footwork.

PHILBERT
03-04-2002, 03:23 PM
It would be impossible to learn foot work without instruction.

Crazy dog
03-05-2002, 07:13 AM
Why not tie a shoelace(about twice your shoulder width long) to both your ankles. That is what I used to do. It teaches you not to get your legs so far apart.

Crazy dog
03-05-2002, 07:20 AM
Jump roping can develop foot work. Watch boxers they get in a slightly crouched position this gives stability and allows them to put more power into their punches. And when they move they stay on the balls of their feet. And when they punch the keep their feet firm. Learn to use your body.

Do you have an instructor. Have him help teach you foot work. If you don't you could find a boxing club or a martial arts dojo and take some instructional training. Tell them what you desire to work on and they will be more than happy to help you.

Sean Madigan
03-05-2002, 08:18 AM
Hi,

Here is an article from my website: http://www.CombativeSolutions.com

____________________________-

Two types Of Combative Solutions Footwork
By BIG Sean Madigan

In Combative Solutions, footwork is more then just a series of pre-programmed steps. Yes, we have the Step & Slide, the Quick Advance, the Push Shuffle and much more. However, when you really boil it down to the essence of the science of fighting, there are only two types of footwork that really matter. These two types are Proactive and Reactive footwork. Ah, see, you thought I was going to give you an example of another "type" such as a pendulum step, sorry, but this is a bit deeper then that.

A fight is not scripted and in your training you must keep in mind that you have not fighting a heavy bag. One of the biggest pit falls that many martial artist falls into is that they forget that not matter what they are trying to do to your opponent, most likely, the opponent is trying his hardest to do the very same thing to you. This is why we have both types of footwork, Proactive in which you use certain steps and movements to control the situation, and Reactive in which you move to answer the movements of your opponent.

An important point here is that in most cases, the actual steps used in both Proactive and Reactive Footwork are exactly the same, they are just used at different times. It is the principle that is important here, not so much the 'step'.

Proactive
If I am moving with my opponent, and he steps with a rhythm that is easy to understand, and I can determine what direction he will move in, then I will use a Proactive Strategy when it comes to my footwork. I move with the idea that my opponent will deal with my movements and I can now take advantage of his movement in a manner that I control.

Reactive
My opponent attacks, and I must be able to flow and move in such as way that I avoid the hit and still leave myself in a position that I can counter attack without having to move. My Reactive footwork must be of the caliper that I can react to movement, but in a controlled fashion. If my opponent attacks my legs with a kick, and my way of dealing with this attack is to move back four feet with whatever footwork I use, then I am not, in my opinion, using footwork as a tool. Even if what I did was exactly as it is described in a book or video. You see, it is not the actual steps that make this footwork "Combative", rather is the how that footwork is used that keeps it in line with Real Combative principles.

Now, lets look at that same attack: My opponent attacks my lead leg with a kick, but now, rather then moving back four feet, I only move my lead leg back a foot and compensate this movement with my rear leg as well, then just as the kick misses, I can spring forward with my counter attack. You see, I moved my opponent's target (my leg), but not to the point that I lost the ability to counter attack with one easy step. That is using Combative Solutions footwork.

MA fanatic
03-07-2002, 09:02 PM
How can anyone briefly explain footwork? LOL That is the funniest thread I have ever stumled onto. If you're talking about street fighting, in most situations you won't have to worry about footwork. You'll either be acting or most of all reacting. This will not be a tournament match or a competition. If you want to train for No Rules MA competitions, I'd stick with boxing, or muay thai footwork. Reason it works is because you're quite mobile, yet well defended and there is enough room for hip rotations which promotes power. I'd trash all official classical fighting stances and or stationary fighting positions. Anything which resembles cat stances, L stances, horse stances, front stances, etc. I wouldn't try. Just keep moving and dont get cornered. Put pressure on the guy to work him into the corner and finish.
MA fanatic

Ray Pina
03-14-2002, 02:32 PM
Walk the circle, or rather octagon.